• The Patriot
    • AI
    • Harry Potter
    • Attack of the Clones

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's funny is that although I enjoyed both Harry Potter the movie and score, neither were "all that" to me. And I'll never read the books and I simply do not understand all the fuss. They were cute, but did nothing for me. In fact, I think the maniacal obsession over all things Potter is quite baffling to me.

The odd thing about the Potter CD is that when I first got it, I really liked it. Then, over time, it fell out of favor with me. To me, it's got 2-3 good cues and then goes on the proverbial "auto-pilot". That's me though... I know many disagree, which is good.

I loved AOTC and A.I. from the first moment that I heard the CDs and even more after I saw the films. And they grow on me more and more per listen.

I didn't initially care for the CD to The Patriot at all. It bored me to no end and considered it a rare "dud" in the Williams canon, until I saw the film. Then, the music clicked. The Patriot score is perfectly fitting for the film. I liked the movie... but was a little disappointed. It's like Braveheart-lite in colonial America... good but not great.

So, I really can't decide about AOTC and AI and I still haven't voted yet. I really am torn between the beauty of AI and the darkness and action of AOTC. I really am torn 50/50. I've heard the whole score to AI and loved what I heard. And based after OST CDs alone, I like AOTC more. And the fact that we still haven't heard the unreleased/unused music from AOTC will determine the tie-breaker for me. Right now, they are tied, but they may not be that way for long... depending on if we ever get a complete score... (sigh...) :cry:

But I like both AOTC and AI more, MUCH more than Potter or Patriot. Not that I hate those scores... but find then far behind.

Doesn't this show Williams' genius? The fact that one person may not care for (or even strongly dislike) one score while his buddy loves it, and vice versa on the next?

To me, I like it when somebody else loves a score that I don't care for. To me, it shows his chameleon-like talents may be more diverse than our personal tastes!!! :)

And, to add another 2 cents... Monica's Theme and The Blue Fairy Theme are BOTH beautiful to me. And the "Woods" theme too. Hell... I could go on and on about that score. I even like the slow underscore that covers the family moments of the 1st act... parts that I usually don't care that much for.

To me, "Monica's Theme" AND "the "Blue Fairy" themes are right up there with to the "E.T. and Me" theme, "Trio-The Meeting" from Jane Eyre, and "The Face Of Pan" from Hook as the most beautiful, moving, and tender themes in Williams career.

Williams most thrilling theme is Yoda's theme in fanfare mode.

Justify, rationalize all you want, but it makes absolutely no sense Empire.

Williams most thrilling theme is Yoda's theme in fanfare mode.

Justify, rationalize all you want, but it makes absolutely no sense Empire.

Yes it does. Luke is using the skills that Yoda passed on to him (I guess).

-Chris, Rationalizing... 8O

Ohh, well if Hlao-roo didn't forget the 'in' maybe his comment would make sense. It does make sense in empire, Yoda's prediction is coming true and he's using what yoda taught him.