35 members have voted

1. 1.

• Old Themes
    • New Themes
    • Have no idea, but prefer reusing old ones
    • Have no idea, but prefer hearing new ones
    • Have no idea
    • Don't give a crap

It's best to read a book before a film, a film spoils a book more than a book spoils a film and when you've read the book, you know the details behind much of what you see in the film.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which means that you should get to it and read the second book. They are all fantastic especially the 3rd and 4th. And to go back to the actual topic posted, I think it will be a mix of the old themes with one or possibly two new ones, not more though. Even though I would like it to be new new new.... :)

Don't you want to see how Hermione dies????????? It's so tragic! OK OK, I'm totally being silly and that isn't true, BUT READ!!!! It's an order!

It's best to read a book before a film, a film spoils a book more than a book spoils a film and when you've read the book, you know the details behind much of what you see in the film.

Agreed. It seems most people who haven't read LOTR liked the first film. But they don't know how much they're missing.

The Potter books are really great, but LOTR is in a league of it's own. There has to be something special about a book that I've read 9 times in 9 years.

Marian - who was reading LOTR (for the second time I believe) when I first heard a Williams CD.

Lots of topics in this thread!

I would like more of the old themes already mentioned, and new themes representing aspects of the movie that have already been mentioned

Harry-a private meeting with JW at Cleveland?!?!? I'm so jealous! But also happy for you, I hope it works out!

Dan-thanks for the tips on autograph material. Since I'm not the boy who lived and can't conjure up any magical connections with the orchestra (jk Harry! ;) ), I probably won't get a chance to meet JW, but I will take your advice and hope for the best.

General Spoiler about the tone of the ending of the fourth HP book, in case anyone feels it would be horrific to read this:

About the HP books, they're all so great. But the best part of any of them has to be the end of the fourth book. Powerful, emotional, makes me weep. And it really leaves you hanging for the next book. Hagrid's line, "As long as we've got Dumbldore, I won't worry" gives me chills. I wonder if it foreshadows some dark event down the road. :|

Ray Barnsbury

I'm not sure Voldemorts theme will return. I mean seriously, after he is vanquished in the first book/movie, he doesnt return until Book#4. This is not a spoiler as he returns in the very first chapter of Book#4.

Voldemorts theme doesnt really have a place in movie#2 as the character we are talking about is not *really* the same Voldemort is he?

I don't want to say anything more for the unspoiled.

To answer the original question, I think he will return a real lot of the themes from part1, and mix in with them new themes for Gilderoy, the "monster", and possibly the Weaseleys. I don't think he'll have a theme for Draco until movie #3 or #4.

Moaning Myrtle might have a small motif, but I'm not sure how much music the bathroom scenes will need.

A better question is, will we get any new concert arrangements???

-Jason, who thinks book#2 was the best of the 4 books, is really upset that book#5 was pushed back until 2003, and it REALLY looking forward to John's score for movie#2

:music: The Lost World (complete)

I hope we get great Myrtle music... it does depend on wether or not she is in a lot though. I really hope John does the score, what no one realizes is that he hasn't commited yet

-Jason, who thinks book#2 was the best of the 4 books, is really upset that book#5 was pushed back until 2003, and it REALLY looking forward to John's score for movie#2  

what did you like best about book 2 may I ask?

I would like him to expand on old themes while introducing new ones,just like he does for every sequel he scores.

K.M.

Just to confirm, John Williams is indeed scoring Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets. He says so himsef in at least one of the CNN interviews. I watched it again today (I recorded one of them) and after asked about what's next for him, he mentions Minority Report, Harry Potter #2, and Catch Me If You Can, all as definite commitments. Two Spielberg scores and a Harry Potter score? Sounds like some great opportunities for more un-hacked Williams music!

Ray Barnsbury

Ren, I'm not sure, to be quite honest.

