Youtube clips

KingPin

From experience, it's obvious that high school concert bands aren't exactly the place to go to hear film music played with quality. We've all had our eye-rolling moments at the butchered arrangements of classic JW themes or even Zimmer's POTC stuff.

But I was recently pointed to this video, which shows a rather impressive performance of a suite of Goldsmith's The Wind and the Lion. It's not pitch perfect, but this is incredible for high school students. A performance that'd likely make Goldsmith proud!

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure how many here watched the Super Power Beat Down episodes. There's some that are actually quite good, a few mehs but over all they're not bad. They recently did a new one ... the White Ranger (yes from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers) vs Scorpion and I gotta say it's bad ass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap8r3AA0PIk

I'm pretty sure it was Jason David Frank in the White Ranger suit the entire time. His voice, his fighting style, etc... no one can mimic JDF's fighting style.

Edit: Fight starts at 4:09 into the clip if you wanna skip forward to that point.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting talk that I attended a while back in NYC, with the Coens, Carter Burwell, Alec Baldwin, and a neuroscientist discussing film music and its effects on the audience. Lengthy but probably worth it if you're on this forum....

• 2 weeks later...

Alec Baldwin is a pretty annoying moderator, but very interesting discussion nonetheless! Those "neurocinematic" studies sound interesting, I had never really thought about the degree to which people's brains might synchronize while experiencing a film or a piece of music.

Interesting talk that I attended a while back in NYC, with the Coens, Carter Burwell, Alec Baldwin, and a neuroscientist discussing film music and its effects on the audience. Lengthy but probably worth it if you're on this forum....

That was quite a treat. Quite unsurprisingly, they all agree that Morricone is the most interesting composer.