Batman sequel title announced AND Joker

QMM

ComingSoon.net/SuperheroHype.com has confirmed that the next feature film installment of "Batman" will be called The Dark Knight. It will be directed by Christopher Nolan and Heath Ledger will play the role of The Joker. We'll have the official release tomorrow, so stay tuned.

Christian Bale will reprise his role of Bruce Wayne/Batman in the follow-up to Batman Begins, which earned $371.9 million at the worldwide box office in 2005.

Link

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Ledger is official then? I always wanted the sequel to be called Batman Rises, but I like this title.

I heard a while ago that it may be called "Batman Strikes" and I grew to like that name . . . ah well, Dark Knight is fine. Ledger as Joker . . . that's a bit of a wait-and-see.

"Batman Begins" was an awful silly title. What does he begin to do? The movie "Batman" begins? A machine called "Batman"? No sens at all.

"Batman: The Dark Knight" / "The Dark Knight sounds good enough.

"Batman Strikes"? No. Like the first title, there's something missing, a content. Why "strike"? Strike at crime? I didn't feel that needed to be clarified. Strikes again? back? why? It sounds as if he were launching an offensive, starting a war (on crime, okay, I know).

So, er, why are they doing a Batman film about the Joker... Burton did that.

BurgaFlippinMan already said it, but Nolan's re-ignition of the franchise is something uniquely his. He is poised to far surpass anything that Burton or Schumacher has accomplished. He made a better movie than all of their movies, and now he has an opportunity to continue a franchise that is truly worthy of continuing.

Ted

This won't be a Joker film. It will be a Batman film with the Joker in it.

"Batman Begins" was an awful silly title. What does he begin to do? The movie "Batman" begins? A machine called "Batman"? No sens at all.

It's quite simple.

Batman Begins by respecting the titling trend from the previous franchise (Returns, Forever, and Robin). Then, as a young man Batman Begins his quest (chronologically a prequel to that franchise), except Batman Begins without any unwanted continuity from said franchise. Also, Batman Begins being a respectable icon again! This is because Batman Begins to be portrayed as a realistic human with a full character arc (Batman Begins as a human first, then logically embodies the superhero facade).

It's pretty clear the title is meant to be respectful yet critical of the previous franchise, and calling the next film The Dark Knight shows Nolan intends to take it in a different direction, now that it has "begun".

This won't be a Joker film. It will be a Batman film with the Joker in it.

Also, the Joker was set up as the next villain at the end of Begins.

Looking forward to this in a couple of years!

BTW, just in case anyone wants to know, I got my FIRST TEACHING JOB! Band/Jazz/Chorus at Ellington HS in Ellington CT.

It's quite simple.

Batman Begins by respecting the titling trend from the previous franchise (Returns, Forever, and Robin). Then, as a young man Batman Begins his quest (chronologically a prequel to that franchise), except Batman Begins without any unwanted continuity from said franchise. Also, Batman Begins being a respectable icon again! This is because Batman Begins to be portrayed as a realistic human with a full character arc (Batman Begins as a human first, then logically embodies the superhero facade).

It's pretty clear the title is meant to be respectful yet critical of the previous franchise, and calling the next film The Dark Knight shows Nolan intends to take it in a different direction, now that it has "begun".

Thanks, Bowie-- but, still, as a title, "X begins" sounds pretty ridiculous, I think.

"Batman: The Beginning" would have made more sense-- same interpretation (your message), but something that makes sense on its own.

obbatsbgns0001.gif

He is poised to far surpass anything that Burton or Schumacher has accomplished. He made a better movie than all of their movies, and now he has an opportunity to continue a franchise that is truly worthy of continuing.  

That's debatable, I much prefer both Burton's Batman films to Batman Begins, and it's not like it's hard to surpass the crappy Schumacher ones. And both Batman and Batman Returns have way better music than Batman Begins which to me is very important. Anyway IMO the best Batman film is still Mask of the Phantasm.

Film first. Then music. Burton's films allowed Elfman much more opportunity for the grandly symphonic score he wrote. I don't hold Burton's films in as high of a regard as Nolan's stylistically, but you can cartainly argue that Burton's films are more evocative to your tastes. However, where Batman Begins runs far ahead of Burton's films are with story and character. And I find his style highly complimentary of characters and story, including the music; though Howard's portion was much more in tune with the emotions of the film than Zimmer's bland action writing.

Ted

I'm willing to give him a shot, he's a good actor when he gets the right roles. The Joker could go either way for him. Nolan did such a fantastic job with the first one, casting wise, and did terrifically with Memento and Insomnia, that I trust his judgment on this one.

Tim

I have faith in Nolan. If he picked Ledger, there's a reason for it. Look at the cast they assembled for the first one. They made one mistake (Holmes) and they admitted to it, rectified it, and moved on. I don't think they'd make the same mistake twice. Ledger must've had a hell of an audition.

Physically, Ledger looks more the part than we might think at first glance. I'm a huge Batman fan, Batman Begins was the first live action Batman movie that I loved, so I am more than confident for the sequel.

Ledger was definately not my first (or third) choice, but I have faith in Nolan's decision.

Rabbit--who also likes Burton's Batman, especially Returns.

I am cold to any seuquel to Batman Begins,which I i not really enjoy.

What that guy said. I don't recognize that avatar. :thumbup:

It was pretty good for a superhero movie, but that's a real low standard in my book.

IMHO, Batman Begins was a great movie, no matter the genre. It was beautifully paced, had a great photography, a fantastic cast and trully made justice to what is, to me, the most fascinating superhero of them all.

I am cold to any seuquel to Batman Begins,which I i not really enjoy.

What that guy said. I don't recognize that avatar. :thumbup:

It was pretty good for a superhero movie, but that's a real low standard in my book.

The score in this case has a lot to do with it.How can a Superhero movie be good with a lame score....

K.M.

Can someone please clarify specifically which scenes in the movie that Howard scored? As I'm more familiar with Zimmer's style, his scenes are easier for me to pick out.

On the whole, I thought Batman Begins offered a mature movie and score. That main "alternating double sixteenths" ostinato is brilliant.

Another rumor going around from the same people as the first one is that the Penguin may show up in it and Philip Seymour Hoffman has reportedly been asked to play him

As for the score, I'm pretty sure all the irritating, generic synth beats were Zimmer and the pieces of music that closest resembled theme or music were probably Howard.

The score in this case has a lot to do with it.How can a Superhero movie be good with a lame score....

That was my point exactly, to me for a movie to be good it needs good music, and Burton's Batman and Batman Returns have Batman Begins beaten in that area by a lot. Of course music wasn't the only problem with Batman Begins but it was a very important problem.

Batman Begins is not a "superhero" movie; it's much better than that. If that's what you want, go see the Supermans, the Spidermans, and Burton's Batmans. Regarding music, read my post above. The material honestly didn't call for loud, bombastic music save for a few scenarios.

Ted

I wonder how the music will be in this next sequel...

Superhero or not, it deserves a score better then synth beats and lack of themes. It doesn't n eed to be like Burton's, but it needs to have actual music with a theme or two.

The film does have themes. How familiar are you with the score, both on CD and in the film?

Ted

When I think of themes I generally think of more than two or three repetitive synth beats. :)

There may be themes, but they're not very good.

I don't think a film like this needed a leit-motif approach. It needed a melancholy yet intimate score, and I think Zimmer and JNH provided that. I swear I remember hearing something about a big theme they wrote for the film that was cut out at the request of the director.