The OFFICIAL Indy IV Thread

I will say that my expectations for this film aren't that high either, but I have some hope for it.

I certainly like the idea of Indy returning after 18 years much more than Rocky returning after 21 years, or Rambo after 19 years.

And keep in mind the return of good ol' John McClane after 17 years!

It's been 12 years since Die Hard with a Vengeance, and there was a 16-year gap between Rocky V and last year's Rocky Balboa.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would ruin the timeline set by the Indiana Jones TV show where a 90+ year old one eyed Indy appeared to start each episode.

Of course given the timeline errors in Star Wars It wouldn't suprise me.

Rocky Balboa is getting good reviews,so it's possible to pull off the "older action character" bit.

I just hope Williams lives long enough now.

K.M.

Rocky Balboa was fantastic, but you have to pay attention to key differences. Both Sly Stallone and Bruce Willis are in excellent shape. Sure, they look a little older, but they're still essentially as strong as they used to be. It's easy, therefore, to believe in say Rocky Balboa or a new Rambo or Die Hard movie, because they can actually perform to the same level as they could earlier. Ford on the other hand was never super-built, and I'm sure he hasn't taken all that much care of himself. He may be in good healthy condition, but he's slowed down over the years and a new Indy movie might be a hard sell. Not an impossible sell, though. It could be like Rocky Balboa, people make fun of the idea leading up to release, and then afterwards, we're all surprised with how good it is.

I'm (it seems) one of the few who doesn't find issue with Ford's age when it comes to this part. For someone who is 60+, he looks pretty damn well. Good living etc. Mark my words, when he is revealed for the first time (probably on the internet) suited up in the full Indy attire, Harrison will look the part. And people will wonder why the ever questioned him in the first place. The 5 o'clock shadow, the worn leather jacket, the dusty chinos, the greasy shirt and that travelled hat will all look as strangely comfortable as they ever did. You will see.

Do you seriously think The Trio haven't considered this?

I never thought of Rocky as an action hero. He was a normal man who managed to achieve fame by working hard.

What really concerns me is that Spielberg doesn't make popcorn flicks anymore. Since 1993's Jurassic Park he has only had 3 films gross over $200 million; The Lost World, Saving Private Ryan and War Of The Worlds. WOTW is his highest grossing film out of those three with $234 million. Compared with his pre JP films he has taken on a much more serious approach in his films and frankly I don't think he has it in him to make a fun flick.

Williams' approach is different as well, I don't know if he has it in him or even wants to write in his old style. And then there's Lucas, given the fact that he passed on so many scripts and finally settled on one by David Koepp doesn't sit well with me.

And finally while Ford is old his box office draw isn't what it once was. Since 1997's AFO he's only had one film gross $100 million and that was What Lies Beneath.

I feel this film is being made for the wrong reasons, to try and re-live past glory. If they really wanted to do another they would have done it years ago.

Seriously, I hope I'm wrong. If they can avoid the problems of TLC and focus on what made Raiders and Temple of Doom great then maybe there's hope.

It's been 12 years since Die Hard with a Vengeance, and there was a 16-year gap between Rocky V and last year's Rocky Balboa.

Damn, I don't know how the hell I came up with those wrong numbers. :oops:

Indy might die at the end of this one.

That would suck, but it's also possible, since Indy has never been an immortal super-hero. :(

I'll cry if he dies, and I don't like to cry for just movies!

Johnny music for an eventual death will be incredibly touching, and a big contributor to the cry thing.

I just hope Williams lives long enough now.

That's very true, it's my biggest fear.

I can't even imagine a Indy movie without Williams' music.

And keep in mind that Spielberg's likes very much Z...Zim...ah, I can't...it's to painful... :fouetaa:

"Music composed by Hans Zimmer. Original Themes by John Williams"

:folder::fouetaa:

We all know that there are at least 15 composers better that Zimmer and more suitable for that kind of score, but we also know that Spielberg likes Zimmer a lot.

Which is pretty disturbing, since he likes both the best composer ever, and one of the most mediocre.

This is great news! I'm not really concerned about the age thing. I wonder, though, will they make him look like he did in the "Mystery of the Blues" bookends? That was set in 1950 if I recall correctly. Interesting to think about.

Spielberg has been doing more serious movies, but I think he's been waiting to do a fun one again. Didn't he say that Indy would be the "pay-off" after doing all the serious ones?

As for Williams, I have thought about that. However, TPM is pretty reassuring. Plus, we know Spielberg is going to do film, not digital (thank God), and I'm sure he'll carry that mode of doing things a bit old-school into his discussions with Williams and ask him to do some of the old style.

I can see why these are concerns for people--I've thought of these things myself--but I'm not too worried about it. I'm just going to wait and see.

It's going to be weird having 3 movies in the same time frame and then one many years later. I guess it all depends on how they tackle an old Indiana Jones. I'm not very interested on it and I would prefer if they did a movie about a younger Indy and simply recast the role, afterall it has work for James Bond, I imagine a lot of people would be upset if they did a movie without Ford though.

I hope they will use the ark theme at the beginning of the trailers. Cool would be ark trek with that little bit of the indy theme coming up before the tension is rising - cut to the raiders march. Could be neat.

I guess it all depends on how they tackle an old Indiana Jones. I'm not very interested on it and I would prefer if they did a movie about a younger Indy and simply recast the role, afterall it has work for James Bond, I imagine a lot of people would be upset if they did a movie without Ford though.

Ford said repeatedly that he won't let it happen that anyone other than him will play indy.

I would prefer if they did a movie about a younger Indy and simply recast the role

It already exist, The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, altough I never watched them as I consider them a whole different thing, that has nothing to do with the real Spielberg/Lucas/Ford/Williams Indiana Jones.

Doing a movie like that would be lame and pointless, and I also think that nobody cares about a young Indy movie.

Ford said repeatedly that he won't let it happen that anyone other than him will play indy.

He's right. He's the only Indiana Jones and if he didn't want to make a new Indy movie, a new Indy movie just shouldn't have made.

Kinda like Home Alone 3 and 4...they're lame 'cause they didn't feature the original cast, it's just two totally different movies wanting to have success using the title of two previsious successfull movies. Not surprisingly they failed...

And about having a different actor playing Indy...who the hell would want Tom Selleck!? :fouetaa:

I know about The Young Indy series, I watched an episode once (the one that came with the trilogy on vhs a few years ago), I found it pretty boring. What I meant was a younger Indy like the one in Raiders, Temple and Crusade as opossed to the one they're making now. They waited so long to make this film that they have to adress the issue of his age in the script and a movie about Indy dealing with his old age doesn't sound too exciting to me, it still could be good but I don't see the point of making this movie. I think the score will be great though, perhaps his last masterpiece in the more bombastic style.

Ah, I also have one episode of the young Indy on the VHS box-set, but never watched it. I think it's natural that this movie shows an older Indy (as much as Rocky Balboa shows an older Rocky, Live Free or Die Hard will show an older John McClane and Rambo IV will show an older Rambo), and it could be interesting, as we might get the chance of seeing him in some different aspect than before. The same adventurer, but also a more mature and more reflective man, who knows...I just hope Sean Connery will be in the movie, as well the rumored cameos of both Indy girls Marion and Willie.

I probably gonna be miss the Nazis, but ToD was good without Nazis as well. This is rumored to have the Russians as enemies, after World War II, like in Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, which is good anyways.

I just hope Sean Connery will be in the movie, as well the rumored cameos of both Indy girls Marion and Willie.

Indiana Jones and the Revenge of the Signoras? :fouetaa:

Maybe they could sneak Alison Doody in there too as a zombie. She won't even need any make-up for that part.

I just hope Sean Connery will be in the movie, as well the rumored cameos of both Indy girls Marion and Willie.

Indiana Jones and the Revenge of the Signoras? :P

Maybe they could sneak Alison Doody in there too as a zombie. She won't even need any make-up for that part.

She still looks stunning on the DVD special features. She also married some millionaire.

Yep, both Alison and Kate still looks great (Alison isn't old, by the way, as she was 37 years old in the DVDs).

Only Karen didn't looked as good as I expected, but she's not bad either.

Here are a few simple reasons why I have high hopes for Indy 4 (and why I don't think it will turn out like the Star Wars prequels).

