Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prokoviev: Alexander Nevsky (New Yorl Philharmonic Orchesta conducted by Thomas Schippers.)

JVC-M87711LG.jpg

A very thunderous 1961 recording that puts many film score recording of that era to shame.

The performance sounds very good to me, but this is my first Prokoviev, so I am without a frame of reference.

An SACD, like the above disc.

B0000029TH.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Recorded in 20 bit quality, so doesn't use the full potential of SACD, but it's a good recording nontheless.

Damn good performance overall. The Psycho Suite could have been a little colder though.

Final_Fantasy.jpg

:thumbup:

Tim

Aye its great. I went into the store looking for War of the Worlds but ended up with that. :D

Today I made another attempt to get WOTW. I visited the nearest music store to my home, but before I reached the W section, my eyes fell on something so unbelievable I stared at it dumbstruck for 5 secs. Finally! I own...

e678a888-90d2-4fd2-aa6d-14d262f4d7f5.jpg

and yes its nearly impossible to get it in stores here. :P:D :D

superman-cd-moviescore.jpg

Please don't hurt me for only getting it now!

Boy is my bank balance unhealthy after my most recent eBay splurge...

I just got this the other day! Took me a LOOONG time to finally get it!

And I thought the Varese / McNeely 2 cd set was good.

Damn!

Thank you Buysoundtrax. Hope you enjoy my $45.

I went online and downloaded a bunch of songs from "The SCI-FI Album" with The City of Prague Philharmonic. They want $35 dollars for the 2 disc set, but I was able to make a nice 80 minute CD for about $14 by purchasing the individual tracks I wanted. I'm a SCI-FI freak, so here are the tracks I purchased (although some are Adventure/Fantasy tracks):

Battlestar Galactica Suite- Stu Phillips

Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla- Akira Ifukube

Gremlins 2 - The New Batch- Jerry Goldsmith

Last Starfighter Main Theme- Craig Safan

Lifeforce- Henry Mancini

Matrix - Anything Is Possible- Don Davis

Pirates Of The Caribbean Suite- Klaus Badelt

Predator- Alan Silvestri

Raiders - Map Room At Dawn- John Williams

Robocop Suite- Basil Poledouris

Stargate SG1 Suite- Joel Goldsmith

Starship Troopers Suite- Basil Poledouris

H. Potter - Chamber Of Secrets- John Williams

The Black Hole Overture- John Barry

Total Recall- Jerry Goldsmith

War Of The Worlds Suite- Leith Stevens

The Ten Commandments Overture- Elmer Bernstein

Some of the soundtracks I already had, but it was nice to hear new arrangements and suites. I especially thought the sound quality and arrangement was better on the Pirates Of The Caribbean Suite, compared to the original soundtrack. Also, some tracks like Lifeforce, Predator, The Black Hole Oveture are not available on CD, (unless you buy bootleg or find a rare copy) so I was excited to get those.

As for regular CD's, I bought:

LOST soundtrack

MI III soundtrack

Stealth soundtrack

Hopefully the Summer movies will bring us more good soundtracks.

Williams on Williams: The Classic Spielberg Scores. It has some great Hook tracks.

Actually, none of these are original pressed copies, but copies made by the seller from the LP's. I paid $12 for each LP, and the seller burned the CD at no extra charge and sent it as part of the package. And shipping was really cheap, so it was a pretty good deal.

(And I'm going to try to sell the LP's online... :P )

Also got an original pressed copy of Return of the Jedi a couple weeks ago during a visit to San Francisco - only six bucks!!!

I've been listening to Superman for the last week and its absolutely phenomenal, particularly the Krypton theme (and of course its breathtaking statement in "The Planet Krypton").

Sadly the book/liner notes didn't come with my copy, and I found out I payed more than I needed to. Oh well, the music is enough for me.

Why did you scale that back cover down so much? Are you afraid of us finding out that you're listening to classical music? And what's on that Prokofiev disc?

:music: The Village (James Newton Howard)

Why did you scale that back cover down so much?

That's the size is was on eBay.

Are you afraid of us finding out that you're listening to classical music? And what's on that Prokofiev disc?

