• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.

Thor

Members
  • Content count

• Last visited

• Days Won

Thor last won the day on March 2

Thor had the most liked content!

1 Follower

About Thor

• Rank
    Veteran

Contact Methods

• Website URL
    http://www.celluloidtunes.no

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

13345 profile views
  1. Hans Zimmer will not score this movie, despite his longstanding connection to Ron Howard. He has expressed his admiration for Williams in several interviews, and how he is a very different kind of composer. So even if he was asked by his friend, he'd most likely say no. I really have very little interest in speculating who should be the composer. As long as it's not Giacchino or Desplat, I'm open to almost anyone.
  2. Yes, this has been my take from the get-go too, exemplified so clearly in the last episode. Like the good doctor above, I've also seen sudden changes like this upfront -- within my own extended family, even. The realism and intensity of this segue was one of the most powerful moments of the episode and whole series.
  3. Seemed fairly obvious to me. He was left sitting in the ruins of his house, with everything taken from him -- his job and his self-professed, false disowning of his brother.
  4. Who said anything about 'objective raw reality'? These are all subjective picks and evaluations. That being said, if judging by a score's position and popularity in the public and among film score fans, some picks are certainly more bewildering than others. Not less valid, but more surprising.
  5. What? JOHN GOLDFARB, THE BOOK THIEF and POSEIDON ADVENTURE are bewildering choices for 'least favourite'?
  6. I actually loved that part of the episode, perhaps my favourite part. Chuck's apparent recovery has been set up as a faulty expectation over several episodes, and in this episode it all came crashing down (I think it's not only connected to his forced retirement, but also because of his 'fake' comment to Jimmy "I've never really cared about you"....the opening campfire sequence suggested otherwise). On the other hand, Jimmy had somewhat of a moral recovery with his admission of guilt to the retirees. In many ways, this episode was about fall and redemption to one degree or another. That cliffhanger was pretty intense, and I'm hardpressed to see Chuck getting out of this alive.
  7. He, he....lots of narrative lines in the show that have been introduced, but then never explored again (thus far). I just hope he doesn't go all Lindelof on us, and manages to tie everything together -- if in a Lynchian way.
  8. Didn't Joaquin Phoenix already do that "schtick"? Sorry to hear this, if it is indeed true. Way too young and talented to retire.
  9. Record! Record! I don't know if I have access to the net at that time, nor if it's available outside the US.
  10. Whazzap with the Tyler Bates dissing? Is it because of the 300 controversy? I think he's delivered some solid scores over his career, although he is by no means on my radar. It's more weird that he was used as the 'poster' for the film during the previously mentioned Oslo Pix screening.
  11. Oh, I agree. Even weirder to see JURASSIC PARK, though -- which is only, like, one of the greatest pieces of music written in the history of all music! (and I mean every word of that). But that's the fascinating thing about the different wiring in our brains. It can yield such diametrically opposite reactions.
  12. Breaking & Bad?
  13. Alrighty, then. I'm not going to berate you or anything, but for me, they are obviously all the very best of John Williams.
  14. Absolutely, but I can see where filmmusic is coming from in terms of his background and culture. Curiously, for me it resonated very well even as a youngster, but then we are more closely connected to British culture than Greek culture in Norway...