LISTEN TO THE FULL CONCERT
- Spielberg, Taylor Join Thousands In Honoring John Williams At Tanglewood – Lenox, Mass — August 19, 2012 … The weather could not be better. Clear skies, cool temperatures, a slight breeze. They arrived carrying portable picnic tables, bottles of red and white wine, table candles and cheerful smiles. Over 15,000 people arrived at Tanglewood from all corners of the earth to enjoy a “film night”. But this was no ordinary film night. It was not to be playing a VHS tape or inserting a DVD into a slot, sit back and swallow popcorn with family and friends. No, what was to be a film night turned into an extravagant and memorable birthday party for world renowned composer John Williams. – Ful review
- A Summer Blockbuster, Far From the Multiplex – LENOX, Mass. — The composer John Williams turned 80 on Feb. 8, and the milestone was celebrated at a gala concert at Tanglewood on Saturday evening featuring Mr. Williams’s old band, the Boston Pops Orchestra, and contributions from starry guests like Steven Spielberg, Jessye Norman and James Taylor. – Full review
- Tanglewood hosts gala salute to Maestro Williams – LENOX – As a salute to the nation’s most famous composer and a beloved maestro whose association with the Boston Pops dates back 32 years, Tanglewood threw a mammoth birthday party for John Williams on Saturday night.
The nearly two-and-a-half-hour gala concert attracted a capacity crowd of about 18,000, Boston Symphony officials said. – Full review
- Boston Pops Toasts John Williams at 80 – LENOX — Tanglewood conjured up some Hollywood high gloss this weekend as some 18,000 listeners streamed onto festival grounds Saturday night for an 80th birthday tribute to John Williams. It was one part confetti-strewn spectacle, one part multi-genre musical survey, and one part lavish homage to the man whose music has defined for so many listeners the glittering ideal of the romantic film score. – Full review
- Tanglewood Celebrates John Williams’ 80th Birthday – LENOX - It’s a testament to John Williams’ artistic output that a tribute concert to the Oscar-winning composer and former conductor of the Boston Pops can only scratch the surface of his amazing career. – Full report at MassLive.com