It has the Theme From 2001, I need that in SACD. :P

As for the Prokofiev disc, it has a suite from Romeo and Julliette, and some symphony thing that I can easily skip.

Also got an original pressed copy of Return of the Jedi a couple weeks ago during a visit to San Francisco - only six bucks!!!

I lost mine.Dissapeared from my collection,poof!I also lost my Psycho 2 c.d.

K.M.

I was just at Sam Goody in my local mall. The store was closing, and everything was at least 50% off. Looking over the soundtrack shelf, it was pretty picked over, but there were a few good things left. I grabbed...

B000EHSVDM.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V56869795_.jpg

and

B000A0GOXW.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

...two scores I had been wanting very badly, for under $9 each. When I was checking out, the guy said if I had one more CD or DVD, I'd get 10% off. So I went back and grabbed...

B000BF0DTC.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

However, now I'm kicking myself because I later remembered that I saw Silvestri's Polar Express there earlier. I wish I had grabbed that one! (In fact, I might just go back and get it.) I also almost got Ottman's Fantastic Four. I've heard some samples from it...though it was okay. I really only what to hear it just to get a better idea of what to expect for Superman. I don't know...should I have gotten it?

I

I also almost got Ottman's Fantastic Four. I've heard some samples from it...though it was okay. I really only what to hear it just to get a better idea of what to expect for Superman. I don't know...should I have gotten it?

well, what I heard during the movie isn't anything like what I've heard so far from the SR clips, so don't kick yourself over missing the Fantastic Four score, which is mediocre at best.

I went online and downloaded a bunch of songs from "The SCI-FI Album" with  The City of Prague Philharmonic.  They want $35 dollars for the 2 disc set, but I was able to make a nice 80 minute CD for about $14 by purchasing the individual tracks I wanted.  I'm a SCI-FI freak, so here are the tracks I purchased (although some are Adventure/Fantasy tracks):

Battlestar Galactica Suite- Stu Phillips

Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla- Akira Ifukube

Gremlins 2 - The New Batch- Jerry Goldsmith

Last Starfighter Main Theme- Craig Safan

Lifeforce- Henry Mancini

Matrix - Anything Is Possible- Don Davis

Pirates Of The Caribbean Suite- Klaus Badelt

Predator- Alan Silvestri

Raiders - Map Room At Dawn- John Williams

Robocop Suite- Basil Poledouris  

Stargate SG1 Suite- Joel Goldsmith

Starship Troopers Suite- Basil Poledouris  

H. Potter - Chamber Of Secrets- John Williams

The Black Hole Overture- John Barry

Total Recall- Jerry Goldsmith

War Of The Worlds Suite- Leith Stevens

The Ten Commandments Overture- Elmer Bernstein  

Some of the soundtracks I already had, but it was nice to hear new arrangements and suites.  I especially thought the sound quality and arrangement was better on the Pirates Of The Caribbean Suite, compared to the original soundtrack.  Also, some tracks like Lifeforce, Predator, The Black Hole Oveture are not available on CD, (unless you buy bootleg or find a rare copy) so I was excited to get those.

As for regular CD's, I bought:

LOST soundtrack

MI III soundtrack

Stealth soundtrack

Hopefully the Summer movies will bring us more good soundtracks.

Silva has recorded an SG-1 suite?

I used to have that CD but when the 4 disc anthology came out I didn't need it anymore.

It had some decent versions on it.

How is that CD set, Genius?

I'm in the middle of CD3 so I haven't really got a chance to listen to the whole thing. The selections are pretty good. I'm real glad to finally have the full "Han Solo and the Princess." Overall, I'm really happy that I bought it (used, ~$25).

Now, I'm not the JW nut that a lot of you guys are so I shouldn't critique anything other that the Star Wars stuff, but I will say this: First, the orchestra isn't particularly tight. Second, the cds don't have the best sound engineering. Strangely, these are GOOD things! They sound so vintage, I love it!

Keep in mind this is just an early evaluation.

*EDIT: "Across the Stars" may be better here than on the OST, wow!