What DVD Should I Buy First?

Ross

what dvd should I buy  

22 members have voted

1. 1.

• Harry Potter and the Philospher's Stone
    • Star Wars Episode I -- The Phantom Menace
    • Artificial Intelligence
    • Superman (never been a huge fan of this one)

To this day. I have yet to own a Williams film in DVD. What should I begin with?

I trust in your opinion, although I won't have time to go to the mall until next Friday May 30th

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AI is definately the best film on that list.

Morn - Who doesn't like Superman that much either, however is does have an isolated score!!!! :)

Hmmm . . . .

I'm not so sure about Phantom Menace. After all, they are going to release an improved version within 3 years.

Maybe I should just wait for that one to come out and then get the whole new trilogy at the same time. I'll stick to my VHS.

Close Encounters without a doubt Ross....its a wonderful 2DVD set.

The print is superb...and has deleted scenes, documentarys etc :(

There are some long documentarys about the making, and interviews.

Ayahuasca - Who purchased it about a month ago.

P.S : Its come down in price quite recently too. Good bargain. I got it for about $8

Superman!!!!!! Definitely. Perhaps I'm biased, since it's my favorite film of all time, but nevertheless, it's a damn fine film with a damn fine score.

PLUS it has some of the best behind the scene's docu's I've seen on a DVD.

PLUS the quality of the picture and the sound is stunning, when compared to it's VHS sibling.

The others are great, too, specifically AI, but I just gotta recommend Supes. I'd be erased from existance if I didn't.

To me, Superman - The Movie is the best film available on DVD. That's my pick. Plus, as a Williams fan, the score has never sounded better, particularly on the isolated 5.0 music channel. It's a pity that it has all the edits to correspond to the movie. :(

Neil

I personally think HP is a great DVD to own. I bought the music before I saw the movie and I really thought the music went well with the movie. It wasn't like "background" music, you could really hear it and it played a big role.

I voted for Harry Potter 'cause it's so cool.

BUT - A.I. has an interview with Williams and that's cool,

Superman has an isolated score.

and Episode I has a featurette including footage of the scoring session and interviews with Johnny and Ewok.

So I guess I should've voted for Episode I, but Harry Potter is a better movie, so go for that one!

Dan - who can't make up his damn mind.

:( "The Day The Earth Fell Silent" from "The Beyondness Of Things" (Barry)

Yes, of course! I was going to mention that one, but didn't think it was one of your options.

That's the one you should get.

Dan - whose never seen CE3K!! :jump::jump::jump:

:music: "Danny's Blues" from The Legend Of 1900 (Morricone) I like the title. he he he he he

Superman - haven't seen the movie, will someday, but don't expect to like it. The score has some of Williams' very best cues (like Fortress of Solitude), but as a whole I find it overrated

A.I. - haven't seen it. Score is good.

TPM - I think the film is underrated, though not great. Very good extras (I'm still mad that the cool rendition of DOTF that's heard in the Williams bit of the documentary isn't heard on the CD or in the film). Score is excellent.

Harry Potter atPS - Very good movie. Outstanding score by Williams. This would be my pick.

I only have the latter two (got Potter just today), will probably get Superman for the iso score someday.

Marian - who also has and treasures the CE3K DVD.

:music: Attack of the Clones (John Williams)

you know,

i'm not sure why so many people dislike the potter movie. i really think they did a fantastic job with it

Marian -- HOW DID YOU GET IT?!?!?!  I'm jealous.y

Uhm...I ordered it. :music: Isn't it out in the US yet? It's been out in Europe for about two weeks or so. But then, I got my copy from a Canadian store, although it isn't officially out in Canada until next week... :roll:

Marian -- HOW DID YOU GET IT?!?!?!  I'm jealous.y

Uhm...I ordered it. :music: Isn't it out in the US yet? It's been out in Europe for about two weeks or so. But then, I got my copy from a Canadian store, although it isn't officially out in Canada until next week... :roll:

It comes out on Tuesday. Consider yourself lucky to have that wonderful piece of technology. :)

~Harry

Lucky, Marian is. Very lucky.

