Blade Runner: Final Cut

Greg1138

This is good news. I have no copy of this amazing movie but I have seen it many times.(maybe I had it on VHS?)

I just watched from YouTube the ending(tears in the rain) of this film and almost cried.

Oh , and this is the only film in history I accept the use of synth music , It works fantastic.

In short, it shows that these people were not all making the same film.

We've known this to be a fact for over a decade.

The multi-disc set is probably overwhelming to your typical DVD buyer, but it's nice for the Blade Runner completist.

The casual DVD buyer probably won't buy Blade Runner. It's a film only certain people who already know about it would like anyways.

But a film can only be truly good if everyone involved knows what it is they are making, if all noses are pointing in the same direcion.

In most cases I would agree. I'm only saying that with Blade Runner and all the various versions and interpretations, it seems that it wasn't meant to have just one meaning or vision.

Blade Runner,to some,is the definitive sci-fi movie,including myself. This five box set,which is due for release soon,will be most satisfying.

New Blade Runner Soundtrack?

http://www.tyrell-corporation.pp.se/

Now.. This is some very good news

Frederick Rousseau, a Sound Engineer whom have been involved in many of Vangelis albums (assistant producer on Vangelis "Alexander" soundtrack among many others) mentions this in his blog

Just finish the "BLADE RUNNER" Version 2 project with VANGELIS ..... Three months of works including restoring tape process and new mixes with the last Euphonix Serie 5 desk. This Project brings back a lot of memories to Vangelis from that laps of time. During the last weeks we found a lot of unreleased cues and musics composed for the film and never used in it.... ( Interesting moment of discovery ... )

Blade Runner released date: October 2007

Seems like 2007 will be the year of an updated release of the Blade Runner soundtrack too.. Good news indeed !

Good news indeed - that unforgettable opening industrial skyline coupled with Vangelis' music and the wierd Japanese woman advertising ship is just one of many distinctive and happy memories of watching this movie one night, when I secretly stayed behind in the video shop I used to work in, and immediately thought Ridley Scott is a genius!

Really looking forward to this release, thank god Warners got back the legal rights to this!

- Tim

But a film can only be truly good if everyone involved knows what it is they are making, if all noses are pointing in the same direcion.

That is entirely untrue.  

• 3 weeks later...

As a big Star Wars fan, I have to say I'm jealous of this 25th anniversary release. We didn't get anything for the SW 30th. Take notes George!

Just saw what I believe was the 92 cut of this movie. While it was interesting, I can't say that it was my cup of tea - some stuff was just plain weird. I didn't care for the 80s 'cyberpunk' style either. However, I did rather enjoy the soundtrack. Parts where quite soothing and mysterious.

I have two trivial questions:

1. Did the first two origami models have any significance?

2. What was the 'happy ending' on the theatrical cut?

The happy ending is a sequence after Dekard goes into the elevator with Rachael at the end. The sequence is that of a beautiful landscape with Dekard and Rachael driving off into a hopeful future.

New Blade Runner Soundtrack?

http://www.tyrell-corporation.pp.se/

Now.. This is some very good news

Frederick Rousseau, a Sound Engineer whom have been involved in many of Vangelis albums (assistant producer on Vangelis "Alexander" soundtrack among many others) mentions this in his blog

Just finish the "BLADE RUNNER" Version 2 project with VANGELIS ..... Three months of works including restoring tape process and new mixes with the last Euphonix Serie 5 desk. This Project brings back a lot of memories to Vangelis from that laps of time. During the last weeks we found a lot of unreleased cues and musics composed for the film and never used in it.... ( Interesting moment of discovery ... )

Blade Runner released date: October 2007

Seems like 2007 will be the year of an updated release of the Blade Runner soundtrack too.. Good news indeed !

Great news indeed !

By the way, are there any photos of the super-duper-mega-ultra-limited-ultimate DVD set available ?

In most cases I would agree. I'm only saying that with Blade Runner and all the various versions and interpretations, it seems that it wasn't meant to have just one meaning or vision.

I agree with you, Vaderbait1. Blade Runner's fate seems almost to be a cinematographic equivalent to the fate of Tolkien's wonderful Silmarillion : no one really agrees on "THE" version...

For Blade Runner, this is in fact quite coherent ! Philip K. Dick's novel is one of uncertainty and dream. To set the meaning of the work in one film version is to go against the essence of the original literary work.

Great news indeed !

You better not get your hopes too high

From Elsewhere, a very trustworthy Vangelis site:

New Blade Runner related music project

"Blade Runner" has often proved to be a topic that can set the internet in its highest gears, as became clear once again when Vangelis' assistent producer and sound engineer Frederick Rousseau wrote an article in the blog on his web site about finishing work on a new Vangelis "Blade Runner" project. In no time at all, Blade Runner sites and forums throughout the world started refering to this article and both movie and music fans speculated - sometimes quite wildly - about what this all means.

Here are the details of the current situation, from reliable sources close to Vangelis:

A project is currently in completion that should lead to the release of a new Vangelis album, linked to and inspired by Blade Runner. This may or may not include some music created at the time of the original movie, but the bottom line is: Things have not been finalized. The content, or the format it will be released in may still change or has yet to be decided. There is also - at this point - no schedule for its release.

In short, the good news is that Vangelis has been hard at work, and we have something new to look forward to, especially exciting to everyone who loved Vangelis' Blade Runner music.

Elsewhere

By the way, are there any photos of the super-duper-mega-ultra-limited-ultimate DVD set available ?

No, not yet.

I must say although I like what Vangelis's score does in the film, I have never felt and probably will never feel the urge to buy this score separately.

What's on the fifth disc?

The workprint and possibly other extra features.

Hm.

I want to get a complete as possible release if I get this, but I don't really care for such bulky packaging...

I want to get a complete as possible release if I get this, but I don't really care for such bulky packaging...

Hey! What did bulky ever do to you?

Neil

I just watched the 4 scenes available at Yahoo. Guess what, Alex? The "Final Director's Cut" has a new sound mix, which seems to be on par with the 5.1 Jaws and Superman - The Movie tracks! Deckards gun now sounds ridiculous and the chase with Zhora seems to be "enhanced". Ugh.

Let's hope that the other versions included with this set don't feature this new track.

Neil

I just watched the 4 scenes available at Yahoo. Guess what, Alex? The "Final Director's Cut" has a new sound mix, which seems to be on par with the 5.1 Jaws and Superman - The Movie tracks! Deckards gun now sounds ridiculous and the chase with Zhora seems to be "enhanced". Ugh.

Let's hope that the other versions included with this set don't feature this new track.

Neil

Just heard the gunshot sound... :P

Hopefully that won't be the final version?

• 1 month later...
The 5-disc set of The Final Cut is now on pre-order at Play.com. The interesting thing is that the five disc set is sans briefcase (unlike Amazon US). And look at that price! Ridley Scott and Warner are so evil.

Whoa.

I'm very, very tempted to pre-order right away.

I'm just wondering if the BBFC hasn't secretly been snipping in there. Does anyone know?

I was just wondering.

There's several films that were censored in the UK but not in the rest of Europe (ToD, AotC and a few others).

This 5-discer isn't limited either, right?

Because if it isn't, I can wait a bit longer before ordering.

I was just wondering.

There's several films that were censored in the UK but not in the rest of Europe (ToD, AotC and a few others).

This 5-discer isn't limited either, right?

Because if it isn't, I can wait a bit longer before ordering.

I never heard of this so I don't think you have to worry. The International Cut (version for outside the US) has a bit more violence than the US Theatrical Cut.

Only the briefcase editions are limited, I think. I thought the 5-disc set only came in a briefcase but I guess they have other plans with Europe.