Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

B000FBFTCS.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V53169844_.jpg

Looks like Powell does write the occasional good score once in a while. This is my second of his CDs, after Chicken Run. Mostly solid, with several standout moments. Dark Phoenix's Tragedy was really impressive in the film, and it still works well on CD. I like its concept, the slow, building string version of the phoenix theme on top of that fierce action stuff.

280.jpg

Got this cheap off ebay. Good even by Goldenthal's standards, and quite diverse. Goldenthal's singing on the opening track is somewhat creepy.

B00000K4GK.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Excellent. The last major Wagner opera I hadn't heard in its entirety before. Now I just need a Parsifal (and an original copy of Kempe's Lohengrin) to complete my collection.

I've been replacing my old vinyl Vaughan-Williams choral music box set with the same performances on CD. To get the exact recordings from the 7-disc vinyl set I've had to buy about 10 different CDs! Still it's worth it, all the music is conducted by Sir Adrian Boult, David Willcocks, and Meredith Davies. Great classic 60s recordings, all!

Indeed.

I've been replacing my old vinyl Vaughan-Williams choral music box set with the same performances on CD. To get the exact recordings from the 7-disc vinyl set I've had to buy about 10 different CDs! Still it's worth it, all the music is conducted by Sir Adrian Boult, David Willcocks, and Meredith Davies. Great classic 60s recordings, all!

I didn't know there's so much choral music by RVW. I'll have to re-listen to Job and see if I like it more this time.

Here's my newest acquisition:

B0000AUHQF.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

For three reasons; 1) I wanted an original copy of the soundtrack, and this wasn't more expensive than a CD on ebay (it comes with the OST CD); 2) the iso score; 3) I've been curious about the movie ever since I first heard the score live in concert.

:D Rudy (Jerry Goldsmith)

Good. Now get the Deluxe Edition of Total Recall. :D

I originally had the regular edition on tape but it disappeared. I'm not big enough into JG to spend a whole $17 on him. <shields self from eggs and tomatoes>

Oh, and add this for good measure:

cd01.jpg

Good. Now get the Deluxe Edition of Total Recall. :D

Ah yes, a hole in my collection that needs to be filled too. Along with more Goldsmith. You can't have too much Goldsmith.

It is very good. Overall a bit too subdued for me to play it frequently, but even then it has some gripping highlights. And for many others, Total Recall is only Goldsmith's second-best Verhoeven score, so... put it on the list next to those Korngolds. :)

:D Basic Instinct (Jerry Goldsmith)

I actually haven't seen Basic Instinct yet. I want too, though. I actually asked at the video rental store today if they had it. For some mysterious reason, they didn't. :D

Indeed.

I didn't know there's so much choral music by RVW. I'll have to re-listen to Job and see if I like it more this time.

Job rocks! (Although it's not a choral piece). Satan's Dance of Triumph is a real winner, such excitement and mock-evil. Very humerous and dramatic at the same time.

Donna Nobis Pacem is a good introduction to VW's choral music, as is the gorgeous Mass in G. Also, his 1st symphony was a choral work (A Sea Symphony) though it's a bit heavy-going as an introduction to his music. Better to work up to that one.

Funny you should mention this just now when I'm back to the board for the very reason to comment on my earlier post: I'm just listening to Job, and I like it. And yes, there's no choir, and I have no idea what made me think there was one. :P

The Sea Symphony actually is one of my RVW favourites. As a whole work I still find it a bit difficult, but there's plenty of highlights and a rousing start. Along with the London Symphony probably my favourite of his symphonies.

I actually haven't seen Basic Instinct yet. I want too, though. I actually asked at the video rental store today if they had it. For some mysterious reason, they didn't. :D

Aren't you Dutch? :wave:

:D  A Sea Symphony

Daaa da da daaa dadadada da!

"Behold......... the SEAAAAAAAAA itself"

What a great opening! My favourite movement has to be the scherzo though (The Waves). VW was studying with Ravel at around this time and I really hear a lot of Ravel in the stormy music, but then it all goes very British when the hymn-like tune comes in! Great stuff.

Vaughan-Williams is probably my favourite composer so I could go on for hours! If you want to hear a great symphony check out his 4th. The 3rd movement sounds just like the Klingon theme from Goldsmith's Star Trek: The Motion Picture score. :wave: Seriously, just like it!

You mean they panned away the good bits? 8O

I dunno. But the image composition looked like crap.

Beaver shot was in there, though.

There's a complete edition of Basic Instinct?

Hmmm...

And you call yourself moderator.

Well, of a John Williams forum, mind you.

- Marc, who'll probably never have enough Goldsmith.

You can never have enough Goldsmith.

"Behold......... the SEAAAAAAAAA itself"

What a great opening! My favourite movement has to be the scherzo though (The Waves). VW was studying with Ravel at around this time and I really hear a lot of Ravel in the stormy music, but then it all goes very British when the hymn-like tune comes in! Great stuff.

The first half of the first movement and the scherzo are my favourites of that symphony.

Vaughan-Williams is probably my favourite composer so I could go on for hours! If you want to hear a great symphony check out his 4th. The 3rd movement sounds just like the Klingon theme from Goldsmith's Star Trek: The Motion Picture score. :P Seriously, just like it!

#4 was the first RVW I'd ever heard, many years ago live in concert. Back then, it somewhat reminded me of Jurassic Park.

For all those wondering what we're talking about, I can very much recommend the Andrew Davis/BBC Symphony Orchestra 6CD set of all the RVW symphonies plus bits like Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis. Great recordings, very good sound, and only about 20 euros for the whole set. 8O

I've had Lady in the Water on almost non-stop for 2 days now, and I'm getting addicted to it. The Great Eatlon is my absolute favourite track, and currently my third most played track in Winamp since March (beating Journey to the Island).

I really, really recommend this score :)

Oh, and damn you Michael for taking that avatar first :|

I bought it on Amazon.com marketplace after some searching, you could probably find a few on ebay too.

Since it's impossible to get any new score within two weeks from the release date in my ignorant town, I downloaded Superman Returns.

I love parts of it, but I agree with those who say the clash of Ottman's style and Williams' writing is almost unbearable.

In "Saving The World", the triumphant march gets abruptly stopped by wild choral noise (I'd really like to use another word, but "noise" is perfect). I had hoped that this was just a bad edit job, but I was traumatised when I found out this is exactly how it's used in the film.

And a couple of other things.

b00008olyn01dmntnob4.jpg

Tim

Alright man! Opeth is some good stuff (I'm picking up their Special Edition of Ghost Reveries sometime soon).

My latest purchase was Black Holes and Revelations by Muse. Disappointing. A very pop-influenced album but there are a few catchy tunes. Can't overthrow Absolution, not by a mile.

I don't get it.  Why is everyone on Opeth's jock?  They're alright, but I just don't get why everyone is digging them so much.

Well I can only speak for myself, but I just got into them maybe . . . 4-5 months ago. I really don't dig the growling stuff but for some reason they finally clicked and Ghost Reveries for me is just a very infectous album. I only commented on it because I didn't think anyone else here listened to them (yeah yeah, I'm stereotyping).

Now if I find a Williams fan who's favorite band is Dream Theater . . . well. . . then I'll just implode.