Dan- emulating a distant relative of the Green Goblin

:music: "Betrayed" from The Count Of Monte Cristo (Shearmur)

Think of another famous "green goblin".

Dan - hoping that will clue him in

:music: "Chateau D'If" from The Count Of Monte Cristo (Shearmur)

Therefore, I'm sure you can make the connection, no?

Dan - wondering if Harry is capable of such a thing

:music: "Escape from the Island" from The Count Of Monte Cristo (Shearmur)

This is easy, get Superman first.

Then get Harry Potter.

Then get TPM.

Don't waste a dime on A.I. it is drek beyond drek.

Superman would probably be the best value, since you get the isolated score, albeit cut to the movie's final edit and with several bits dialed out or clumsily chopped off. I really didn't care for the fact that the music editor for the DVD decided to recreate the same music edits as heard in the theatrical version (although there are some minor bits and pieces restored). Because the film was such under a tight deadline for the Christmas '78 release, you could sense how rushed the final product was. There didn't seem to be much time to do clean music edits for the condensed or cut scenes, resulting in either total removal of cues or cues that were chopped up. Yet Williams cites the film as being one of his favorite experiences.

I voted for Harry Potter, probably because it is the DVD I'm most eager to buy at the moment. I have A.I. and TPM already. I'm not a huge Supes fan. It's a fine film, I just have never been that big of a fan in regards to the character or comic books. My suggestion would be to buy the movie you like the most out of the four.

SUPERMAN, of course!

Why should there be any doubt in your mind?

It's a fantastic movie, great casting, great effects, even if they seem dated by today's standards, but hell, it was the 70's. I admit Margot Kidder doesn't necessarily make the best Lois Lane (Flying Sequence vocals, I'm lookin' at you!), but what's even greater is the score, one of Williams' absolute finest from his classic era (Jaws to E.T.), and his most thematically rich score until Return of the Jedi and Hook.

The other movies just can't compare.

"Drek" -- a word often used by Joe.

Sadly, he was not one of those who found A.I. deeply moving and intriguing. Most people don't realize that's a parable with dramatic elements. Whatever.

A.I. features one of Johnny's best scores and it has a great interview as well as some neat pics of Johnny on the set with Steven and Ken Wannberg

But get Close Encounters first! That's a great choice!!

Dan - who will watch Presumed Innocent in a few

Sadly, he was not one of those who found A.I. deeply moving and intriguing. Most people don't realize that's a parable with dramatic elements. Whatever.

Just like 2001.

Morn - Who loves Kubrick

Gee, thanks! :) The one time I get so much response

Anyway, I don't like CE3K as a movie. I don't know why, but there's something there that gets me really bored 30 mins. into the movie. :confused:

I really don't know what to buy. Here's my dilemma dissected: :baaa:

A.I. I love the movie. I'll own it eventually whether I buy it now or not.

Harry Potter - It's hype now. Everywhere I turn I see posters of that DVD. If I don't buy it, I won't stop thinking about it.

The Phantom Menace - I'm in a total Star Wars craze now. It's beena week since I saw AOTC and I keep listening to the scores, reading books about it . . . It just feels right to own it now.

ROSS - confused :?

Jason, you would definitely love the Episode I DVD. Awesome footage and a great interview. Not to mention, the other SF are really awesome.

Dan - who watches the "Movie Music" featurette from time to time

Well, I'm really interested in seeing the Greedo vs. Jake Lloyd scene.

Heck, I wanna see Jake Lloyd doing something wrong and still portraying his golly-i'm-cute face. :devil:

But then again, maybe I should just rent it, see the scene, then wait for the whole trilogy to come out. :?:

-ROSS, who stole the Jake Lloyd joke from the Ep. I abridge script, which was hilarious

:( 1984 by Rick Wakeman: Robot Man

But then again, maybe I should just rent it, see the scene, then wait for the whole trilogy to come out. :?:  

-ROSS

Not a bad idea, Ross.

Dan - who, even though he would've thought of it, would've bought the DVD anyways, for he is an obsessive collector