Best Rambo Score?

Best Rambo Score from Jerry  

17 members have voted

1. 1.

• First Blood
    • Rambo: First Blood Part II
    • Rambo III

Tonight, I watched The Omen for the first time and decided I wanted to watch something a little lighter. So I surfed around and found First Blood on Spike. Since I analyzed Jerry's work in The Omen, I continued in analysis mode with First Blood. At first, I used to like Rambo: First Blood Part II the best, but these days...First Blood is giving it a run for its money.

FBII is cool because it's one of the best action scores out there. If you want 80s action, this is the score for it. It's got the Vietnam theme on a synth only found in the 80s, it's got the "Rambo synth" that sounds like the 80s, plus it's an epic piece of music.

FB, on the other hand, is a lot deeper than just action. It gives more of a psycho-sonic profile of John J. Rambo and I think it's more experimental than any of the other scores. Less is more. But "Hanging On", "First Blood", and "Mountain Hunt" are some solid tracks.

Rambo III is the least impressive score of the trilogy. While it directly recycles cues from FBII, it still has quite a bit of new music. My favorite track being "Night Fight." For the first part of it, there's just a nice energy to it that is pretty "Rambo." For the most part, I consider Rambo III to be full of "talking" cues--which for a Rambo score is about as out-of-place as dialogue. Plus the "Rambo synth" is barely used. Boo!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rambo III is the least impressive score of the trilogy.  While it directly recycles cues from FBII,

At no point in this score is any music directly recycled from First Blood Part II.

For the most part, I consider Rambo III to be full of "talking" cues--which for a Rambo score is about as out-of-place as dialogue.

The music is surprisingly delicate and melodic for a film starring Stallone wearing a jog strap.

Plus the "Rambo synth" is barely used. Boo!

It's used in the score a lot actually, have you even listened to this CD?

#2, because no matter what the other scores are capable of, as far as action scores go, this is second to none other than perhaps Total Recall. The third score might be close to it, but the orchestral performance nearly ruins it.

First Blood Part I was a milestone in action music, Part II was the perfection of action music, Rambo III gave us more of what we wanted.

But Part II reigns supreme.

As far as the movies go I enjoy First Blood more than the later two films and this also applies to the music as well. The way I see it the character of John Rambo in films 2 and 3 is completely different. A totally different person just with the same name.

In First Blood John Rambo is a very trouble veteran whose return to civilian life is interrupted by a small town cop who takes an automatic dislike to him, completely unlike the near invincible, super warrior in the other two films who also happens to be at peace with himself (which is a complete contradiction of the character)!

As far as the movies go I enjoy First Blood more than the later two films and this also applies to the music as well. The way I see it the character of John Rambo in films 2 and 3 is completely different. A totally different person just with the same name.

In First Blood John Rambo is a very trouble veteran whose return to civilian life is interrupted by a small town cop who takes an automatic dislike to him, completely unlike the near invincible, super warrior in the other two films who also happens to be at peace with himself (which is a complete contradiction of the character)!

I agree, and Jerry's introverted score fits the character like a jock strap. I like the last two films, but there's something a bit more personal and gritty about the first film, despite its occasional lapses in believability and logic.

I agree, and Jerry's introverted score fits the character like a jock strap. I like the last two films, but there's something a bit more personal and gritty about the first film, despite its occasional lapses in believability and logic.

That is because in the first movie he is a person with flaws like anyone. In the next two films he is not. But musically you cant beat FB and R:FB2.

First Blood definitely.

I think Rambo II is overrated, perhaps it has something to do with nostalgia on your part. The synths are way too obtrusive (in the cheesy way, not in the blending of orchestra and synth etc.). That said, it's a solid action score, I have the CD and I like it much.

But the quintessential action cue still has to be Night Flight. Great track!

I have not heard much of these scores, nor have I seen the films. If I were to buy one, which one would you suggest I buy?

Ted, surfing the iTunes music store

Basil Poledoris' stuff in Hot Shots, Part Deux!

Anyway Rambo II wins, I mean it's got PEACE IN OUR LIFE, the most incredible motion-picture song in history :-P