• Announcements

• Jay

PLEASE DONATE to JWFAN if you can!   08/16/16

Hello JWFan members,   The team behind JWFan needs your help!   We need annual donations to keep our community running   This is for the domain name, IPBoard license, and server space.   We hope you can help use with a donation of any size.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage. Thank you!   The Administration team

Lonnegan

Members
  • Content count

• Last visited

1 Follower

About Lonnegan

• Rank
    BS Detective
  • Birthday 05/02/77

Contact Methods

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

32178 profile views
  1. I completed The Witcher 3. Phew! An absolute monster of a game and arguably one of the greatest hardcore RPGs ever made. Utterly stunning to look at in the right weather conditions, too, it can be breathtaking. I managed to secure one of the better endings so I'm pretty satisfied with how it finally played out, even if I did entirely stop taking on contracts and side quests after 90 hours or so. The whole thing took me 116 hours, which means that's gonna be it for me and big games for another year or two. Now I have a massive craving to shoot things in the face violently for a few days. Doom it is!
  2. I wonder how many more kids shows/movies Cremers will watch until he finally tires of telling us he doesn't like kids shows/movies. Nine? Nine hundred and ninety nine? Over the years it's always been very important to him that we all know just how much he doesn't enjoy kids shows/movies. He'll go out of his way to say it until his personal mission is seemingly achieved. I wonder what it's all about? Anyway, Stranger Things is currently a 3 out of 5 show, with potential.
  3. What does that have to do with visual aesthetics?
  4. I'm much more of a lurker there, but I've grown quite accustomed to Reddit in the last year, it's a great little resource for very specific things I'm interested in. Also the friendliest communities I've encountered online.
  5. I'm not talking about the special effects at all. I'm talking about the photography.
  6. It looks better in some places than it does in others, IMO. For the high fantasy of LotR I suppose I find the visual presentation agreeable enough. But it never turned out in the way I'd imagined it in my mind.
  7. Ideally, the filmic depiction of Middle-Earth would have looked exactly like TV's Westeros, specifically the northern regions.
  8. You know a movie's hopeless when it later comes with patch notes!
  9. I know the choir is mixed in differently and we get to hear voices we didn't used to.
  10. It's quintessentially shit.
  11. I've only seen the bear fight. Or did I dream that? I have to had done, it can't be real.
  12. He's in Bonnie and Clyde. Steals it for a little while too, no mean feat. Also, The Woman in Red. The critics didn't like that directorial effort of his, but I must have watched it 5 times.
  13. So saddened by this, I loved this guy to bits! One of my very favourites of comedy. I'm going to watch Stir Crazy. RIP to a legendary comedy actor, a real icon of American cinema.
  14. Re: The "generational" argument. I'll clarify a little. I simply meant that at moment video games have come along some way in terms of their broadening appeal, but the medium is still very much on the fringes of what is considered to be 'mainstream' entertainment. In the eyes of older people gaming is essentially still seen as a hobby for geeks, so it stands to reason that their crafting is for now largely given short shrift, general disinterest and easy dismissal by the ignorant and the uninitiated. I suppose it's perfectly natural. However, the fact is the artistry which goes into the making of modern titles is nevertheless growing more and more sophisticated and worthwhile - inspiring an interest in the many working parts which make up a production, and that includes the music. Players begin to take notice of the underscore and an active appreciation is developed, CD soundtrack albums become available and are collected by fans. Like what happened with film music. But the ignorant and the uninitiated still happily remain indifferent and unimpressed. There is even a open snobbery of it. Like there is with film music. These people don't play games so they have never been 'caught up' in the powerful audiovisual experience which might have nurtured an ear for music they might never have otherwise been exposed to. I think this is, in part, generational. Why? Because just as movie music has been on the fringes of the mainstream for decades before becoming increasingly accepted by younger listeners (in this YouTube era, no less), there will come a time when the snooty elitists of yesteryear, with their offline 'closed' methods of consuming music, die out; and are replaced by those who have grown up accessing a very large spectrum of music from a much more diverse pool of different mediums than their parents and grandparents ever did. Listeners will simply have been exposed to much more different kinds of music, and they will accept it as the norm. They'll have an eclectic interest in lots of it in ways their analogue mothers and fathers never did. Tldr; in 10 - 20 years there'll be many more people gaming than there are now. Game music will be more readily enjoyed by listeners.