John Williams Best Solo Percussion's Moments?

Damo

What is John Williams Best Solo Percussion's Moments that you have heard?

The best ones i have heard Zam The Assassin And The Chase Through Coruscant from AOTC and the Water! Cliff Confrontation at the bridge from TOD. Some solo percussions in Memoirs Of A Geisha are pretty good as well.

What do you think?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Tusken Raider music from ANH. Some of the most brilliantly original percussion writing I've heard to date. Nearly impossible to transcribe, too.

I, too, find the Coruscant chase music enjoyable, but the percussion parts are relatively simple and quite repetitive. I prefer the chess match cue from HP:SS. The blaring trombones and chaotic xylophone part work incredibly well. I get a kick out of hearing that track.

I find "Concerto for Cello and Orchestra" to be rather dull, all in all, but the random outbursts from the concert tom-toms in the first movement are great.

The Lost World has many great percussion moments.

Yeah but it not solo except for the Timpiani solo for The Lost Wold Theme.

Buckbeak's Flight?

Yeah I really like the timpiani solo at the begining for Buckbeak's Flight. I wish John Williams do more of those kind of those timpiani moment.

Yes, my favorite are rescuing sarah and the raptors appear

I quite find The Raptors Appear a bit scary. I want to have the complete score for this.

The opening measures of "Buckbeak's Flight" are certainly a startling way to begin a cue, but there's nothing incredibly brilliant about them, IMO. Not in the way that "Attack of the Sandpeople" is brilliant. I find the similar percussion in "The Whomping Willow" to be more effective. (By the way, magical_me, the drums you hear with the timpani are concert tom-toms. Smaller than both taiko drums and timpani, but they pack a sonic wallop. The timpani account for the boomier, lower sounds in that passage; the tom-toms account for the higher-pitched rhythms with more definite attacks.)

Ah, how could I forget! The snare drum part to "March from 1941" has got to be one of the most enjoyable snare parts for a march. The syncopated accents give a different feel to the piece than you'd expect from a march, and there are a couple of really short-'n-sweet solos. Then there's the fortississississississississimo bass drum hit (or cannon blast) that for some reason is WAY too quiet in the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration recording...but that's a whole other story. ;)

The drum solo in Zam The Assassin And The Chase Through Coruscant from AOTC are Tom-tom right?

I like this moment in WotW - in the Intersection Scene when the tension raises and the music suddenly stops. This is where drums come. It sounds so cool.

You mean after the synth vocal choir or whatever stops playing and that Timpiani comes in from around 3:10 minute on OST?

You mean after the synth vocal choir or whatever stops playing and that Timpiani comes in from around  3:10  minute on OST?

I think he does, that part is SICK!

My fave Williams percussion moment is the one heard in Star Wars: ANH. The one that builds slowly and ends loudly just before Luke lines up the decisive shot into the Death Star. Shame about the crackles though.

You mean after the synth vocal choir or whatever stops playing and that Timpiani comes in from around 3:10 minute on OST?

Yes, I do.

I think he does, that part is SICK!

Sick or not, it sounds cool to me :wave:

My fave Williams percussion moment is the one heard in Star Wars: ANH. The one that builds slowly and ends loudly just before Luke lines up the decisive shot into the Death Star. Shame about the crackles though.

Oohhhh we have a winner! :wave:

The drum solo in Zam The Assassin And The Chase Through Coruscant from AOTC are Tom-tom right?

Close, but no cigar. Those are called roto-toms. Unlike regular toms, they have no shell at all--just a drumhead mounted on a rim. Instead of tuning the drum by turning lugs with a key, you simply rotate the rim. They can produce a surprisingly wide range of pitches and have slightly more precise tone definition than regular tom-toms. If you watch the music video on the AOTC DVD, you'll briefly see these being played.

Oohhhh we have a winner! 8O

I always thought that was tracked in from Holst's The Planets.

Ted

Agreed also I'm not sure if these to count but the beginning of Invading Elliot's House and towards the end of A Prayer for Peace right after the brief pause.

The percussion that opens "Revenge of the Sith." That's when I thought the score was going to be something special. Five minutes later, I was proven wrong.

Agreed also I'm not sure if these to count but the beginning of Invading Elliot's House and towards the end of A Prayer for Peace right after the brief pause.

There are no percussion instruments in "A Prayer for Peace."