Trumpet Concerto

JMan

That's right. I only have the 2002/Sandoval recording, and am perfectly pleased with that. There are very few scores or musical works in general where I need multiple interpretations, unless said interpretation is a radical departure ("re-mixes", "re-conceptualizations" etc.).

There is something on Sandoval's intonation that always sounded a little off for me. The more recent recordings sound like what I would expect from a Williams trumpet concerto. Since I'm no musician, I really can't explain it any other way.

Possible variations in intonation don't bother me much. I think it sounds absolutely fine. Sandoval is a master trumpeter, after all, and I've never thought about it not having the Williams trademarks.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 years later...

Naxos have made a new recording of JW's Trumpet Concerto, again the Detroit Symphony with Hunter Eberly as the soloist. Hopefully this might mean they are restarting the series and maybe will get to his Viola Concerto...

More info: https://www.naxos.com/CatalogueDetail/?id=9.70907

Buy it: https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9521964--john-williams-trumpet-concerto

Yes, it's digital only, but it's lossless download to keep forever so I'm good with that!

It’s really cool that more recordings of the piece are being produced, but honestly I couldn’t be happier with the Hooten plays Williams recording. Especially that Williams himself is conducting.

I’m very glad that Tom pushed for it and raised money to make this happen.

16 minutes ago, ricsim88 said:

It’s really cool that more recordings of the piece are being produced, but honestly I couldn’t be happier with the Hooten plays Williams recording. Especially that Williams himself is conducting.

I’m very glad that Tom pushed for it and raised money to make this happen.

Is there an available recording of it?

1 hour ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Naxos have made a new recording of JW's Trumpet Concerto, again the Detroit Symphony with Hunter Eberly as the soloist. Hopefully this might mean they are restarting the series and maybe will get to his Viola Concerto...

Buy it: https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/9521964--john-williams-trumpet-concerto

Yes, it's digital only, but it's lossless download to keep forever so I'm good with that!

This was recorded some six years ago, and the recorded performance had some bad mistakes on it, being done live and all (as with all the releases on this project). Unless they had some post concert sessions to fix some problems, this is hardly the most inspired performance of the piece, live or otherwise.

There are also recordings still pending release of both the Flute and Obor concertos.

I will never understand why Naxos recorded all the concerti that were already available in other recordings first, before they perhaps, maybe start with the two concerti without any official recording, the viola and the clarinet.

56 minutes ago, Gurkensalat said:

I will never understand why Naxos recorded all the concerti that were already available in other recordings first, before they perhaps, maybe start with the two concerti without any official recording, the viola and the clarinet.

I'm sure it's not just a decision on Naxos part, but also what Slatkin wanted most to record (or record again). The first concerto was the Horn, back then without a commercial release available, and was recorded prior to Slatkin becoming the DSO music director. It was part of a recorded for broadcast concert with him as guest conductor, during the period the orchestra was still deciding on his next director. That one become the first release on what was supposed to be a full cycle of Williams Concerti with the DSO under Slatkin during his tenure, which has since come to an end.

3 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

@Junion

10 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I'm sure it's not just a decision on Naxos part, but also what Slatkin wanted most to record (or record again). The first concerto was the Horn, back then without a commercial release available, and was recorded prior to Slatkin becoming the DSO music director. It was part of a recorded for broadcast concert with him as guest conductor, during the period the orchestra was still deciding on his next director. That one become the first release on what was supposed to be a full cycle of Williams Concerti with the DSO under Slatkin during his tenure, which has since come to an end.

Yes, they started with promise by recording the horn concerto which did not have a catalogue recording. But then only the already know concerti. I still hope that they may finish the cycle one day.