• MSN
    olorin01@hotmail.com
  • Website URL
    http://

Profile Information

Finland the fierce land of polar bears and penguins

Recent Profile Visitors

28851 profile views
  1. I think a lot of people are going to be happy since TTT was the Complete Recordings set most people seemed to have missed the first time around and it fetched ridiculous prices in the secondary market.
  2. So it is Han Hero Theme and Han Searching Theme as Powell puts it in the Variety article:
  3. I have to say that Williams still has the knack for writing the catchiest of melodies. This Han tune has been playing in my head ever since I first heard it. Hummable, quite hummable I say.
  4. The Birthday Thread

Happy Birthday @Josh500!!!
  5. GAME OF THRONES

Obviously the iron throne looks cool.
  6. The Adventures of Han feels to me like a collection of ideas associated with Han Solo, the A- and B-themes with different dramatic purposes and swashbuckling exciting sounding action music to characterize his often dangerous exploits. In a way a sort of thematic manual for Powell to use in his score in ways he saw fit. And as such a composite composition it feels akin to the Rebellion Is Reborn suite from the Last Jedi which combined Rose's Theme and Ahch-To/Luke in Exile Theme in a similar economic fashion.
  7. John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018)

These days there are so many sound layers competing for attention as they want to get every little thing on the sound track that it must be a pain to try to mix these things in a way that compliments all the different elements.
  8. John Powell's SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY (2018)

Do you mean the score that was hacked and slashed to pieces by Cameron with hardly any of the composer's original intentions left untouched? I haven't seen the film in ages so I don't remember how well the actual sound department fared in that movie.
  9. What Is The Last Score You Listened To?

The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn by John Williams Medal of Honor: Airborne by Michael Giacchino The Mummy by Jerry Goldsmith Damnation Alley by Jerry Goldsmith
  10. The Official Miklos Rozsa Thread

It is on my to-get list. Is it anything like Ivanhoe in style?
  11. What's The Last Book You Read?

Trio from Patrick Rothfuss: The Name of the Wind The Wise Man's Fear The Slow Regard of Silent Things, a novella A great new find for me. Rothfuss writes fantasy with great lyricism and his love of language and words really shines through. His descriptions of music and music making are some of the most fascinating I have ever read. The Wise Man's Fear, the second part of The Kingkiller Chronicle trilogy, does have a bit meandering quality to it, which I hope isn't an indication Game of Thrones styled world building wanderings that do not advance the plot. Looking forward to the volume three The Doors of Stone which has been in the making for nearly 7 years now.
  12. What Is The Last Score You Listened To?

I don't think I have given the OST a spin since early 2000's as I find it a highly unsatisfying presentation of the music from the film as it is missing so many highlights. Banner Saga by Austin Wintory: While quite sparse in orchestrations I do have certain fondness for the quasi-Nordic atmosphere and vocal work found in this score. As always Wintory builds a very compelling and unique aural atmosphere with his music while also crafting the work a thematic through-line which gives it dramatic heft and cohesion. Medal of Honor: Underground by Michael Giacchino: This one is not quite as satisfying as the first score or the other sequels but gives its own unique spin to the franchise with a new main theme for the new main French Resistance character and a lot of entertaining locale and action setpieces that dance away with jaunty motion that owes a lot to John Williams' Indiana Jones scores in particular. Choir is also an added colour here, e.g. in The Battle of Monte Cassino which uses a boys choir to bolster the liturgical undertones of the track and Amongst the Dead containing some cool creepy choral work.
  13. No I can't say I am but they all have been limited releases that I think are now sold out. And as much as I love original recordings of film scores, for these older scores I often enjoy the modern re-recordings more.
  14. Another excellent work with two gorgeous love themes. The Tadlow re-recording is well worth investigating. But as with most Rózsa epics the sheer volume of material and the certain relentlessness can be a bit much in full form unless you are in the right mood.