All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. TownerFan

The Legacy of John Williams - New Blog on JW

A look back to John Williams’ lively, exciting score for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom on the 35th anniversary of its theatrical release: https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2019/05/24/indiana-jones-temple-of-doom-35-anniversary/
  3. bollemanneke

Switching from DVD to Blu-Ray - is it worth it?

I don't think Blu-Rays took off in 2006 where I live. I got my first laptop in 2004 and was on top of the world because it could play DVDs. My last laptop was bought in 2016 and it STILL only plays DVDs, so it's not like they're going out of their way to make Blu-Ray attractive.
  4. The Original

But you can't stream everything. Not in Australia at least, since we're geolocked on a lot of services. And no, I'm not getting a VPN, which is yet another friggin thing I have to pay for on top of streaming outlets and my internet bill.
  5. mstrox

4K Ultra HD is technology from 2016. In 2019, you should be contemplating uploading your brain to the cloud, leaving your corporeal self behind forever and experiencing the movies from within the film itself.
  6. Switching from DVD to Blu Ray in 2019? Blu Ray is technology from 2006. In 2019, you should be either contemplating 4K Ultra HD, or moving beyond physical media and just streaming everything
  7. The Original

Bear McCreary's Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

It has its moments. Will lack the longevity of David Arnold's work.
  8. Jurassic Shark

I Found It: Fanfare for Dukakis

And a rewrite?
  9. mstrox

the mstrox thread

sounds good as hell, stuart - better than my friday! i have monday off, so im hoping for a similar chill day
  10. Jurassic Shark

Picard (2019 Star Trek TV Series)

Is there a Trekkie school?
  11. El Jefe

Picard (2019 Star Trek TV Series)

No I enjoy it as well and I’m an old school Trekkie.
  12. El Jefe

Star Wars Disenchantment

Yes, much better to send them out first so they can get cancelled right away.
  13. I saw them at Target for $39.99 each. A bit underwhelming after a few listens.
  14. Jurassic Shark

I'd go for VHS, or, even better, 16mm.
  15. Thor

I Found It: Fanfare for Dukakis

Sort of, yeah. But don't you think it would have improved a bit with a better performance (and sound quality)?
  16. The Original

Bear McCreary's Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019)

This score's got some real Alien³ bits in it.
  17. The Original

Accuracy and fidelity has always been something I've been fussy about.
  18. Today
  19. Disco Stu

the mstrox thread

I'm off work today and don't really have any plans beyond go on a long bike ride and play videogames. Plus I just had a delicious breakfast sandwich and a double espresso. Life is.... good?
  20. mstrox

the mstrox thread

apparently the wind and rain and tornadoes and hurricanes and wolves that the weatherman called for yesterday did not happen. it was beautiful all day! hot tho a little cooler today, low humidity, not a cloud in the sky. still gonna sweat over my hour lunch. im not a weatherman, but gonna guess.....chance of rain......eh, 5%. friday is upon us. what would u do if u, were upon friday
  21. mstrox

DVD is probably fine for your watching method - although DVDs will go away before Blu-rays. It won't go away as quickly as VHS did when DVD came around, because Blu-ray players also play DVDs, but all TVs that are sold now are hi def widescreen affairs. Eventually it will be the standard. Buying a Blu-ray drive is smart - it will also play your DVDs, so spending the slight extra amount now will future-proof you whatever you decide. Your crackling sounds may well be your speakers.
  22. Stefancos

The PAL speed-up is a good reason to upgrade if that bothers you. If it doesnt, and the difference between DVD lossy audio or Blu-ray lossless audio isnt all that noticeable. I wouldnt upgrade. You can actually wonder how long physical media has left anyway?
  23. The Original

Blu-rays usually carry a lossless audio track, as opposed to DVD's lossy tracks. And if you live in a country where PAL was the video standard, blu-ray will play films at the correct speed and pitch.
  24. TSMefford

Blu-Rays are in general, absolutely more worth it. Not only is the picture quality greatly improved, but yes, the sound is also greatly improved. And commonly for things released before Blu-Ray on DVD only, then later released on Blu-Ray will have a different transfer. So it's highly possible that sound issues present on DVDs will be absent from their blu-rays. Keep in mind that for computer viewing, most will not play Blu-Rays right out of the box. Many require additional software to PLAY the Blu-Ray (even if you buy a drive)
  1. Load more activity