1. Steven Spielberg, not George Lucas, is directing it.

2. David Koepp, not George Lucas, is writing it.

3. John Williams will still be scoring it.

4. ILM will still be doing the effects.

5. Harrison Ford, possibly alongside Sean Connery and John Rhys-Davies, will be reprising the role he was born to play. As long as he captures the character again, age shouldn't be an issue.

I'll make no assumptions as to the quality of Koepp's screenplay except that it will be better than Lucas' work. I honestly don't believe that anyone can rival that man when it comes to insufferable writing. If it's halfway decent and original, the rest of the team should have no trouble making an enjoyable movie out of it. All in all, I think we've got a good film coming our way.

Here are a few simple reasons why I have high hopes for Indy 4 (and why I don't think it will turn out like the Star Wars prequels).

1. Steven Spielberg, not George Lucas, is directing it.

2. David Koepp, not George Lucas, is writing it.

3. John Williams will still be scoring it.

5. Harrison Ford, possibly alongside Sean Connery and John Rhys-Davies, will be reprising the role he was born to play. As long as he captures the character again, age shouldn't be an issue.

I'll make no assumptions as to the quality of Koepp's screenplay except that it will be better than Lucas' work. I honestly don't believe that anyone can rival that man when it comes to insufferable writing. If it's halfway decent and original, the rest of the team should have no trouble making an enjoyable movie out of it. All in all, I think we've got a good film coming our way.

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. They shouldn't really have to since they've said they're trying to go for as little CG as possible

5. Yes

4. They shouldn't really have to since they've said they're trying to go for as little CG as possible
Didn't ILM do the non-CGI special effects on the original Indiana Jones films? ILM doesn't nescessarily mean CGI, does it? :?

Well, it's not like Lucas wrote any of the films. The first one was his story written by Lawrence Kasdan, by way of Phillip Kaufman. The second one was his story by way of the Huycks. The third one was his story by way of Menno Meyjes. I never had a problem with Lucas's stories. Only his writing.

Koepp IMO is a hit and miss, although generally more miss than hit. He's got 3-4 good ones, and a whole lot of unimpressive ones, as well as a couple of downright bad ones. My biggest fear is that I've lost my confidence in Spielberg in picking/developing material. I actually think that Lucas could be a force for good as producer on the film. He's always been a guardian of the series, been more enthusiastic than Spielberg about it. He really seems to love Indy. Hopefully that will show.

Didn't ILM do the non-CGI special effects on the original Indiana Jones films? ILM doesn't nescessarily mean CGI, does it? :?

I forgot about that but still, those were practical effects and they've pretty much shut down that department (I believe they shut down their miniatures dept early last year)

I forgot about that but still, those were practical effects and they've pretty much shut down that department (I believe they shut down their miniatures dept early last year)
They did? They still did use miniatures for Star Wars Episode III.

I'm still waiting for the next press interview from Spielberg where he says "were still fine tuning the script,when everything is perfect and if everyone is available we'll do it ",totally ignoring this"oficial" press release.

K.M.

I'll believe it when I'm actually sitting in my seat and the Paramount logo comes on screen and it says "Indiana Jones And The......."

Or when I have the soundtrack in my hands, if it's released first.

Will Sallah be in Indy IV? That would be cool.

I think they have been planning on using Sallah and Brody in Indy IV for years...ever since they mentioned on doing Indy 4 in the first place. Well the good news is between these two characters is that John Rhys-Davies the actor is still alive and yes they can still use him. However the bad news is that Denholm Elliott isn't alive anymore so they have to get a new actor to play Dr. Marcus Brody at least someone who is almost look like actor the Denholm Elliott.

So yeah there is going to be some changes in the role for Indy 4 compared to the previous three. I expect Indy 4 to be different compared to previous three.

If they had any sense they's leave the Marcus brody character well alone......a mention or two perhaps, but a new actor? that's just stupid.

Yes, acknowlege his passing but don't re-cast him.

Besides this film is supposed to reflect Indy's age so it would make sense that Brody could have passed away.

I see your point. But it is quite a let down considering he is one of the main characters as in Indy sidekick.