• Announcements

• Jay

PLEASE DONATE to JWFAN if you can!   08/16/16

Hello JWFan members,   The team behind JWFan needs your help!   We need annual donations to keep our community running   This is for the domain name, IPBoard license, and server space.   We hope you can help use with a donation of any size.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage. Thank you!   The Administration team
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JMan

Trumpet Concerto

23 posts in this topic

Just purchased the london symph recording with Arturo Sandoval offline. Anyone have any comments about this piece?

Listening to Williams concertos is like watching some weird independant film.

K.M.

Yes - it needed Sandoval to carry it off - and if you know his style, you'll know what I mean......

Good question. :) At the time of its release I had difficulty buying it (due to no visa card) and I was hoping to see this release in stores.

It's a nice piece (I would say that, though since I am a trumpeter). I found it more accessible than the cello concerto. That said, I have only heard it with the piano reduction and not the orchestra. I have avoided the recording because I don't want to hear Arturo Sandoval do classical.

I think it's a great piece of music, although I do enjoy his other concerti better.

It's a great piece, one of the concert works to which I return most often. I wish those numbskulls at Sony would get their acts together and issue the three brass concertos (trumpet, horn & tuba) on a single program -- while Williams is still in good enough health that he's able to conduct.

It would be nice is Sony came out with ANY new recordings with Williams conducting his own music.

"WHO'S KASKA, TELL ME!"

Anyone know what movie that is from? :mrgreen:

The trumpet concerto is a wonderful piece, and so is the Essay for Strings. The recording and production isn't great, though, and I don't care for Sandoval's rendition of the piece. Now, if it had been Michael Sachs or Tim Morrison...

Kevin Kaska's pieces are nice, but quite forgettable.

How can you define Kaska's Harp Concerto as forgettable?

Because I find it very forgettable... It is well crafted, but not sufficiently lyrical (and it really aims to be a lyrical concerto). To be diplomatic, Kaska is a talented but somewhat "unfinished" composer, and not quite ready to "share the bill" with John Williams... His music is completely obliterated by the luminous company...

I bought the score for the trumpet concerto with a piano reduction, but I want the orchestra parts!!! Where can I get the full score and parts???

Contact Hal Leonard. They have it available for rental only. VERY expensive, unfortunately...

Just a heads-up that you can still order the Trumpet Concerto CD from the Denouement Records website (which hasn't been updated in a long while). I'd not postpone it any longer though, as Amazon lists it as discontinued. I've ordered it two or three weeks ago and it arrived very quickly (with the Ann Hobson Pilot CD as a bonus by the way, which also comes very recommended; that one also includes a recording of the harp piece from Angela's Ashes).

As Tim said, the Essay for Strings alone is already well worth the price.

Speaking as a trumpet player, I love Sandoval as a jazzer and as a latin trumpet player. Unfortunately, he plays "classical" works the same way he plays jazz/latin and it just doesn't work for me.

But, I want the recording anyways.

I would have loved it if Maurice Murphy was the soloist on the CD given his friendship with JW.