About Nick1066

• Rank
    Regular Poster
  • Birthday May 4

Profile Information

Oxford, UK

Recent Profile Visitors

1930 profile views
  1. Easiest poll ever. You should be banned for this.
  2. True fans ("Ringers") managed to pick up the limited edition with the 5.1 audio. You haven't lived until you've heard "The Ent Theme (mock up)" with the full, immersive surround experience. Sublime.
  3. This is really an excellent comment. Very perceptive. I agree that Yate's deliberate move to add weight and tension to the films, in increasing doses, robbed them of much of their joy, wonder and mirth. To a certain extent this was necessary, after all the stakes are getting higher and these kids are getting older. And as you point out what Yates does do, he does effectively. In point of fact I like his Potter films, all of them. But would we care about it all, or any of these people, if we hadn't gotten to know them already? These films exist as a supplement to the books, and even people who haven't read the books, I believe, allow for that and forgive certain story lapses they might not in another film. And since people are more concerned with what Harry, Ron and Hermione are doing than how many Horcruxes have been destroyed and who Babbling Bathlida Prunebottom is, they just sort of go with it. But now instead of fresh faced Harry, Ron and Hermione being our eyes to this new magical world we see already odd looking Eddie Raymer entering a world we already know and have certain expectations of. So the question is, what will the overriding feeling be? Excitement at what's new, or missing what's not there? Why should we care about any of those fantastic beasts in his suitcase when we only cared about the Hippogriff because Harry was flying it.
  4. Well fuck you! (Not really Bloodboal, but I've been led to believe this is the expected way to express disagreement here)
  5. It used to be 41 reviews, but mine was taken down for an Amazon TOS violation.
  6. I don't know if it's epic, but it felt that way to me at the time...the first piece of film music I ever fell in love with...Ben's Death and TIE Fighter Attack. Such a perfect marriage of film and music that left an indelible impression on me. It was because of the first 60 seconds of that piece that I bought the Star Wars soundtrack and it represents everything I got into film music for in the first place.
  7. Well said. And as indicated earlier, it all goes back those characters, their friendships, etc. The magic was important, of course, but there are a million books about magic. It's the characters that made that series, which is why I remain unconvinced about the new films. The whole thing feels a bit soulless to me. But we'll see, I don't want to pre-judge it (though admittedly I already have).
  8. Many Partings: Jackson, Pope and the Departure of Shoramir
  9. Shore Leave: The Inside Story of Howard Shore, Peter Jackson, a giant ape and the end of an era.
  10. Unless the book has a tell all chapter on what really went down between Shore and Jackson, from King Kong through The Hobbit, including dirt on Pope, then no sale.
  11. Well, maybe not quite the deadliest writing device.
  12. Ah, well Finns are made for epic poetry, aren't they! I lived in St. Petersburg for a couple years and took the ferry to Helsinki many times and I think I noticed more people carrying around and reading books there than just about any other place I've been. A very literate lot.
  13. It's not a prose translation, though it's certainly not in dactylic hexameter, which I agree is a chore in English. Rather Fagles (a poet himself) typically favours a 5 or 6 beat stress, which is quite effective (IMO) and one of the reasons his translation is so well regarded. You come away with an appreciation for Homer's breadth and pace without the sheer sense of exhaustion the blind poet's 15+ beat lines can leave you with. And for purposes of my comment, it suits McKellen perfectly. There's something satisfying about experiencing a work, which after all has its roots in the oral tradition, in this way. Though who knows how Professor Tolkien would have felt about it. His controversial appraisal of Shakespeare is well known, but if he's commented on Homer I'm unaware of it.