“JOHN WILLIAMS: MAESTRO OF THE MOVIES”
September 1 & 2, 2017, Hollywood Bowl, CA
The Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by JOHN WILLIAMS and David Newman
David Newman conducting
- March from The Adventures of Robin Hood (Korngold)
- Night Journeys from Dracula (Williams)
- Selections from Doctor Zhivago (Jarre) – with film
- Cathy’s Theme from Wuthering Heights (Newman, arr. Morley)
Bing Wang, violin solo
- Born in a Trunk from A Star is Born (Edens/Gershe) – with film
‘Music of John Williams’
John Williams Conducting
- The Adventures of Mutt from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
- Excerpts from Close Encounters of the Third Kind
- Three Selections from Harry Potter
The Chamber of Secrets (with film)
Aunt Marge’s Waltz
Harry’s Wondrous World
- Dear Basketball (with film) – World Concert Premiere
Kobe Bryant, narrator
- Three Selections from Star Wars
Scherzo for X-Wings
Rey’s Theme (with film)
The Throne Room & Finale
- Theme from Sabrina
- The Imperial March from The Empire Strikes Back
- Main Title March from Superman
- The Flying Theme from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
Rehearsal report by Karelm (original post):
First of all, you won’t believe it but he didn’t wear a black turtleneck. Too hot today. He wore a navy polo and trousers.
Johnny looked great, healthy and as invigorated as ten years ago at the bowl. Lots of stamina. The orchestra just adores him. During the break, he was surrounded by beaming orchestra players who wanted to give him a hug or take a picture. These usually jaded musicians were star struck.
There were a few pieces I didn’t recognize so some from his films that are not the standard fare with some standards to keep everyone else happy but the ratio was about 50/50 old with new.
The Koybe Bryant piece was very sweet. It reminded me of Cadillac of the Skies without chorus with a solemn build up to inspiring and moving climax. Very Williamsy.
Some music includes Aunt Marge’s Waltz from Prisoner of Azhaban which was great fun to hear live. Harry’s wondrous world, Close Encounters, Adventures of Mutt, Scherzo for X-wings, Rey’s Theme, Sabrina, Throne Room and End Titles (probably encore), Basketball, and a few I couldn’t place.
Another thing, in the rehearsal, JW is 200% focused on performance. What he might say during the show could differ from what he said in the rehearsal. Rehearsal talk was about orchestral balance, phrasing, etc. He said “I want to play the first few bars of the Throne Room”. They literally played about 10 seconds and he cut them off and he said “good, I said only the first few bars so now next cue”. to give you an idea. He read through Sabrina twice and the second time said “play it twice as charming”. He used the least amount of words to make the most about of difference.
— Kobe Bryant (@kobebryant) September 2, 2017
Finale from Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Dear Basketball – World Concert Premiere. Narrated by Kobe Bryant
Rey’s Theme from The Force Awakens
The Throne Room and Finale from Star Wars