Bernard Herrmann Film Scores

JMan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really liked the Williams' and NY Philharmonics performance of Herrmann. On Dangerous Ground was a new piece to me and that sounded brilliant. All the selections besides Psycho were very good. I am sorry there was not a longer suite from Psycho which would have given a better picture of the whole score. There is always that Main Title and The Shower Scene and nothing else. There are other quite ingenous elements to the score.

I am sorry there was not a longer suite from Psycho which would have given a better picture of the whole score. There is always that Main Title and The Shower Scene and nothing else. There are other quite ingenous elements to the score.

The score is musically and psychologically brilliant... but honestly, I can't imagine a lot of the other music--though it's all perfect for the film--being played at a concert; it's all so quiet, restrained, and subtle. There's just something not really concert-like about it, unless Herrmann were to have, say, expanded the Main Title and the Murder music into a larger performance work.

Maybe it's just me. :?

I heard a radio edit of McNeely's recording, that had "Prelude", "Temptation", "Stairs", "The Murder", "Finale" and that worked perfectly. "The Stairs" going into "The Murder" worked surprisingly well, considering it was a backwards jump in the score - but then again it was like going from "The Stairs" to an extended version of "The Knife", so I guess it's not that surprising... :folder:

• 2 weeks later...