I read book#1 after already having seen the movie, so all its twists I already knew. Book#2 was soooo cool cause it was all the cool characters and places from book/movie #1 in completely new situations........ and I loved the flying car and the giant spider and the "monster" and the parsemouth and the "wizards duel" and the diary and Gilderoy and what happens to Gilderoy - just everything.

Book#3 was also amazing, with the best twists. Its a close second to book#2.

Book#4 is the hardest for me to decide. In some ways it is the best, in other ways it is the worst. For one thing, it was full of amazing ideas, but it was simply too bloated. I didn't car for whole Hermione/House-Elf subplot that seemed to go on forever. And while the climax was SO incredible and chilling, it really just popped in suddenly after 3 and a half fairly lighthearted books. After that climax, theres no way the last 3 books will be in the same tone as the first 4 at all. I think she should have saved that climax for the second-to-last book.

That climax also makes the ever-increasing wait for the 5th book that much more frustrating!

:music:

-Jason, who hopes book/score #2 will tide us over until she finishes book#5.

Who is also planning on re-reading 1-4 as soon as a date is announced for #5, and will get back to you on which is his favorite and why then ;)

I read book two in one day, and the whole time I was reading it I sort of played a movie in my head. I thought book two was good and I don't doubt it will make an excellent movie. I think that the weasley's need a theme because of the huge role they begin taking on. I also think that the Car scene will have very awesome music too.

But I felt that book 2 was just a good book. I didn't expect things to happen in them, I just thought - oh that's neat and I went on.

But for book 3! I was thinking OMG what can possibly happen next. Just the indepth thought that must have gone into writing it with the maurader's map, the whole plot unfolding with MWPP and Hermione's secret. I think this book has way more to offer than book 2 score wise and scene wise. I think it will be an EXCELLENT movie and I hope they can put as much time and effort into it as they did HP and the SS. I don't want them to make movies to make movies. I want them to make art forms.

I hope book 5 and movie 2 AND 3 come out soon.

Ren

I read book#1 after already having seen the movie, so all its twists I already knew.

Which reminds me, the film, very good though it is, is EXTREMELY linearized. All the hints and clues that are spread throughout the book are placed very obviously in the film. A 2:30 children's film simply can't be as exciting as the books. What makes the books masterpieces is that everything you have to know to solve them is there in the first few chapters - you just never figure out how it all fits together until the very end.

Marian - who for some reason always imagined Hermione to look like Susie (sp?) from Calvin & Hobbes.

What I wonder is, if there ever comes a 4th episode of Harry Potter, how long would that film have to be if they want to stay as close to the book as part ?

I think it's impossible to film all the Triwizard tournament and the whole plotline, without having to make a film of about 4 hours. (Which I wouldn't care though...)

The filmakers have said on a few seperate occasions that book#4 is going to be turned into 2 movies, filmed at the same time. One is to be released in the summer, the second the following winter. The really interesting part is that movie#3 is not coming out until 2004, which means movie#4 should come out in 2005, placing the first one square against Star Wars 3 in the summer. Also this means Return of the King will have no Harry Potter movie to compete with it in 2003 (although, it will have to compete with the Matrix3!)

Anyway, I remember when reading book#4, trying to figure out where the cliffhanger would be between movies. I beleive the halfway point of the book is right around the first task (stealing the egg from the dragons), so the first movie would probably end right after that.

-Jason

:mrgreen: 1941 (complete)

Splitting it into two movies? Who said that?

Marian - who wonders if they'll be able to keep all the actors, particularly if they do all 7 films and don't release one every year. (PLEASE don't replace Hermione!)

The same actors only had contracts for movie#1 and movie#2. Its up to them to decide if they want to return for movie#3 and movie(s)#4. I don't see why any of them wouldn't return, though.

Although one actress, the lady who played Madame Hooch, broke her contract and decided not to return for movie#2..... she felt the adult actors were not getting enough money or something like that. Madame Hooch had minor to no parts in the other books anyway, I think they are just going to write around her.

The actor who was just signed on to play Draco in movie#2, however, is contracted to return as Draco in movie(s)#4.

I'll try to find a link to an article that mentions book#4 being turned into 2 movies.....

-Jason

I liked Book 2 more, next is Book 3.

First of is a book writing back to Harry and Ginnywhich I think is totally amazing, Tom Riddle, the phoenix scene, and Harry vs. Tom, and then Aragog;

But I'm wondering how J.K Rowling can finish the series in 3 more books; it seems that it was such a buildup to finish in just three books.

Have you noticed that with each book, the number of pages increases.

Book 4 was 700 pgs. I can't imagine how big Books 5,6,7 are going to be...

It's almost June, how come I haven't seen any cast list for HP 2?

And Kenneth Branagh as Gilderoy Lockhart seems like a good choice...

But to make all 7 books into 7 movies would be difficult....

I am looking forward to hear more JW's HP stuff.

Hoping for a good Tom Riddle & Aragog theme.

7 movies would make the Harry Potter series bigger than the Star Wars saga. And probably the same will happen as what happened after ROTJ: the filmmakers are thinking enough is enough. I won't do it anymore, the hype is over and we get to much critic.

So i really doubt it that there are going to be 7 movies, and if they start cuttig books in two, it is really going to be a long story.

I'm not sure Voldemorts theme will return.  I mean seriously, after he is vanquished in the first book/movie, he doesnt return until Book#4.  This is not a spoiler as he returns in the very first chapter of Book#4.

Voldemorts theme doesnt really have a place in movie#2 as the character we are talking about is not *really* the same Voldemort is he?

Spoiler Alert.

Perhaps Voldemorts theme may return at the end of book 2 since he may or may not be the same but it is him none the less.

Joe, who must reread the entire HP series, and who may make a last ditch attempt to drudge through the Tolkien mud again.

The actor who was just signed on to play Draco in movie#2, however, is contracted to return as Draco in movie(s)#4.

There's a new Draco in movie #2? Pity, he was perfect in #1.

Marian - who wants to see book #3 and #4 as a movie, and probably #5 through #7 as well when I've read them.

They will split Harry Potter 4 into two films and going head to head with Episode III in 2005. They also plan on doing all 7 stories (8-10) films using the same cast, or, at least, keeping them as long as they can.

Richard Harris and Maggie Smith will be the big challenges to keep on-board throughout the ride, however.

Plainly (and nicely) put: Zoe Wannamaker (Madame Hooch) is a pain.

Director - who knows Johnny will score Harry Potter and the Chamber Of Secrets for sure, and will most likely score Harry Potter and the Prisoner Of Azkaban.

Ack! I meant Lucious Malfoy!! Not Draco. The actor who's gonna be Lucius Malfoy in movie#2 will return as Lucius in movie#4.

<slapping self on forehead>

-Jason, who can't remember if Lucius is in book#3 or not....

Oh Lucious. That's good. :)

Richard Harris and Maggie Smith will be the big challenges to keep on-board throughout the ride, however.

Particularly since Harris reportedly never wanted the role in the first place. Still, as long as they keep Watson and Grint (and hopefully Coltrane and Rickman), I'm happy.

Marian - who wants to watch the DVD again soon.

:music: Small Soldiers (Jerry Goldsmith)

Are you saying that it is going to be a problem keeping them on because of their ages? Or because they are too big as Stars? It wouldn't make sense changing them!!! I love Maggie Smith!!!!!!!! SHE CAN"T GO!!!! Oh my God, my hundredth post............................ AAAGGGHHHHH!!!!!

Particularly since Harris reportedly never wanted the role in the first place. Still, as long as they keep Watson and Grint (and hopefully Coltrane and Rickman), I'm happy.  

THat's true about Harris. Harris didn't even know about the phenomenon. I heard that his granddaughter was into the HP books. and "encouraged" him to play dumbledore. :music:

Did you know that Rickman had helped in getting Sean Biggerstaff cast as Oliver Wood? Rickman had directed Winter Guest and Sean was in his film. There's a lot of girls like my sis, who went gaga over Oliver Wood when the film came out...as much as Harry and Draco! Imagine that.

:)

I hope they hurry up with the films, Harry's not getting younger.

They should've done it like the LOTR series. They filmed all three already minus SFX, so that the characters don't age.

THat's true about Harris.  Harris didn't even know about the phenomenon. I heard that his granddaughter was into the HP books.  and "encouraged" him to play dumbledore.

"Encouraged" as in "threatened not to speak to him again" from what I've read. :music:

I hope they hurry up with the films, Harry's not getting younger.  

They should've done it like the LOTR series.  They filmed all three already minus SFX, so that the characters don't age.

But they DO age in the books! Actually, Columbus even addresses this in the short documentary on the DVD, talking about how great it wouild be to see all three actors age with their characters through the entire series. The only problem is that they can't afford many breaks longer than a year each between the films...

My guess is that Maggie and Richard don't want to continue because of the time it will take and their age.

I went ga ga over Wood

Wow! I didn't know that. Maggie Smith definitely needs to stay there and I'm pretty sure Alan Rickman will stay around......same for Robby Coltrane.

My cousin and a few other girls/ladies went all dreamy when Biggerstaff walked on-screen.

Ren: I'm sure the name helps. he he he he he he

Director - waiting to see how Ren goes off on this one....

Maggie Smith is an incredible actress, but if you have seen her do comedy, when you read the books you would have thought of her as another character, The Woman in book 3 with the crystal ball. Each time I read her part I thought of Maggie Smith!!!

I was going to say something bitchy about the "Potter" followup, because frankly I could care less -- but now that I've seen Kenneth Branagh's name dropped a few times, I may change my tune.

The best thing about the first film was the wonderful supporting cast. Too bad they hardly used it. I hope that changes with the sequel, although I rather think it's more likely we will be subjected to another CGI shitstorm.

Figo, who just watched Branagh's amazing "Henry V" again the night before last (and his rather more puzzling "Love's Labours Lost" on Saturday).

Director -- Do yourself a favor and finish LOTR before seeing the movie. At the very least, try not to lose your enthusiam for the books. The originals are so much richer.

was going to say something bitchy about the "Potter" followup, because frankly I could care less -- but now that I've seen Kenneth Branagh's name dropped a few times, I may change my tune.  

why?

I too am a big fan of Branagh's work, with the exception of Frankenstein. Can't wait to see him as Lockhart and hopefully direct PoA. He's one of three candidates for the job. You can read the article here on This Is London. Columbus will stay on as an Executive Producer.

However, Figo, I doubt you'll like CoS and better than the first film because the supporting cast will continue to take a backseat to the children, as they are the focus of the story.

I too am a big fan of Branagh's work, with the exception of Frankenstein.  Can't wait to see him as Lockhart and hopefully direct PoA. He's one of three candidates for the job.

Branagh to direct PoA? Please not! I immensly enjoy his acting and directing (including Frankenstein :)), but that would probably mean Doyle would score PoA. Now I love Doyle, too, but when given the choice between a Williams Potter and a Doyle Potter, I'd pick the former, particularly since we already have one of that kind and it would kepe the continuity. And I wouldn't like to see Branagh drop Doyle in favour of Williams, either.

Marian - who is still waiting for news about the rumoured DVD release of Branagh's Hamlet.

Yeah, I hope Potter scores remain a Williams staple. It would be great if they made all 7 books into movies (and I'm not even a Potter fan!.....yet!) and then have 7(!) Williams scores. That would be just massive!

I just realized how these are great times we're living in. Ever since AI, Williams has just been a horse! Has this man even taken a break?!? AI, Harry Potter, the Olympics, the Oscars, Starwars2, Minority Report, Harry Potter2, and Catch me if you Can all within a year and a half of each other! The man's amazing! Has he ever been this productive in such a short span of time?

-going to watch a borrowed copy of the Harry Potter DVD

I dunno, I'd rather Williams spends the time trying a variety of things rather than more Harry Potter.