• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.

Incanus

Moderators
  • Content count

• Last visited

• Days Won

Incanus last won the day on August 11

Incanus had the most liked content!

1 Follower

About Incanus

• Rank
    The One True John Williams Believer, Keeper of the Faith
  • Birthday 06/28/82

Contact Methods

• MSN
    olorin01@hotmail.com
  • Website URL
    http://

Profile Information

Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Recent Profile Visitors

26985 profile views
  1. Think of the shock value of the movie when they reveal Rey's parentage AFTER the new trilogy is over!
  2. Label Threads

Thanks. I should have scoured more widely through the jungles of internet retailers to find it.
  3. E.g. the final battle is still some of the most thrilling film music I have ever heard. Nail biting suspense and superb emotional denouement. Enough said indeed.
  4. Memoirs of a Geisha by John Williams: I love how this score pushed Williams to somewhat new musical directions by the incorporation of the Japanese musical influences into his standard Western symphonic ensemble. The soloists add so much resonance to the music and the composer employs Yo-Yo Ma's and Itzhak Perlman's talents to the full here even when the lines they perform are not always that complex in and of themselves. The recording is also one of the most nuanced and crispest in a Williams score bringing out just the right amount of reverb and clarity to make every moment from orchestra and soloists shine. The music is often turned inward, depiction of restrained emotion and outward calm and the composer holds off from grand crescendos until the very end where the piece called Confluence absolutely soars, the music having earned the final big statement of the Sayuri/Chiyo material developed throughout the score. As Yo-Yo Ma once put it, in Williams' writing even the pauses seem to speak, so thoughtfully the notes have been chosen and it is very much so here and nowhere so obvious than in the famous cellist's heartfelt and skilfull solos. Every time I listen to this score I am reminded how fantastic it is from the delicate oboe solos to the evocations of Japanese moods through instrumentation and themes.
  5. Label Threads

Forget it. It's gone! I wasn't fast enough. Which means I didn' get a copy. Oh well. Next time.
  6. This is one of my favourite scores period but I find that it is so emotionally exhausting it is something I want to have time to experience in its enterity in relative quietude. It deserves no less.
  7. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey by Howard Shore: Good stuff. Makes me miss the Abbey Road and LPO all the more though. I loved that particular sound for Middle-earth.
  8. Welcome to the forums Zachary. However as forum rules state: So I removed the link to the PDF. You may describe the sheet music and what you are looking for but you can't post direct links to the material here. I believe you are looking for recordings of this Hal Leonard published suite: Star Wars Suite for Orchestra Score and Parts Series: John Williams Signature Edition Orchestra Composer: John Williams Total performance time - ca. 24:00 I. Main Title (5:20) II. Princess Leia's Theme (4:30) III. The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme) (3:05) IV. Yoda's Theme (3:30) V. Throne Room & End Title (5:35) As far as I know no orchestra has recorded this particular suite in this form. I do not know if the orchestrations match 100 % with the ones in the official Hal Leonard suite but this 1990 album John Williams Conducts John Williams: The Star Wars Trilogy Star Wars, The Emperor Strikes Back, Return Of The Jedi contains all the pieces that comprise the suite conducted by John Williams and performed by the Skywalker Symphony Orchestra.
  9. Ugh don't remind me of that awful RotK moment. Green slime ghosts sweeping up Mordor armies and Legolas taking down the Mûmakil. I think the gangrene was in PJ's brain.
  10. Williams really adds the mythical and spiritual atmosphere of the scene with his subtly religioso music that really enhances to the impact of the dialogue and supports it wonderfully. At the same time it hints at the underlying darkness of the whole scene in no uncertain terms as this is after all Star Wars. Great stuff.
  11. There should be FOUR LEGS! FOUR!
  12. Label Threads

I'll have to pick this one up. Hopefully it won't sell out in a day.
  13. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug by Howard Shore: A terrific score and perhaps the most "Hobbit" of the three as the new music comes to its own here after the LotR referencing AUJ and before the ear-bleed inducing "more EPIC blockbuster battle music!" aesthetics of BOTFA.