• Rank
    Recovering Sith Lord

Profile Information

• Gender Male
  • Location LA

Recent Profile Visitors

7693 profile views
  1. General Harmony/Orchestration/Theory Questions

Yes, absolutely. How would you spell it? Because though I hear it as a polychord too, I can also see it as harmonic extensions and technically, my spelling would be E# (a sharp 9).
  2. The Quick Question Thread

Cool thanks. I found a green pickup service that will wipe the drive and green recycle itfor $35 or free if I drop it off. Thank you.
  3. The Quick Question Thread

One of my computers is worthless (going for $25 on eBay) so not even worth selling since the shipping would cost about $75. What should I do with a worthless computer? Just throw it in the dumpster? Are there recycling places or give it to Good Will? Schools don't want it...it's too old.
  4. General Harmony/Orchestration/Theory Questions

Why not D7(+9#5). That is D, F#, A#, C, F.
  5. STAR WARS general thread

This looks like it might be interesting...a documentary about the extras from Star Wars IV called Elstree 1976.
  6. STAR WARS general thread

I still think she's HanSolo'skid. He doesn't recognize her because he shacked up with a one time fling. We already have precedents for this since he didn't recognize Shia LaBeouf as his sonbecause of a one off fling either.
  7. In honor of one of my favorite composer's birthday today (April 23, 1891), I present the clumsily titled "Cantata for the 20th Anniversary of the October Revolution". Happy 125th birthday, Sergei!
  8. The OFFICIAL Astronomy Thread

Doubtful. Plus the cloud doesn't explain how at the KT boundary layer there would be a worldwide deposit of quartz granules and glass spheres while also having the rare iridium. It might be that the cloud did happen but the evidence is very strong for a massive meteor impact at that time.
  9. Some of you might be interested to know that Jim Self has written an orchestral work called "Tour de Force" which is available here: http://instantencore.com/music/details.aspx?PId=5124095 Jim is an extraordinary tuba player and frequent John Williams performer having performed on some classic scores like Close Encounters (he was the mothership), E.T., War of the Worlds, Star Wars The Force Awakens, and a thousand other scores. He is also an extraordinarily kind person whom I've had the great honor of playing bass trombone next to and got to hear his recollections at first seeing the tuba solo part for CEOTTK. From his bio: His solos in major films include John William's scores to Jurassic Park, Home Alone and Home Alone 2: Lost in New York, Hook, and was the "Voice of the Mothership" from Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Other solos can be heard in James Horner's Casper and Batteries Not Included, Marc Shaiman's Sleepless in Seattle and in Jerry Goldsmith's score to Dennis the Menace. Later films include Wall-E, Troy, Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, The Legend of Zorro, War of the Worlds, King Kong, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, The Princess and the Frog, Valentines Day, Avatar, Tintin, Toy Story 3, and recently Bridges of Spies and Star Wars 7, The Force Awakens.
  10. I would like to recommend Henri Dutilleux. In particular there is a CD that I can't find on Spotify nor youtube to linkbut this is the CD: http://www.bis.se/index.php?op=album&aID=BIS-1651 It is his early music but they are all of consistently high quality, evocative, and very finely written. I loved this CD so much I listened to it twice in a row. The music is a wonderful amalgamation of 20th century french music. You get the impressionists and the Messiaen style ondes martinon, post Ravel, plus those influenced by Wagner as well (Cesar Frank, D'Indy, etc). I loved this CD and DEFINITELY must explore this composer further.
  11. Charming interview: https://vimeo.com/146437724 RIP, Admiral.
  12. I thought this was a lovely nocturnal piece. Somewhere between Scriabin and Debussy. Benjamin Britten doesn't get enough love here. Peter Grimes is one of the greatest operas of the 20th century and I highly recommend those of you who enjoy opera to listen to the work in its entirety. It is dramatic and oozes with evocative atmosphere and originality. I prefer the composers recording (he was an excellent conductor):
  13. That's a great opera and Wagner's masterpiece. Seeing it live, the ending packs quite a punch.
  14. Is the date of this release April 1 by any chance?