Least important istrument of the standard orchestra ---->

pi

Which is the least important instrument group of the standard orchestra minus percussion?  

28 members have voted

1. 1.

• Flutes
    • Oboes
    • Clarinets
    • Bassoons
    • Horns in F
    • Trumpets
    • Trombones
    • Violins
    • Violas
    • Celli
    • Contrabasso

hmm well i naturally went towards the viola right away but then migrated towards the oboes then back to the viola. Tough one. I was always of the opinion the violas should be replaced by a second cello section. Didn't include the other instruments on purpose (harp, percussion etc..) as the orchestra can survive without them.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How dare you even think of putting the Clarinet or Trumpet in this List!

As for me, i've always thought that the strings in the orchestra were overrated/used so I pick the Viola - the Violin's redheaded step-brother.

Me? A scotsman?

I'm just an extended visitor in this beautiful country. As for redheads, i've never seen so many in my life as I have seen here - and that's not a bad thing when considering all the wee Scottish lasses. :spiny:

It is with great regret that I vote for the bassoons. They're capable of producing gorgeous music, but they tend to get swallowed up by the ensembles sound and therefore would make the least difference if removed.

Violas are often overlooked, but they're important. Those middle voices need to be there; violins in that register are too ugly-sounding, and cellos are too brilliant.

Clarinet. I find that unless there's a solo, I have trouble hearing clarinets. Although, that could be said about oboes as well. I'm not sure.

Hans Zimmer's synths.

Totally agreed! All others are equally important, especially in a John Williams score.

Although it's not on the list, I'd say the Piccolo flute. To me, it's a purely supportive instrument. All other instruments, bassoons, clarinets, c flutes, they can all give a piece a certain colour.

But the piccolo flute ... in a standard orchestra, I think there's just one, and it's mainly there to reinforce the sound or for some punctuations.

Didn't include the other instruments on purpose (harp, percussion etc..) as the orchestra can survive without them.

Orchestras have survived without brass and/or woodwinds as well as without strings. It all depends on what the composer is going for. :spiny:

Marian - who should check out De Meij's original wind-only version of the LOTR symphony someday.

Well, as a composer, I've always been a little disinclined toward the clarinet, though it definitely has its moments. I'm sure I'm missing something.

There isn't one. The orchestra wouldn't be an orchestra if any of these were missing. It would automatically sound like a chamber orchestra instead. Whoever is voting for violas clearly doesn't understand how important they are. Strings form a single entity within the orchestra. It would be impossible to write for a string section without including violas, unless you were going for a specific sound.

Orchestras have survived without brass and/or woodwinds as well as without strings.

Um, an orchestra without strings would be called a BAND.

I typically prefer to consider all instruments to be of equal importance. That's like asking whether sopranos are most important than altos in a choir, or which member of a baseball team is more important. However, for the sake of this poll, after much consideration, I have to go with contrabassoon. It's barely audible and is almost never prominently featured.

I shall not even dignify this poll with a choice. I could never drop any of them. Williams himself talks about how, after so many centuries, the orchestra has basically remained the same, right (Maybe Timothy Mahr said that)?

~Conor

Least?

It depends on the composer to choose which instruments that he needs for the Orchestra.

I wouldn't want to miss any of them either. But choosing violas shows a lack of understanding for how important violas really are. They add that middle timbre, between cellos and violins, and can give violins playing melodic lines for example, a fuller, smoother sound. If I had to choose based on which is used the least, it would be the contra bassoon.

Marian - who should check out De Meij's original wind-only version of the LOTR symphony someday.

For a while you don't even notice much that there's "something missing", if you don't know already :)

Well, choosing the viola is unfortunate, as it HAS an important (although mostly not very prominent) part to play. But I couldn't drop any woodwinds, as those, moreso than the strings, each have a very unique voice, and those of you who bother to listen to music where it's not always either the full tutti sound or some instrument playing solo (Hello, Mr. (LotR) Shore! :D ), will notice that each instrument has its places where it shines through, and is un-substituable, even in ensemble sound.

I leave Zimmer&Co. fully out of this, as, not discussing the quality/enjoyability of the music itself, orchestration is one thing they don't really master.

You can tell when a composer isn't trained enough in orchestration and the finer nuances of it, when he seldom finds use of the woodwinds, except for solos... there are scores of scores out there where, even featuring a full orchestra, it's hard to discern the woodwinds at all, since there only there to fill up the sound and play in unison with the brass/strings the whole time. Some composers would (sadly) find a brass/percussion/string orchestra completely sufficient...

Humm...well, that's not exactly right. The wind-only version doesn't exist, as it is a wind ensemble that calls for some cellos and basses. Very odd instrumentation, but without those two instruments, some parts of it just don't sound good. We played it in the Cincinnati Youth Wind Ensemble last year for our final concert. Amazing set of work indeed. I would like to hear LSO's orchestral version someday also.

Anyway, back on topic, I voted for the clarinet. I like clarinet as an instrument, and it sounds great as a solo, but were I a composer on a budget, it would be the first thing I would ditch. It doesn't carry, it's too mellow, and it's range is large, but varies greatly in tamber from high to low, making it hard to control at times.

Oboe makes a beautiful expressive solo instrument and really does add to an ensemble. taking it out kinda makes an orchestra sound akward at times. Violas are essential. Even if they arn't acousticaly perfect, they are the best instrument of the strings in my mind. Throw out the violins if anything. We don't need all that shrill. Basson, I would have to agree, gets swallowed a lot. I still would keep it though, as it is the only option for bass in the woodwinds.

~JW

Orchestras have survived without brass and/or woodwinds as well as without strings.

Um, an orchestra without strings would be called a BAND.

No it isn't.

It's just not a symphonic orchestra.

I've never heard of an orchestra without strings. Do you have any examples?

You all make me sad... I am too important! Viola sections hold the orchestra together--at least in the world in my mind they do... You would be nothing without us!

Besides...who would you get to joke about :)

Yes, I'm a viola player... I'm sad now :D lol

I think the shaking chains Shore used in some statements of the Isengard theme were totally unnecessary. They grate my ears.

There, that's my answer and I'm sticking to it. :D

I've never heard of an orchestra without strings. Do you have any examples?
I decided to evoke the mood and feeling of inner Earth by using only instruments played in low registers. Eliminating all strings, I utilized an orchestra of woodwinds and brass, with a large percussion section and many harps. But the truly unique feature of this score is the inclusion of five organs, one large Cathedral and four electronic.

The second of Bruckners three major Masses uses only winds and chorus.

Marian - confident there are more examples. :o

well all I can say is thank God you didn't put cow bell on there.

I think we need more cow bell.

I decided to evoke the mood and feeling of inner Earth by using only instruments played in low registers. Eliminating all strings, I utilized an orchestra of woodwinds and brass, with a large percussion section and many harps. But the truly unique feature of this score is the inclusion of five organs, one large Cathedral and four electronic.

I would call that a concert or symphonic band. But hey, it's the 21st century, I guess you're allowed to call anything an orchestra if you want to. :jump: Harry Partch would probably call a treetrunk and a box of empty wine bottles an orchestra. And we won't even mention Spike Jones!

I've never heard of it before, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I looked on dolmetsch and the only non-strings orchestra I could find was Orchestre de Jazz, which is French for Jazz Band.