Blade Runner: Final Cut

Greg1138

Just now, Stefancos said:

I should see it right? To be considered a sci-fi film buff?

Have you seen Alphaville?  That's another movie that snobby sci-fi buffs love to recommend that I don't think is worth spending 5 minutes watching.

I also kind of can't stand Godard though.

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Was it a cinema that looks like an opera house? Those are still the best! I hate concrete multiplexes.

Yes the Astor Theater, proper old school which I do believe is listed as a heritage building

http://www.astortheatre.net.au/

54 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

The Tree Of Life feels like a spiritual successor to 2001 anyway. Way more than 2010

I've literally had The Tree of Life sitting on my shelf since the day the Blu-Ray came out and I still haven't seen it.  I really need to get around to that one.

7 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

There's a "grindhouse" version of Star Wars taken from an old print, complete with scratches, etc. out there. Talk about nostalgia. It's not my "go to" version version of Star Wars (that's Harmy's) but fun for a trip down memory lane.

I have this grindhouse version on a USB stick essentially always plugged into my plasma TV all the time. In beautiful 1080p, with far more detail than I expected, now this is my go-to version.

• 1 month later...

Christopher Nolan on Blade Runner: "I've watched it over a 100 times."

And he's talking about The Theatrical Cut, which he defines as the authoritative version.

Well I don't know about the Theatrical being the "authoritative" version, but I've never had a problem with it, and never quite understood the hate it gets. That's the version that ultimately made the film a classic. I don't see what the issue with it is (don't have a problem with The Final Cut either). And I frankly don't care that Scott and Harrison Ford were upset they had to do it.  Seemed OK to me.

The Theatrical and Final Cuts of the movie have plusses and minuses.

The two issues with the Theatrical edition of the film I have are the ones the director has:

1. The Narration sometimes feels slightly forced, and sometimes interfere with the atmosphere created in the Director's Cut and the Final Cut.

2. The "happy ending" added at request of the studio, using outtakes of helicopter footage from The Shining, is out of place tonally with the rest of the movie.

For me though, it's not hate in any way, but merely a preference for the director's original intention.

Also, my understanding is that the version of the movie that really helped make it a cult classic was the 1992 Director's Cut on DVD and LaserDisc.

The film's history is long and storied, so I might be drastically oversimplifying the history.

• 1 year later...

EDIT

Such visuals! Some shots being practically 3D.

What stood out this time. Rutger as Roy Batty, how much he plays him like an agile, very intelligent, strong toddler. Turning the hunt for Deckard into a game of hide and seek, with riddles! Untill finally coming to age in spectacular fashion. Rutgers performance is iconic!

If Deckard is a replicant, he's by far the most unlikable one. Shooting 2 women, both unarmed. And pretty much raping one. The question is if course, can they be considered violations at all. Something Blade Runner allows the audience to decide.

Whether Deckard is human or a Replicant is actually not that relevant to the narrative, imo 

Stunning stunning looking movie!

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Whether Deckard is human or a Replicant is actually not that relevant to the narrative, imo 

For 99% of the people, that only became a topic in 1992, when the so-called Director's Cut was released, a cut that made it more obvious. However, during the '80s, you really had to be a maniac to pick up the Deck-is-a-rep innuendos. 

54 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Which theatrical cut, Jerry?

The USA Cut? The International Cut? The Director's Cut? The Final Cut? All theses cuts have been released, theatrically.

The one that came out at the picture show.

We had the International Cut in Belgium, but maybe the Aussies had to be content with the Theatrical Cut, which has some graphic violence removed. Aussies! They so wanna be like Americans, they even had to copy the suburbs concept. 

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

We had the International Cut in Belgium, but maybe the Aussies had to be content with the Theatrical Cut, which has some graphic violence removed. Aussies! They so wanna be like Americans, they even had to copy the suburbs concept. 

Of all the versions out there, which is your personal favourite?

19 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Of all the versions out there, which is your personal favourite?

The Final Cut, although I wish that a) the line "I want more life, fucker" wasn't changed to "father", b) the shot of Deckard on the roof of the Bradbury before Roy confronts him wasn't shortened, and c) that the Spinner sounds weren't modified on the UHD Blu-ray

Just now, Stefancos said:

The Final Cut is really the only one I'm familiar with.

The FC is a very recent version. You never watched the DC before that? That's usually the version most people have seen. 

• 11 months later...