About dfenton85

• Rank
    Regular Poster

Contact Methods

• Website URL
    http://

Recent Profile Visitors

3794 profile views
  1. Does Jaylah have any thematic material at all? If so, it has gone right over my head after seeing the movie and multiple album listens.
  2. Does the brassy theme in Crash Decisions (which also appears towards the end of A Lesson In Vulcan Mineralogy on flutes) represent something or is it just a minor action motif. Anyway, it is absolutely great and Crash Decisions is definitely one of the best cues of the year.
  3. I had a feeling that was it. It's a gorgeous theme.
  4. I love how he incorporates the various elements of the main theme in the action music. It sounds great! Still getting to grips with the different themes - what is the 5 years mission theme?
  5. THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

I assume the superior quality of TFA movie is a big cause of that including the character of Rey.
  6. THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Great, thanks. I was worried there was some microediting at the end of that The Witching Hour track.
  7. THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Does anyone know if the sudden end of The Witching Hour track leads directly into more music in the film?
  8. THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Jonathan Broxton has his review up: https://moviemusicuk.us/2016/07/06/the-bfg-john-williams/
  9. THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Tintin, War Horse and Lincoln are all above average JW scores spanning different genres. Lincoln is an incredibly heartfelt and touching score. Parts of KOTCS may be by-the-numbers but it suffers from a remarkably poor album presentation and the actual highlights (including the complete jungle chase) contains some of the best music he has written this millennium. There is no denying that his compositional style has changed throughout the years but that doesn't mean his writing is of poorer quality. Having had 7+ months to digest TFA, I'd place it above AOTC and ROTS. It is a 5 star score through and through - he scored the biggest movie of 2015 with the year's best score so I strongly disagree with the idea that he should focus only on more intimate films. JW is not just a composer but an expert musical story teller regardless of the genre or scope of the movie. As for BFG, the compositional skill on display is extraordinary. It may be an average entry in his career, but an average JW score is still one of the year's best. I haven't seen the movie, but by all accounts, it is a light and fluffy movie and therefore the score is equally light and fluffy. If the movie doesn't have ET or War Horse levels of emotional weight, the score can't be expected to have that too. It is a great listening experience on album and I enjoy it a lot.
  10. THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Rey's Theme >>>> Sophie's Theme
  11. THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

I just finished my first listen and I think that is a fair assessment. For me, Sophie's theme is his least engaging primary theme of his semi-retirement period but it is still nice and warm with some lovely performances especially that piano rendition in Finale. What I love about the score though is the great soundscape and orchestration - really great orchestration actually especially the woodwinds. The woodwinds really get a great workout. The evil giants motif is a great children's movie bad guy theme too - full of maliciousness without being too overbearing for the genre. I'd rate it 4/5 in terms of overall musical listening experience and the compositional skill on display. In terms of Williams' career, it'll be an average entry and below Tintin, War Horse, Lincoln and TFA from this later period.
  12. THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

The album is now on Spotify in Ireland which usually means it's available in UK too.
  13. THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

I haven't listened to it yet because I've a horrible cold and I don't want that to taint my first listening experience. I'm very wary of my initial reaction to this score given my lukewarm first listen to TFA which is now a classic.
  14. THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

I had the same fear leading up to TFA but thankfully the OST was pretty great and the rapid release of the FYC helped also (still would love the Falcon crash landing cue though). For The BFG, there is obviously going to be a lot of unreleased cues but I'm hoping there won't be any massive holy grails and the unreleased stuff will be relatively uninteresting underscore. As long as there aren't major renditions of the thematic material or some kick-ass action music omitted, I think I'll be satisfied. We'll find out soon.... I just noticed that The BFG opens this week in the US but doesn't open for another three weeks in UK. I'll be keeping an eye here for you guys' reports on missing music.
  15. THE BFG OST ALBUM Discussion

Interesting that there is no "Sophie's Theme" or "The BFG Theme" tracks. I presume the "Overture" and "Sophie and the BFG" will contain nice presentations of their thematic material. Actually, another possibility is that they don't have separate themes, and instead have a single "friendship" theme associated with both characters, and the last track is the concert arrangement of that theme.