karelm last won the day on October 9 2016

karelm had the most liked content!

About karelm

• Rank
    Futuristic dinosaur

Profile Information

Recent Profile Visitors

8805 profile views
  1. Yeah, not a great fan of the orchestration I posted. It isn't Stokowsky's as I originally thought. Will have to check out Respighis.
  2. So much to gleam from this. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04s85d9 What other stories are waiting to be heard?
  3. Good call out. I was thinking that was more religioso but it definitely falls under the metaphorical sunrise category. How about this one? I forgot this obvious and evocative one (Dawn on the Moscow River): The end of Darkness/Dawn from Goldsmith's Legend One could argue Night on Bald Mountain ends with the ghouls hiding from the dawn so qualifies but probably strays too far from the spirit of this thread. How about JS Bach's Sleepers Awake? This work has very personal memories for me. I vividly recall listening to it in the middle of the Sahara desert in a very dark and isolated night as a kid with my Sony Walkman. I thought the start and poetic reading at the end were so perfectly representative of those other worldly visuals. This music is forever linked to one of my very favorite memories of my youth.
  4. Link please? Don't remember this scene or track name.
  5. Oh yeah, forgot the William Tell! Good call: I forgot the opening of Ralph Vaughan Williams' London Symphony Though an absolutely gorgeous musical moment, I would consider it maybe more of a "Rites of Passage" sequence than a sunrise sequence. A good candidate of anther poll. Rites of passage are milestones or life events that mark important transitional periods in a person's life, such as birth, leaving home to find their true self, marriage, having their children, death. I forgot this glorious sunrise from Goldenthal's Titus:
  6. J. Williams: Close Encounters "Let There Be Light" R. Strauss: Also Sprach Zarathustra "Sunrise" R. Strauss: Alpensinfonie "Night" F. Grofe: Grand Canyon Suite "Sunrise" E. Grieg: Peer Gynt "Morning Mood" M. Ravel: Daphis et Chloe R. Wagner: Das Rheingold
  7. I attended the 2015 extended premiere at the Hollywood Egyptian Theater with lots of the originals in attendance and bumped into Tim Mattheson and Nancy Allen (who looked great by the way), writers Bob Zemeckis and Bob Gale and a few others - it was a wonderful experience and the film was so much fun to see in a crowded modern theater. I took some photos and can dig them up.
  8. People get their hearts rebooted all the time. It's a quadruple bypass, pacemaker, heart transplant, etc.
  9. It could possibly be the last time JW works with Spielberg too. So maybe a big send off to the series and a lifelong friendship/partnership.
  10. They could make it like True Grit...a washed up, angry Indy who is a poor reflection of his younger self is hired by some kid with a vendetta to steal back a prize Belloq stole from him/her. The movie ends with Indy falling off his horse chasing it as the horse runs off into the sunset for another day of adventures to come. Bad ass Indy Washed up Indy
  11. I am all for it but the last one was so phoned in. Hopefully they learn from the past and end the series with a bang.
  12. Any other fans of Chris Rouse here? I just heard the west coast premiere of his Organ Concerto and thought it was excellent with a superb performance by LA Phil and Paul Jacobs on the formidable Disney Hall organ. His music tends to be freaking loud but as a bass trombonist, I don't mind that. There was a very long standing ovation and an unbelievably fantastic JS Bach organ fugue as encore. Unfortunately, no link exists to the organ concerto but take this excellent trombone concerto as a reference. This resulted in Rouse winning the Pulitzer Prize in 1993. The concert review if interested: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-phil-robertson-review-20170421-story.html
  13. It's really not a big deal. Temp tracks rarely mean "copy this". It is just a communication tool to help verbalize a director's intentions and it is usually just a starting point for the discussion not the end of it. Frequently, a director will refer to the temp saying something like "the rhythm works for me but the mood is all wrong" and that is useful to the composer to hear. Remember, Jaws was temped with Images and Johnny said something to the effect of "oh no, baby, you need adventure music not horror music".
  14. What about the JW boom tiss? What is the classical precedent for it? Like this one and a million of his other scores:
  15. There are soft trombones in there too. That soft resonate choral sound. Sort of like this except JW is going for a different emotion...more reverential: