1. 1.

• Midway
    • Pops on the March
    • Olympic Spirit

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 1941 March is one of the most upbeat and fun compositions Williams has ever done. it gets my vote.

Midway is good, but it is no 1941.

By way of anecdote, I made some cassettes for my stepfather while I was in college, with a lot of my favorite music, as kind of a crash course in the classics. Well, one tape I reserved for miscellaneous, fun stuff. Anyway, he wound up playing the tapes for his brother-in law-in the car while they were driving back from somewhere, and suddenly the brother-in-law wanted copies for himself.

The originals contained the march from Midway, but in the meantime I had tracked down the LP of 1941. So on the new tape, I deleted the old march and replaced it with the new. I explained the change to my stepfather, telling him it was simply better, and he shrugged it off, saying it was all right, he really liked the old one.

Then I played it for him. Right at the Sousa-like climax of the piece, when the trio yields to the precipitous tutti free-for-all (punctuated with cannon-fire), his eyes grew wide. I could tell he was having one of those spinetingling Williams moments.

"You're right," my stepfather said. "It is better."

Those of you who know this piece only from the Pops re-recordings have not lived. You need the original soundtrack.

Figo, like Johhny Appleseed, sowing a deep-rooted love for 1941 in all he meets.

Those of you who know this piece only from the Pops re-recordings have not lived.  You need the original soundtrack.

I need it!!!!!! That's true.

Interesting story, Figo. It's like a soap opera (stepfather, brother in law....), :) .....but it's OK.

I agree: 1941 March is better.

scissorhands - who needs the original 1941 soundtrack!!!!

I kind of wish Williams would have written a full Nazi March for the Last Crusade ala the Imperial March. :wow: It's a pretty good bad guy theme.

I kind of wish Williams would have written a full Nazi March for the Last Crusade ala the Imperial March.  :wow:  It's a pretty good bad guy theme.

:)

scissorhands - who thinks Last Crusade Nazi March will reappear in Indiana Jones 4

I guess I'm alone so far, but I love Pops on the March...

We are on opposite on this,I dislike this one for some reason,it lacks direction.

K.m.

The Raiders and Imperial marches are classic, but where is the Superman march? Surely, it too is one of the greats??

I considered Celebrate Discovery!, but it sounds to me more like a fanfare.

Hmm....I think it's more "marchable" than the Raider's March.

Mmmmm, you´re sort of right, what the hell do I know, but, mmm... well, I love Celebrate Discovery! very much, though the recording in "American Journey" isn´t that good, I think Discovery goes in a different list as Superman, Raiders and Imperial do.

For me it's The March for the Men of the Yorktown from Midway -- not the version which ends the film nor the one found on the Varese re-recording, but a rare one which was originally done as a promo single back in 1976 and which has turned up on certain collections.

Miguel was able to forward me this recording and I just love it. It's like a prototype for Luke's Theme and The Throne Room theme from SW. You have absolutely gotta hear it!

Thanks again Miguel!

SUPERMAN

IMPERIAL MARCH

EWOK MARCH

PARADE OF THE SLAVE CHILDREN

LEX LUTHOR'S MARCH

WE ARE LOOKING GOOD

MAIN TITLE FROM MIDWAY

RAIDERS MARCH

HOOK'S MARCH