• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.

Max

Members
  • Content count

• Last visited

• Days Won

Max last won the day on May 28 2015

Max had the most liked content!

About Max

• Rank
    Regular Poster

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

2860 profile views
  1. *insert gif of Mace Windu saying "Our worst fears have been realized."* One of my fears when Lucasfilm started making Star Wars films again was that Zimmer or his clones would eventually score a Star Wars movie. I guess it's a real possibility now... I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for Giacchino.
  2. A thought: From this tweet, it sounds like they've been in the studio before to record some music. Since the picture that I originally linked to in the main post was sheet music with Giacchino's name on it, posted on Facebook by a Mexican band (Banda Tierra Mojada), that would mean (assuming the image was legit) that they were already recording some of Giacchino's score in the studio by at least December. So while this tweet doesn't confirm anything, it doesn't rule out Giacchino's involvement either... Also, in this interview, Giacchino mentions that there are some movies he can't announce his involvement with yet, and then lists everything we know he's attached to at this point (Spider-Man: Homecoming, War for the Planet of the Apes, Incredibles 2, and Jurassic World 2). So, given that there's something else on the horizon that Giacchino can't announce yet, and given that the sheet music image on Facebook was quickly removed and there is still no official announcement on a composer for Coco, maybe Giacchino really is scoring this, and Pixar is just trying to keep his involvement a secret for some reason. But why keep something like this a secret? (Maybe this is too much theorizing, but a guy can dream, right?)
  3. I really liked the suite! I feel like Giacchino's theme is a nice, balanced representation of Tom Holland's Peter Parker (a naive, well-meaning high schooler) and this Spider-Man (a coming-of-age superhero), at least as they appear in Civil War and in the trailers for this movie. Admittedly, I'm not as familiar with the other Spider-Man themes beyond their main titles, but I feel like Giacchino's theme could service this iteration of the character well. I like the Vulture's theme, too, though I do agree that it sounds like it could be a Star Trek villain's theme (not that that's a bad thing), and I love what I assume is the love theme toward the end of the suite. I'm excited to hear these themes used in context!
  4. I agree. I saw the movie Thursday night, and I found it perfectly enjoyable. It seems to me that the critics felt "betrayed" by the genre shift or felt that the genre shift was a result of "clumsiness" on Trevorrow's part, but honestly, the genre shift (i.e., the preparation for and suspense of the film's third act) was my favorite part of the movie. I also enjoyed Naomi Watts' performance. Overall, I don't think the movie deserves the disgust the critics appear to have for it, and I'm still very excited to see Trevorrow's Episode IX. I like Giacchino's score, too. Admittedly, I'm a bigger fan of his blockbuster scores than his smaller scores, but I like the colors in this one, and the score plays well throughout the movie. The score in the "Research and Development" scene really stood out to me in the theater, so I was happy to hear that cue on the soundtrack. Also, I'm not bothered by Giacchino's punny track titles like some are, but I did find it odd that he chose "regular" track titles for this with the exception of Anyway, other than those and "The Parable of the Talents," the rest of the track titles just reflect events in the movie (unless I'm missing a pun somewhere). Thanks, Richard! Nice to be back! I'm sad I missed most of the discussions on Giacchino's recent scores, but at least I'm back in time for Spider-Man: Homecoming and War for the Planet of the Apes!
  5. The film comes out next Friday, June 16, but we haven't heard anything about a soundtrack release yet (unlike War for the Planet of the Apes and Spider-Man: Homecoming, which come out next month and have both been announced). Could it be possible that someone announces the soundtrack and releases it by Friday, or could this mean the soundtrack is delayed or not guaranteed?
  6. According to sources, the delay was because the film was testing well with audiences and the studio felt that the film would perform better earlier in the summer (June) rather than in September. From Variety:
  7. The new trailer is exciting! Lots of potential for Giacchino!
  8. The first trailer has been released! I'm intrigued. I'm excited to hear what approach Giacchino takes for this.
  9. War for the Planet of the Apes begins recording tomorrow!! This is probably my most anticipated 2017 score from Giacchino. I can't wait to hear him build upon his themes from Dawn (which I listened to earlier today) and to hear what new themes he's written!
  10. I'm not sure if this deserves its own thread or not, but Sky High is finally getting a release from Intrada. Track List: 01. Sky High Opening (4:48) 02. Trouble Downtown (0:46) 03. Next Stop… Sky High (1:35) 04. Round-Up (0:36) 05. Welcome To Sky High (1:11) 06. Power Placement (Brandon Christy/Michael Giacchino) (2:31) 07. Still Looking/Stare Down (0:28) 08. Lollipopless/The Secret Sanctum (3:55) 09. Medulla All Blown-Uppa/I’m A Sidekick (1:41) 10. Vat’s An Idea!/Respect The Hat (1:14) 11. Cafeteria Brawl/Proud Papa (3:34) 12. Movin’ On Up (0:34) 13. A Friendly Wave (0:33) 14. Sidekicked Out (0:52) 15. Save The Citizen And Private Tutor (Michael Giacchino/Kevin Riepl/Chris Tilton) (4:04) 16. Kiss Of Death (0:56) 17. Homecoming News/Makeout Sanctum (1:28) 18. Keeping Promises (0:42) 19. She’s Totally Into You (0:37) 20. Gotta Get To Sky High (1:23) 21. Pacified (3:41) 22. Fighting Back (1:24) 23. Royal Pain Is Monologuing (4:38) 24. That Could’ve Been Messy (3:03) 25. You Saved Sky High (1:14) 26. Sky High End Credits (2:02) Time: 49:50 The Extras (Additional Cues) 27. Bus Away (0:10) 28. Power Placement – Coda (Brandon Christy/Michael Giacchino)* (0:08) 29. Starting With You (0:10) 30. A Friendly Wave (Alternate Take)* (0:32) Extras Time: 1:04 Total Time: 51:10
  11. Maybe Pixar asked them to take it down because they haven't made an official announcement yet?
  12. I guess we should take this with a grain of salt until it is confirmed, but according to this photo, it would appear that Michael Giacchino has already composed the score for Pixar's Coco! I hope this turns out to be true. It could be a colorful score from him!