Soundtracks, Compilations, or other recently purchased Music

ashinyobject

MotorCity Tryptych and Raise the Roof are my two favourites from both CDs so far.

I received Raise the Roof full score yesterday, but the CD is not yet here (it should be tomorrow or on Saturday however). It sure looks great and a lot of fun to play, particularly the all-sixteenth-notes cadenza. ;) Gosh, I wish I could play it someday. Well, one never knows ... :lol:

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of percussion, do you know Christopher Rouse's Bonham? A cool 7 minute piece for 8 percussionists (including a solo rock drummer).

No, never heard of that one before but I'll definitely check it out, thanks!

On Friday, I was overjoyed when I found the original JFK soundtrack in the second hand CD store for 8 €, yaaay! :P;)

Elmer Bernstein Conducts Bernard Herrmann

The Adventures of Mark Twain - Steiner

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves - Kamen

Kingdom of Heaven - Gregson-Williams

Sunset Boulevard: The Classic Scores of Franz Waxman - Waxman/Gerhardt

The Producers (Broadway Cast) - Brooks

Phantom of the Opera (2 disc Broadway cast) - Weber

Stopped by a Newbury Comics. They were playing "Carbon Freeze" as I walked in. Turns out they were playing the whole ESB SE soundtrack. Very cool, especially of course since I was there to browse for any JW. I found mint used Angela's Ashes and Born on the Fourth of July for a few bucks each. They also had the original ESB and ROTJ soundtrack CDs in great shape, which I considered picking up for the hell of it. Passed though. Over in the "Classical" section I found the Pops Out of This World CD for a couple bucks. I was slightly skeptical about it and left it, but I did notice it had the "Jabba the Hutt" concert arrangement. Naturally I want the CD now, so I'll probably end up going back tomorrow.

I recently bought a couple of Naxos CDs:

Daugherty - Fire & Blood / Motorcity Triptych / Raise the Roof

-Great CD, thanks to Marian for the suggestion :(

Daugherty - Metropolis Symphony / Deus ex Machina

-The symphony, inspired by the 50th anniversary of Superman comics, is a fun rollercoaster ride!

Corigliano - A Dylan Thomas Trilogy

Corigliano - Mr. Tambourine Man - Seven Poems of Bob Dylan

-Those two are stunning works, though requiring an attentive, in-depth listen to really appreciate (At least the first couple of times). The Dylan Thomas Trilogy is a full-scale hour-long oratorio of sorts for several (male) soloists, chorus, and orchestra, chronicling the life of the author from innocent boy ("Fern Hill", boy soprano) and contemplating adult ("Poem in October", tenor) to a bitter-perspective point close to the end of his life ("Poem on his birthday", baritone); The first two parts are encapsulated by the reflective "Author's Prologue" setting them in retrospective context from the later POV, unifying the work to a coherent experience. The music has a wide stylistical spectrum, ranging from reminiscences of Barber (for the childhood) and Britten (maturity), to Coriglianos contemporary style for the "contemporary" (late-life) parts. An emotional rollercoaster ride.

The Bob Dylan song cycle (only using Dylan's lyrics, not his music) also made a profound impact on me... Corigliano chose seven texts by Dylan to set for (amplified) soprano solo and orchestra, starting with a surreal "Mr Tambourine Man" as the prologue, then following a path from (again) youthful innocence ("Clothes Line") to awareness of the wider world and its problems ("Blowin' in the Wind", "Masters of War", "All Along the Watchtower"), culminating in a kind of utopian vision ("Chimes of Freedom" with a hymn-like chorus and tolling bells), closing with a somber and beautiful musical absolution ("Forever Young", largely the soprano a-capella). A rewarding and overwhelming listen.

I bought "Pines of Rome" on iTunes. The first movement sounds a bit like "Planet Krypton." Good stuff.

What do you think about the final - fourth movement?

I like it, although I must confess it does seem a bit anti-climactic, especially when you have that larger-than-life ending of the first movement.

Are you sure you're not confusing some movements? I would neither describe the first one ("Pines of Villa Borghese", fast-paced, shrill and frantic) as sounding like "Planet Krypton", nor as having a larger-than-life ending... do you perhaps mean the second movement, "Pines near a catacomb"? That one starts with low, deep cello and bass lines, has an ethereal distant trumpet solo in the middle, and builds to a magnificent climax with a string section ostinato in parallel fifths counterpointing a glorious brass theme.

I'm still waiting on my damn order that I placed on September 24th. Still not shipped. What the fuck SAE?

Maybe instead of bitching on here call them.

I've emailed them several times over the course of the 4+ weeks it's taking them. Last week they said they would receive their shipment of Italian scores on Thursday, well it's Sunday and my order is still pending.

Last week they said they would receive their shipment of Italian scores on Thursday, well it's Sunday and my order is still pending.

Hm, maybe it's not all SAE's fault. I also work quite a lot with Italians as a part of my job, and I can tell you that they are extremely unreliable. :(;)

Yeah, and I can tell you that when you work with Mexicans you have to be careful not to leave your possessions unattended, and when you work with Pakistanis you should wear a bullet proof vest, and when you work with black people you shouldn't bring your girlfriend or they'll pimp her to the street clientele, hahaha...

I hope you guys didn't misunderstand me, any Italian board members in particular - I meant no disrespect, but it's true - in business relations, you can't really rely on Italians, while e. g. the Germans and the Swiss are 110 % reliable.

I bought "Pines of Rome" on iTunes. The first movement sounds a bit like "Planet Krypton." Good stuff.

What do you think about the final - fourth movement?

I like it, although I must confess it does seem a bit anti-climactic, especially when you have that larger-than-life ending of the first movement.

Are you sure you're not confusing some movements? I would neither describe the first one ("Pines of Villa Borghese", fast-paced, shrill and frantic) as sounding like "Planet Krypton", nor as having a larger-than-life ending... do you perhaps mean the second movement, "Pines near a catacomb"? That one starts with low, deep cello and bass lines, has an ethereal distant trumpet solo in the middle, and builds to a magnificent climax with a string section ostinato in parallel fifths counterpointing a glorious brass theme.

Whoops! You're right, I had the first and second one switched. That's what I get for buying them in the order they are on iTunes (which ranked them by popularity).

Daugherty - Fire & Blood / Motorcity Triptych / Raise the Roof

-Great CD, thanks to Marian for the suggestion :)

Specific comments? :)

Daugherty - Metropolis Symphony / Deus ex Machina

-The symphony, inspired by the 50th anniversary of Superman comics, is a fun rollercoaster ride!

This will be part of my next Amazon order - I had no idea it was on Naxos.

Received this, this and this from Amazon. :)

My favourite Alpensinfonie is Kempe's from Dresden. Absolutely stunning. I like the Karajan a lot as well, although it has a few flaws and doesn't sound as good as the Kempe (early 80s digital recording vs early 70s analogue recording is usually a clear win for the 70s). I should get an original of Thielemann's someday. How's your Naxos version?

Comments on the Daugherty? :P Good to see he's been getting some attention here (myself certainly included) as of late. I shall focus on Kernis next. And I finally have to get some Respighi.