John Towner Touch and more early Williams on cd

Miguel Andrade

This was just released:

http://www.freshsoundrecords.com/record_po...%2Fshipping.php

Includes Williams first solo album, John Towner touc, plus other late 50's albuns (Wolrd on a String, Johnny Desmond Swings) and excerpts from Russ Garcia's Modern Jazz Gallery.

Sound restoration is great.

I don't think that's the proper order page. It works if you use this page, scroll down about 1/4 down the page until you come to the CD, and click the Buy Now link there, it adds it to your basket (at the bottom of the page).

It's been a good year for early Williams work, hasn't it? :spiny:

I've lost count of all the newly released (or re-released) material that's come out this year.

It's been a good year for early Williams work, hasn't it? :spiny:

I've lost count of all the newly released (or re-released) material that's come out this year.

Off the top of my head:

- This jazz originals CD

- The Witches of Eastwick reissue

- Checkmate and Rhythm in Motion

- Not With My Wife You Don't!

- Goodbye Mr. Chips 3 CD set

- Diamond Head

- Amazing Stories all Williams music

- the new Boston Pops compilation

- the Denver Brass CD with previously unreleased Winter Fanfare

More than one new CD a month, definitely.

Wow. Would you figure that this will also be released in shops around here, like fnac and the like? Or should I order it on the internet?

Edit;

Steef, how much's the shipping?

Includes Williams first solo album, John Towner touc, plus other late 50's albuns (Wolrd on a String, Johnny Desmond Swings)  

Does it contain the complete LPs then? Or only excerpts?

The John Towner what?

why do they release this when they still haven't released Family Plot and ToD.

K.M.

:)

Is there actually any proof that Family Plot and ToD master tapes are available?

I really have no idea about Family Plot, but I strongly suspect the Temple of Doom tapes still exist. If they have been destroyed, I think we'd have heard about it, and I doubt they were "lost" - Lucasfilm's archives are pretty complete, aren't they?

I don't know - Laurent Bouzerau (sp?) had nothing praise for the organisation of the archives when he was talking about the Indy DVDs. But then again, Lucas has "lost" the original versions of the Star Wars films, hasn't he? :)

Track from the CD: In A Little Spanish Town

How would Williams know how a spanish town sounds, he has never performed here (and if he has come here just for holidays and not perfomed anything... shameless) :roll:

There is only one Willaims composed piece, Hello, that happens to be the earliest Williams composition ever recorded. I strongly recomend it for the arrangements he wrote for the Harold Arlen album, otherwise available as a gorgeus but expensive japanese cd re-issue.

But overall, this displays Williams as a soloist and acompanist.

As for shipping, you may try to get it from their eBay store.

http://stores.ebay.com/Absolute-Distribution

They ship CD without jewel cases, but so far they don't list this cd in there.

For those interested in Williams early work as a pianist, they have this other releases:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DON-FAGERQUIST-Portrai...7QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/RUSSELL-GARCIA-HIS-ORC...7QQcmdZViewItem

and an arranged track on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAVE-PELL-8tet-Plays-A...7QQcmdZViewItem

And please, stop complaining that your favourite score isn't released yet. We've been so lucky latelly, that one should just be grateful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

That's John Thomas Williams, an acomplished jazz painist, slightly older than John Towner Williams, who gave up his musical carreer after some of his fellow musicians begun to fall down due to drug addiction. He played with some of the greatest, like Stan Getz or Chet Baker.

Being active around the same time as John Towner Williams makes is even more confusing... Any more doubts on who played what can be asked to me ;-)

Is there actually any proof that Family Plot master tapes are available?

Here's Universal archivist Richard Rudin with the original Family Plot session reel. Apparently he had to record Columbo over it. Good man, our Dick in L.A.

RR_radio_web.jpg

Hitch

I got that John Williams Jazz Beginnings set last week and I've been enjoying it. A good background listen.

And one just gotta love Williams first arrangement of Anything Goes. :)

Well, you know... when anythhing goes, anything goes!

Miguel, getting weird.