Nick1066 had the most liked content!

About Nick1066

• Rank
    Regular Poster
  • Birthday May 4

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

2158 profile views
  1. Well, er, thanks for that, um, contribution to the thread.
  2. What's really amazing is how endeared she became to a whole new generation with The Force Awakens. And I'm not just talking about the movie, but that amazing promotional tour she did for the film. Her humour and wit just won people over by droves, and were it not for that I'm not sure the internet would be reacting today the way it is, it would be more old school fans. I'm glad so many people got to know of her, and her struggles, over the past year. She was my first crush and was a big part of why Star Wars changed my life. This hits me harder than I thought it would, and she'll be sorely missed. And she knows.
  3. This article is petty far off the mark. And this is absurd... I suppose that might be true but for the ponderous (and ultimately repetitive) prologue, which weighs down the film verily and mightily. And while there are not "endless scenes" about the shadow in the East, there is endless droning on about honour and oaths and what not. Indeed, given that the subject matter is much more weighty in LOTR vs. The Hobbit, AUJ feels like a weighed down, cumbersome, laborious slog once they leave the Shire (though up until then the film is quite charming excepting the prologue). In any event, the author of this piece is to be dismissed outright for his imbecilic use of "xenophobic". The original Forbes review of AUJ also argued, also unpersuasively, that it was the best Middle-Earth movie since Fellowship. Despite its flaws, I'd rank it 4th among Middle-Earth films. With a very, very large gap between 3 and 4.
  4. It should be noted in the midst of our sorrow that death takes place in the shadow of new life. She's not really dead if we find a way to remember her.
  5. I saw that QI, and she was just on 8 out of 10 Cats (a similar show) last night for their Christmas special, which I happened to catch. Obviously she filmed it here in the UK, and as far as I know it was the last public appearance she made.
  6. They did (though they weren't required to).
  7. Unless they had specific permission from Fisher (which they may), they won't be able to do with her Episode IX what they did with Cushing in Rogue One. Without getting too much into the weeds on this, California has right of publicity protections for performers for such eventualities; in the UK, where Cushing was a resident, there's currently no right of publicity after death.
  8. Whether you're a boy or girl is a decision everyone has to make for themselves. Nature and genetics have nothing to do with it. Transgenderphobe! CISgender Nazi!
  9. I was actually just wondering why Williams left Harry Potter, and this seemed like as good a thread to ask the question in as any. I wish JW would have passed on one of the Spielberg projects to continue Harry Potter, it would have been nice to see him do the whole series. While on the whole the historic collaboration between the Maestro and Spielberg has been a good one, I can't help but think in some ways it limited both of them as artists. I think it would have been good, for both of them, to work with other directors/composers (respectively).
  10. If Williams is untouchable, then why did he leave Harry Potter after the third film?
  11. Just saw this, and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. A bit disjointed at times, and definitely sags a bit in the middle, but the last third was classic Star Wars and I was on the edge of my seat. Some of the most stunning visuals every in a SW film, and I'd say the best space battle. Gia's score, which I've been listening to all week, did the job better than it has a right to. I think I got every OT reference, and it was clearly the most nostalgia driven of the Star Wars films made since the OT. It might just be a little sad that my favourite parts were those call backs...I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it nearly as much without them. The old "found footage" of the rebel pilots worked great, and I spotted it right away. The CGI Tarkin and Leia, however, took me out of the movie every time and I don't think it's going to stand the test of time. Again, the film did feel a bit cobbled together and tonally inconsistent, a product of the reshoots I imagine. What's the board consensus on this film?
  12. I've seen the FYC site, but have the tracks, um, popped up anywhere? Surprised how much I'm digging this.
  13. Shadowlands is indeed sublime, even if it doesn't feature Tolkien per se, and even if Deborah Winer's performance is grating. You've reminded me that I need to watch it again.