• Last visited

About Nick66

• Rank
    Regular Poster
  • Birthday May 04

Profile Information

• Gender Male
  • Location Oxford, UK
  1. She noticed his unabashed stare, but this time she only smiled.
  2. I'd now rank the Star Wars films thusly:   1. The Empire Strikes Back 2. Star Wars 3. The Force Awakens 4. Return of the Jedi 5. Revenge of the Sith 6. The Phantom Menace                           7. Attack of the Clones
  3. How Mutt's Theme should have sounded like?

The fact that there's something called "The Adventures of Mutt" always reminds me of just how wrong that whole enterprise was.   I have a separate, small shelf where I put the Prequel Trilogy, Alien 3 & 4, Matrix 2 & 3 and Crystal Skull Blu-Rays, segregated safely from their counterparts.    Right now I'm going back and forth on whether to move The Hobbit films there.
  4. Rey's Theme – John Williams' Best Theme Yet?

I found it cracking.
  5. I just don't see how the math works on that one.
  6. Reflecting on the film a bit (which I loved), I did notice a couple unwelcome holdovers to some of the things Abrams did in Star Trek.   For one, after watching the film, I would have liked have had a little more information on the Republic, the Resistance and the First Order. And it occurred to me that in fact in fact Abrams gave similar short shrift to the Federation in Star Trek (oddly described as a "peacekeeping and humanitarian armada").  I came away with the impression that Abrams just simply wasn't interested in that kind of exposition, or those aspects of the story, at all.  I certainly didn't want the story getting bogged down in it, ala the PT, but I would have liked a little bit more.  I'm sure those are things that Abrams was happy to let other directors handle in future films.   Another Abrams holdover from Star Trek was the notion of very young, inexperienced people suddenly becoming powerful and effective enough as to almost render experience moot...i.e. a bunch of green Starfleet cadets almost effortlessly assuming senior positions on a Starship, and Rey's sudden skill with a lightsaber. I would have preferred to see the scene unfold as it did right up to the moment Rey picks up the sabre, at which time Ren should disarm and bring her close to death fairly quickly after toying with her a bit...and then some deus ex machina saving the day and Rey...which Abrams did only minutes later with the Starkiller base coming apart anyway.  But in this case, I think Abrams wanted a proper Rey lightsaber duel in his movie, and he got it.
  7. I had no objection, in concept, to the politics in the prequels and learning more about the Republic, Senate, their relationship with the Jedi Council etc.  In some ways the story (at least the one Lucas wanted to tell) demanded it. My issue is with the ham fisted, clunky and vapid way it was all handled. 
  8. We saw a lot of things in the Prequels, most of which I'm trying to forget. I think Abrams was doing the same.
  9. What's of most interest to me is how much time will have passed between Episodes VII & VIII. I think most people are operating under the assumption that, given how TFA ends, VIII will pick up right away. Which I suppose makes sense from a story standpoint, but would certainly be inconsistent with the lengthy gaps between Episodes in the previous trilogies.   Yes, I can see a scenario that picks up almost immediately, with Rey's training, etc. I could also see a jump of several months (if not more) where Rey is already well into her training.   I'm also more or less leaning towards Rey being Luke's kid. Oh and I think of Yoda's race, Maz Kanata is.
  10. The Force Awakens ALBUM Discussion (No Film Spoilers)

I'm a little surprised at the relative lack of love this score seems to be getting.  It's instantly connected with me in a way the Prequel scores, and The Hobbit scores, haven't.  As someone who has spent a fair amount of time lurking this board, I think many of you are better than I am at separating the music from film itself. I've found that, no matter how much I may be able to appreciate a score on its own merits, there's a limit to how much I'll revisit the music if I haven't connected to the film on a certain level (as I have with this film).   Is there any word on an expanded edition?
  11. I'm just sorta taking this as a given.
  12. I'd pick the LOTR scores, which I adore, over the Prequel scores or TFA. But for much of The Hobbit score I was never quite sure what Shore was doing. Or Jackson for that matter. Listening to BOTFA gives me a headache.
  13. I don't. I'm sure they probably will. The fact that I'm nitpicking about wanting to know the state of galactic politics pretty much demonstrates how much I unabashedly enjoyed this film. Had a stupid grin on my face throughout. That's not to say I didn't have some minor issues with it, but on the whole I was happy to be manipulated by the nostalgia of what as essentially a remake. Which is just what Star Wars needed, IMO.
  14. I didn't mind the way Han died, but he needed a proper goodbye. "Tell Leia I love here"..."She knows". Something like that. Can someone explain to me what's going on with the Republic? Do they even have a proper functioning government? A military? Is the chess board basically where it was at the beginning of ANH..i.e. a bunch of scrappy rebels fighting against an all powerful enemy? Was that Corsuscant that got blown away by the Starkiller base? I heard vague references to the Republic and the Senate, but if there really is a new Republic and Senate running the show, what is the "resistance"? Are they somehow separate from the Republic?