The absolute truth: Who's Better?

Josh500

Who's the no. 1 film composer???  

51 members have voted

1. 1.

• John Williams
    • Jerry Goldsmith
    • Others (don't say Hans Zimmer!)

In regard to the recent thread, how many here REALLY think JG is better JW? I wanna know the truth. As for me, give me JW any time, any day! JG was great, one of the best, but there's only place for one at the top -- JW!!!

:P

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Williams, of course, and by a small infinity.

Followed, in no particular order, by: Herrmann, Goldsmith, Waxman, Rozsa, Korngold, North, Steiner, Tiomkin, Corigliano (for the few scores he has offered)...

I think Goldsmith has composed some atonishingly good scores - easily comparable to William's best - but Williams has the consistency and the knack of knowing just where your heart-strings are at the right time......

Scientifically speaking, Goldsmith was probably better. But this is art, not science, so who is 'better' is totally irrelevant. It's all subjective- which artist speaks to a person more. For me it's JW by a small, but unwavering, margin.

Morlock, what do you mean by 'scientifically'?

Goldsmith wasn't more sophisticated in terms of compositional craft and technique, if that is what you are referring to. Other than that, though, I agree with your assessment!

The "absolute truth" is that all things are illusory by nature, a result of cause and effect. Nothing is ever real, only a transient, passing illusion which appears to the consciousness that percieves it.

Having said that..in the realm of perception as it is now, John Williams is the best composer that ever lived. His music surpasses anyone else, by a huge margin. He is a true genius, one of the most brilliant men who ever walked the earth.

42!

Oh, wait, it's the umpteenth Williams vs. Goldsmith thread. Here's the usual answer:

They each have their own strengths and are both top composers. Their body of work is hard to compare. Williams has scored a lot of iconic films (with iconic scores), but while Goldsmith's output is pretty much consistently excellent, his work is not as well-known, as the films he scored often weren't as scucesful as Williams' assignments (and that's tough competetion, going against Jaws, Star Wars, Raiders and other major hits).

I'm calling it a draw.

Carry on.

The "absolute truth" is that all things are illusory by nature, a result of cause and effect. Nothing is ever real, only a transient, passing illusion which appears to the consciousness that percieves it.

Thank you for the Philosophy 101 nugget. That sounds like a line from the Matrix films.

Ted

I love them both.

Honestly, though, I think John Williams could have scored all of Goldsmith's films competently and, many times, probably better even in the same style if requested by the director. I can't say that about Goldsmith taking on Williams' assignments.

Though, again, Goldsmith is tops.

Badelt's Time Machine score actually isn't that bad. the action music is beyond terrible, but everything else is surprisingly good.

Ted

Ok, no need to create threads like this ever again. Now who is the best film composer ever besides John Williams? That would be much more interesting.

Ok, no need to create threads like this ever again. Now who is the best film composer ever besides John Williams? That would be much more interesting.

That's a trick question: the answer is John Williams.

Ted

Thank you for the Philosophy 101 nugget. That sounds like a line from the Matrix films.

Ted

Actually, teddy, absolute truth is real, it's not just something that is breezed over in a philosophy course, so take your cheeky little remark, and shove it up your fuckin ass.

Actually, teddy, absolute truth is real, it's not just something that is breezed over in a philosophy course, so take your cheeky little remark, and shove it up your fuckin ass.

Now thát sounds like a line from the Matrix films.

Ted

Follow the rules, champ. Keep your cheeky little remarks curse-free, please, especially when addressing a fellow member. I look forward to reading more of your very matter-of-fact claims about absolute truth also; you seem to know what you're talking about. I've always wanted someone to be able to sum up the absolute truth for me in a brief statement or two. I look forward to hearing more, dear AI.

Ted

My poll votes are usually always for the underdog, no matter what I think. I like to represent the 3-5 percent sampling error.

My poll votes are usually always for the underdog, no matter what I think. I like to represent the 3-5 percent sampling error.

There is definantly something wrong with that philosophy.

on a JW fan forum?

I agree and it is pretty pointless if you ask me and it obvious to know the answer who will the poll ....John Williams will win it.

:roll:

Actually every thinking person KNOWS John Williams is the best. What I wanted to find out was simply how many thinking persons are here?

LOL

Jerry Goldsmith.

Actually every thinking person KNOWS John Williams is the best.

Comments like this actually force images of reclusive guys with a not-too-pleasant outward appearance dancing naked while listening to 'Dobby the House Elf' into my brain.

Actually every thinking person KNOWS John Williams is the best.

Comments like this actually force images of reclusive guys with a not-too-pleasant outward appearance dancing naked while listening to 'Dobby the House Elf' into my brain.

Really, I had no idea! But tell us more about yourself! LOL

These Goldsmith vs. Williams threads are getting very annoying....

:thumbup:

sorta like your signature photo's.

sorry I couldn't resist.

Bernard Herrmann, whether John Williams is an option or not.

Agreed and I'm pretty sure Williams feels the same way.

Nah Williams is just toying with us. Behind that humble public figure is an arrogant sob who knows he's the man. :thumbup: