• Announcements

• Andreas

(UPDATE 1) Server migration next weekend   11/26/16

Hi JWFAN.COM members,   Update: The migration need more time.   5-11. Dec. 2016.   The server is ready, a dedicated system:   Intel Xeon® E3-1225v3 Quad-Core 32 GB DDR3 RAM 2x 512 GB SSD   New os: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Plesk Onyx Management system
      Server backup 250 GB, not the same datacenter. External backup   Server location: DataDock in Strasbourg
      Fully redundant MPLS ring structure with a total capacity of 550 Gbit/s Core backbone Frankfurt-Strasbourg: 100 Gbit, Deutsche Telekom: 17x 10Gbit,
      Level(3): 10x 10Gbit, TeliaSonera: 8x 10Gbit, Cogent: 5x 10Gbit, Telefónica: 3x 10Gbit,
      DE-CIX: 6 x 10Gbit, ECIX: 6 x 10 Gbit Uptime 99.99%  (Network)     server migration next weekend.
      3 or 4. Dec. 2016.   I post a update when I start the migration.
      JWFAN.COM is offline for 3-4 hours.   Andreas  

karelm

Members
  • Content count

• Last visited

About karelm

• Rank
    Recovering Sith Lord

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

8304 profile views
  1. Why are they playing Dance of the tumblers? This is a wonderful demo CD of why the London Phil is inferior to the LSO. I would also add that this sounds very little like the LPO. Something is definitely amiss. I would say this is an advanced high school orchestra and most certainly not the LPO.
  2. This is an important milestone in musical history. Stravinsky's early work "Chant Funibre" written after the death of his mentor, Rimsky-Korsakov, was long thought lost. Stravinsky said this of the lost work: "The best of my works before The Firebird". It was rediscovered in 2015 and here is the first performance of this work in over 100 years. It starts at roughly 45 minutes in to the broadcast. http://www.medici.tv/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=201612&utm_content=live20161202&utm_term=stravinsky#!/valery-gergiev-stravinsky-chant-funebre This is to me the equivalent of Rachmaninoff's early works like "The Rock" (no affiliation with Dwayne Johnson) and "Prince Rostislav". Those are very substantial early works retaining the fingerprints of Rachmaninoff and an important part of documenting an artists development. Stravinsky's originality is already recognizable.
  3. The man is going to be 85 years old in two months. Hasn't he earned the right to sleep in his own bed after a long day of work? By that of course I mean they should ship his bed to London while he records with the LSO.
  4. Desplat, a fine composer in his own right, has very simple sketches with the details left up to the orchestrator during discussions. Desplat knows what he wants but there aren't details in the sketches. I took a masterclass with Pope and he showed one of the cues he orchestrated from Benjamin Button and the before and after were quite different. A melody with some idea of the instrumentation was present but there was no texture or information about the rhythmic accompaniment. In JW, there is practically no difference between the sketch and the orchestration (or at least minimal changes if there is a minor error like a 5/4 bar has 4 beats but this is rare).
  5. What a great set! I was thinking the "Dennis Steals the Embryo" might be JW's most unexpected style I have heard from him. Very inventive. I absolutely love the chord at 2:49 of "The Falling Car and The T-Rex Chase". JW's harmonic mastery is on full display in this set. I am also very surprised by the overall darkness of the score. So glad to have this in full fidelity and expanded. I haven't yet heard The Lost World. I remember in 1993 when this film came out thinking Spielberg was way too far into the cutesy stuff since we had Always, Hook, and other cheerful films. I was expecting a bore fest and it totally shocked me with how intense it was. It was like what Jaws felt like back in the 1970's. Hearing this music in full presentation reminded me of what it was like back in 1993 to experience this for the first time. Wonderful film and music! "Remembering Petticoat Lane" reminds me of later works such as A.I. This seems to be a transitional work in JW's work list. We get tastes of French/English impressionism that will be more prominent in later scores. Brilliant score!
  6. https://www.yahoo.com/movies/rocky-turns-40-talia-shire-on-her-screen-partnership-with-sylvester-stallone-and-creating-adrian-171233105.html I remember Rocky in the theaters. I remember my feelings were that this was a terribly boring movie for a kid. But I also remember the emotional impact of the ending and the characters being so deep and interesting. Though the series might have devolved into cliche, if you watch the original with virgin eyes, it is truly a masterpiece of story telling, character development, and effective scoring! The music was so exciting and befitting the story plus the fact that Rocky did not win in the end but did transform into his true character in falling love with Adrien was so fantastic! This is truly a very good film. Happy 40th! If any of you have a feeling of nostalgia, watch this film with 1970's eyes. It is truly great. Seriously, when was the last time you saw a film where the hero loses the match but wins the love of his life? That is very deep and substantial film making with a great ending! It deserves it's spot as one of the best films of the 70's!
  7. For reasons I can't fully explain, I find Vaughan Williams Norfolk Rhapsody so freaking gorgeous:
  8. Zimmer drives me nuts, but his impact is substantial and worthy of hearing how he approaches his craft and especially the business side, working with directors, presenting his ideas, etc. That alone makes this a valuable resource. Would be nice to get something like this from John Williams. I would pay $1000 for that! But the bottom line, there is alot to learn from Zimmer.
  9. First of all, we need to agree on what the definition of "iconic" even is. Relax, I read the thread, I just wanted to push your buttons. This is a question that has been asked for ages. Brahms was asked about what his impact will be after his death and his thoughts are worth reading. Here I quote him: "I will not find my true place in musical history until at least half a century after I am gone. Bach died in 1750 and he was completely forgotten until Mendelssohn revived him, more than 75 years later. And it was more than a hundred years after his death that Joachim succeeded in popularizing his monumental works for solo violin [Chaccone]. Also, the stupendous Beethoven violin concerto was neglected for fully fifty years after his death until Joachim revealed its wonders to the musical world." Brahms was asked to list prominent composers of his day and he recites a list of names that are forgotten to time. He disliked the then popular composer Anton Rubinstein finding his music lazy but people in that time would have predicted Rubinstein to outlast Brahms. Brahms also mentions a promising youth, Richard Strauss, who he predicted shows promise and was worth watching. Side note: early in Strauss's career, he was very traditional and a stylistic disciple of Brahms and the Strauss we know today happened after Brahms. Here are the Billboard top 10 songs from 1950. How many do you recognize? January 7, 1950 Gene Autry "Rudolph, The Red-nosed Reindeer" N/A 1 January 14, 1950 The Andrews Sisters "I Can Dream, Can't I" N/A 4 February 11, 1950 Ames Brothers "Rag Mop" N/A 1 February 18, 1950 Red Foley "Chattanoogie Shoe Shine Boy" N/A 4 March 18, 1950 Teresa Brewer "Music! Music! Music!" N/A 4 April 15, 1950 Eileen Barton "If I Knew You Were Comin' I'd've Baked a Cake" N/A 2 April 29, 1950 Anton Karas "The Third Man Theme" N/A 11 July 15, 1950 Nat King Cole "Mona Lisa (Nat King Cole song)" N/A 5 August 19, 1950 Gordon Jenkins and The Weavers "Goodnight Irene"♪ (1950) N/A 13 November 18, 1950 Sammy Kaye "Harbor Lights" N/A 2 December 2, 1950 Phil Harris "The Thing" N/A 4 December 30, 1950 Patti Page "The Tennessee Waltz" N/A 9 I will assume maybe 70 to 80% of the best songs of 1950 have been forgotten. Meanwhile, we do see some promising songs by Elvis, Rosemary Clooney, Perry Como, Everly Brothers, etc., during this same period and who did withstand the test of time. Sometimes great impact is recognized immediately but other times it takes a slow burn waiting for someone else like The Beatles to parlay their influence and explain their origins as being based on their predecessors. Basically, the same is true in all mediums including film, concert music, film music, architecture, literature, TV (Star Trek) etc. It is also amusing when history got it really wrong. “We find Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony to be precisely one hour and five minutes long; a frightful period indeed, which puts the muscles and lungs of the band, and the patience of the audience to a severe trial…” –The Harmonicon, London, April 1825 The point is what is ultimately considered iconic (or lets say stands the test of time) requires some passage of time to be evaluated within fuller context and cultural impact plus a stylistic impact to subsequent body of art. I think the least important consideration is how the work was originally received. Many things are thought that they will be highly regarded but are forgotten.
  10. JW grew up with this sort of stuff: His friends included Previn and Rozsa who were both very personable and exceptionally skilled. I think some of what Rozsa was doing in these suites is what we hear with the concert arrangements of JW's scores. These were people who first and foremost considered themselves as Composers and as film composers secondly.
  11. I also find it innovative in his orchestration the way he uses an agitato string quartet against the strings and then for the final moments has three sets of roto-toms where two are in the audience to provide an apocalyptic cataclysm. At the premiere it was very effective. It reminded me of his teacher JC who had a marching band and 12 trumpets enclosing the audience in Circus Maximus...which of course borrows from Brant, Ives, Mahler, and others who play with the stage/audience relationship.
  12. If you thought that was beautiful, you might enjoy this tender nocturne too. It's a little bit too soft so make sure to turn the volume up:
  13. How about Greensleeves?
  14. Sorry, I can't find the whole thing on youtube...