1 Follower

About Damien F

Contact Methods

• Website URL
    http://

Recent Profile Visitors

4241 profile views
  1. ...and Ennio Morricone
  2. I love Getting out of The Vote concert version, especially when the string section runs with the main melody punctuated by brass. Such a fun and energetic piece. Given that he performed it at the 2013 Pops film night, I would have predicted that it would be included on this album, sadly not the case. As a decent alternative, at least the broadcast of that 2013 concert contains that piece with no obnoxious audience noise. As for a proper version of Tintin's theme, this release was probably our best chance of getting one, so sadly it may never happen now. I'm a big fan of that theme Agreed! That performance is particularly ferocious and energetic. A JW conducted version would of course be a nice treat though.
  3. I started listening to scores in 1997 so I always had the internet. Filmtracks.com was my primary resource back then. It had (and still has) filmographies of most composers. I remember a time when rounded corners was considered cutting edge web design!
  4. Certainly worked with JP / TLW. Biggest surprise of the year.
  5. Well no, but that's essentially my question - why not? I presume the producer signs an non-disclosure agreement as part of their contract.
  6. Is there some contractual or legal reason why he can't divulge now what he's working on?
  7. A Mike M. produced collection of the Star Wars PT is the holiest of holy grails. If Disney is planning to release the complete scores, let's hope his recent collaborations with JW will put him in serious consideration for this project. Exciting times ahead... As for Sony...
  8. I'm currently rewatching The Next Generation and this particular quote from Picard from a recent episode I watched seems very appropriate:
  9. Future renditions of Leia's theme in the ep8 and ep9 scores will be quite poignant now.
  10. Listening to his interviews, I get the impression that he doesn't really consider it work. He simply loves composing music. I mean, when he isn't writing a score, what does he do for fun - he composes music! Also, it is a measure of his talent that Spielberg, who is very musically aware, has stayed with JW ever since their first score together. My second favorite composer is Goldsmith who is also an absolute legend. However, I can't really quantify exactly why JW is my favorite over Goldsmith. Goldsmith's body of work is exceptional and I can't fault him but JW just has that special undefinable quality that makes him so unique. I've travelled from Europe to US four times to see him in concert and don't think I would have done so for Goldsmith or anyone else.
  11. It is an incredible feat for a film composer to write an iconic theme - one that breaks through into pop culture. I'm sure most film composers would be delighted writing just one of these themes. But his golden era of 1975 - 1984, JW was producing iconic themes left, right and center; all the while writing some of the most amazing music ever composed for orchestra. In 2001, he introduced a whole new generation to his talents with Harry Potter and wrote 2015's best score. Even if you ignore that golden era, his work before and since then has been amazing. JW is basically the perfect combination of musical talent and passion for his work.
  12. I'm looking at 2016's scores for my top 10 list, and I think BFG may be my favourite score, which is a little surprising. It's between that and Fantastic Beasts, but I think BFG's album is an all round better listening experience. There have been no 5 star scores in 2016 for me but some strong 4 stars. The BFG may be firmly within JW's comfort zone but it is still great music. Can't think of any other score in 2016 that is both as technically and emotionally proficient as this.
  13. dfenton85 -> Damien F
  14. Still looks fake!
  15. John Williams will be the next Michael Giacchino!