Youtube clips

KingPin

Randy Newman talking about the art of film scoring with a special mention of John (he calls him "Johnny") Williams (He thinks "Johnny" is cheating, cuz he's got special privileges, lol.) It's notable that Randy is one of the few composers who are uncomfortable with the modern film scoring process. He's very much old school.

P.S. your avatar picture: where is it from...? Very cool...!

--- I was also asked that question in this thread, lol:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21237

lol, the creator of this video specifically writes "Composer" under JW's name, and out of all the great pieces JW has composed throughout his career, two of them are Fiddler on the Roof and "Suo Gan." :lol:

I don't think it's very often that we see/hear The Empire Strikes Back End Titles live in concert.

Nice find, KingPin! That's actually a really good performance. Have you watched some of their other stuff on YouTube? I think these folks deserve a thread of their own.

:wizard:

Not too many views of YouTube yet so I thought I'd post.

Its from the "Hollywood in Vienna" concert. Its a harp feature, a mashup of sections from E.T. and Me/ Adventures of Earth/ and a harp cadenza. Doesn't sound like Williams directly arranged it himself (the harp voicings etc.), the playing is excellent none the less. Nice to listen to if you havent listened to anything E.T. in a while.

I don't think it's very often that we see/hear The Empire Strikes Back End Titles live in concert.

Nice find, KingPin! That's actually a really good performance. Have you watched some of their other stuff on YouTube? I think these folks deserve a thread of their own.

:wizard:

I did watch a lot of the Star Wars performances. Some of the people in costumes was a bit over the top, but the music was played superbly. I also like their renditions of Forest Battle and The Asteroid Field.

Haha, that ESB end credits in concert was awesome! Love the Vader stunt at the end. Is it just me or is the timpanist playing the wrong notes right at the end? Otherwise, great performance.

Here's a few clips of Bill Conti conducting several of his own scores and gets to talk a little about them. It's a real treat.

This one you will hear some very familiar tunes from our dear maestro:

For those who take part in the Caption Contest, you'll remember the Hitler video subtitle riff (didn't go over so well, but the winner—and only entrant—did a great job). Here's another version of it, through which a fellow Albert Brooks fan vents about his not getting a Best Supporting Actor nod for Drive:

- Uni

Williams is not married to Samantha Morton, Mikko, even though he did "score" her in Minority Report :)

His wife is Samantha Winslow

:blush:

Right you are Romão. My mistake. A total confusion of last name on my part. :lol:

Okay now I don't despise Lucas as much as I did yesterday.

Not too many views of YouTube yet so I thought I'd post.

Its from the "Hollywood in Vienna" concert. Its a harp feature, a mashup of sections from E.T. and Me/ Adventures of Earth/ and a harp cadenza. Doesn't sound like Williams directly arranged it himself (the harp voicings etc.), the playing is excellent none the less. Nice to listen to if you havent listened to anything E.T. in a while.

Thank you for linking this. An interesting arrangement which just brought a tear to my eye. John Williams is The Man.

Wow, this is one of the few orchestras I've watched in youtube that faithfully follow Elmer Bernstein's original concert suite rather than that of Erich Kunzel's more popular adaptation.

:lol: @ the melodica rendition of the Jurassic Park Theme. I think Johnny was a fool not to hire this soloist to come in to ruin those 20 seconds in the film. :lol:

How about this piece of awesomeness wrapped in a side of fantastic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jsQHSXGRFE&feature=plcp&context=C3a47a28UDOEgsToPDskIa84T-kMpMddlvz9Rqdn0H

I'll tell you the problem with the musical power you're using here: it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done, and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you, you've patented it, and packaged it, you've slapped it on , and now you're showing it off.

Loi

I think everything is better after it's been covered in heavy metal style. I think this is going on the iPod.

Four cues from "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman" (William Olvis):

Wow, now there's a show I haven't seen or thought about in a long time. I had forgotten how classically oriented the music was. Good post to share.

Dunno if the first part or two has been posted before, but part 3 of "What's in Spock's Scanner" has been put up. Glorious and hilarious. All three parts can be found here:

http://trekmovie.com/2012/02/10/viral-video-whats-in-spocks-scanner-part-3/

• 2 weeks later...

Some lovely film music written by an aspiring and very promising young Italian film (and choral) music composer and my good friend Michele Josia. I was lucky enough to collaborate (by playing timpani) in recording of this theme - main title from The River of the Last Valley.

The Golden State Pops Orchestra (San Pedro, CA) performing the Suite from Independence Day:

And (despite the video title) Exsultate Justi from Empire of the Sun: