• Rank
    Stab me with socks in Chicago

Contact Methods

• Website URL
Profile Information

Southern California

Recent Profile Visitors

11276 profile views
  1. The fact that I rarely go watch movies these days doesn't help. I'm typically too poor and lazy to go watch what few new releases interest me - I mainly make exceptions for Star Wars movies and Pixar films. Then friends will play bits of new scores, and those snippets just reinforce my general feeling that film scoring has gone to shit. It's not that I'm incapable of enjoying music I've never heard - Rey's theme moved me to no end, especially on the first few listens. But a lot of the stuff I'm hearing these days relies on cheap, easy compositional tricks. There's no risk. The harmonies are predictable and the melodies never achieve that sacred tension between defying and satisfying the listener's expectations. And of course, no one wants music that draws attention to itself these days. Which can be fine for moviegoers...but I love a score that's so good it distracts me from the film.
  2. A friend just played the first track for me. Really not what I was hoping for. Predictably, my friend - more of a moviegoer than a film score aficionado - thought it was great. So the trends on display here seem to be working, just not for me. Personally, I miss the JNH of the 90s and early 2000s, although even then he's always been hit-and-miss for me. (With some phenomenal hits and some pretty sad misses.)
  3. QFT. It's easy to write pizzicato passages that sound clich├ęd and overly cutesy, but Williams' attempts are sublime. (I especially love those weird ones, like in "Flight From Peru.")
  4. He ain't the only one! So sorry to hear about your struggles, Justin. Mental health (or lack thereof) is a bitch.
  5. I'm excited! Probably going to buy this, mainly for the score, which has some fun faux-serious moments.
  6. I appreciated the show's blend of (relatively light) horror with 80s family movie tropes. Perhaps overhyped a bit, but it's a solidly enjoyable show. Like Jay, I came to really enjoy the main title music, but the score as a whole is nothing I'd ever listen to on its own.
  7. You lost me when you didn't tell me how many midichlorians Rey has.
  8. If you're gonna change the word order to maximize clarity, I'd put "badly" in front "imitating." Putting an adverb between a transitive verb and its object just sounds weird.
  9. That's a great way of putting it. Personally, I use Netflix all the time, but my listening habits are quite different from my viewing habits. With music, I care a lot more about avoiding compression artifacts, and I have a lot more interest in repeat listens than repeat viewings. I also think of the listening experience as somehow a lot more sacred, and using Spotify or the like somehow seems to cheapen it. No idea why I feel that way; nothing objectively wrong with the service for those who are interested. But I'm just not. I enjoy carefully curating my own private music collection.
  10. Definitely still buying and burning virtually all my music. I enjoy the physicality of the product, and more importantly, I strongly prefer to have lossless copies of my music. It's not that I can hear high-bitrate lossy compression - I can't, whatever my biased brain might tell me. I just love music editing, and I can hear lossy compression when it's applied to something that's already undergone lossy compression.
  11. The drunk music in E.T. made me laugh out loud the first time I heard it on album. I'm also a big fan of that cringeworthy penultimate chord in Aunt Marge's Waltz - so close to the traditional, expected ending...and yet so, soooooo far.
  12. TPM would be a fun one, but yeah, like you said, I haven't done one for any cues from that score. Maybe in the future! Regardless, I'm not sure what you're referring to, PS, but if anyone else does, I'd be very interested to see it, too!
  13. The Whip Scene More Whip Indie Gets the Whip Steven's Whip Collection
  14. I hear that for the first time in this franchise, Williams is going to write a whip theme for Indy 5!
  15. I prefer a2, but it's also correct as a 2. For the snare drum, you would only use x-shaped noteheads to indicate rimshots or stick clicks, things like that. Otherwise it's normal noteheads. Personally, I prefer them to be on a normal staff with the two-lined percussion clef, but sometimes you'll see it with a single-line staff too. Technically correct as well, but IMO it's somehow tougher to read. For that TPM source cue, if it helps, keep in mind that it's identical to another of the source tracks. It just has the recorders taken out. You can line up the audio and it matches.