A question about Angela's Ashes score

Miguel Andrade

Well, a few people around here know how I love this score, and how I find it to be among Williams very finest achievements.

I love the Sony release without he sensible choice of narration bits, as Williams also used them in expanded way on his beautiful suite from the score, for solo piano, cello, harp, narrator and orchestra.

Now, my question, or more a matter of personal curiosity, was to know which was this board members favourite track form the CD.

Please reply, I'm really curious about the answers.

:music: Suite from Angela's Ashes, for piano, cello, harp, narrator and orchestra

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Miguel, I absolutely agree, "Angela's Ashes" is one of Williams' finest lyrical achievements!

I love all of the music for this film, but I think "The Lanes of Limerick" is really extraordinary, -just a remarkably beautiful solo harp piece (with the most Williams-esque of cadences at the very end). Did you know that this piece was actually repertoire for the International Harp Convention a few years back?

Count me in as a member of the minority who absolutely loves Angela's Ashes. In terms of quality, I think it's in par with Schindler's List, but much of the music here isn't as outwardly emotional as in Schindler's List. It's more subdued and atmospheric, I think. Angela's Prayer is probably my favorite cue, probably since that's the only one other than Angela's Ashes without narration. I don't like the narration for the sake that I want to hear the music without distraction. Overall, it's a wonderful score though.

Ted

Back to America is a great finale and very sweeping in the Williams tradition. It's kind of an unleashing of orchetral beauty the score had been building towards since the beginning. It's one of my favorite tracks, but aside from Angela's Prayer, I'd also like to mention Angels Never Cough, which features a beautiful piano melody. As is often the case with Williams' best scores, the secondary themes are often more intricate and emotionally complex; this score is no different. The Angela's Prayer theme is one of Williams' finest.

Ted

I like this score very much as well, but as I always listen to it in one go, without checking the track titles (I didn't see the film either), I couldn't tell you what I like most unfortunately :music:

I've had the album for a long time now, score only, but I have also ordered the score with narration a few days ago - only had that on CDR - because it certainly has its charm and value.

I agree 100% with Ted: Angela's Prayer and Angels Never Cough, which besided the beautiful piano theme, also contains a beautiful piano rendition of the very same theme featured in Angela's Prayer.

And I also think Angela's Ashes is one of JW's greatest achievements. A masterpiece score in every meaning of the word.

Angela's Ashes - one of my faves.

I hardly ever listen to the Sony and usually grab for the narration-free promo.

Lord, Why Do You Want The Wee Children? is one of the standouts for me - a nice synthesis of both the main theme and Angela's Prayer. The track also contains the really haunting downturn-developed piano main theme midway into it - sublime. That and Watching The Eclipse... actually, the entire score is brilliant. Angela's may not be as heavy and as overtly dramatic as Schindler's, but it has its own kind of sensitivity.

I have the dialogue free version as well and I enjoy this score quite a bit. The main theme reminds me of Pressumed Innocent, which is another subtle favorite of mine.

Angela's Prayer and Back To America are my two favorite tracks.

I have only the CD with narration, and I'd like the one without - can someone with both tell me if the label number is different? How can I tell which is which without playing it?

:music: Amazing Stories "Boo!" (Goldsmith)

The main theme reminds me of Pressumed Innocent, which is another subtle favorite of mine.

Presumed Innocent is a favorite of mine as well. But that music is much more dark and brooding.

Ted

I have only the CD with narration, and I'd like the one without - can someone with both tell me if the label number is different? How can I tell which is which without playing it?

Sony Classical released the OST with narration. As far as I know, the Sony version was only distributed in North America.

Decca distributed the OST outside of North America - pressings from this label don't contain narration.

There also exists a narration-free 16 track promo that omits the two period songs from the commercial release.

Check here for more details on the various releases.

I recently got the Sony for 5 dollars including shipping overseas :music: That one is easily obtainable on eBay. The other one too if you look out a bit.

There are two other releases: an advance promo from Sony, sent either in a sleeve card or in a jewel case witha black sticker with the track list, and the Japanese release, also from Decca (sans narration, that is), but with a diferent cover art -- featuring the bioy stiking his tongue out.

Personally, I enjoy a lot the narration, and is the version I usually play.

I'd like an alternate cover without the ugly kid on the cover.

thank god for the decca release.I nearly broke the first c.d in anger with narration over the opening line of Back to America.

K.M.

'Angela's Prayer' probably takes the cake for me, Although 'Back to America' has an extraordinary part, not used in the film. The big Americana in the first minute of the cue I can do without, but the passage from 1:15-1:30 is just one of the most beautiful things I've heard from JW. 'Angela's Prayer' is just so affecting, such rich orchestration. 'Delivering Telegrams' is one of those 'Tourists on the Menu' type cues, crossed with the pizzicato feel of Witches of Eastwick. The piano is 'Angels Never Cough' always gets to me. 'Plenty of Fish and Chips in Heaven' is just terrific exploration of the theme. In general, I just love the how the main theme provides an overture for most of the ideas in the score, and then you hear those ideas explored.

I could gush on about every single track, but, well- you get the picture. I find this score to be one of the most emotional pieces of music I've ever heard. Right up there with Jane Eyre and Schindler's List, as JW emotional scores go.

I have to agree with all of the above. I love this score, and did from the moment I bought it. It would be invidious to pick out for special mention individual tracks from a score that works so beautifully as a whole - I think of it as an orchestral suite, or series of variations rather than a soundtrack. But if I had to I suppose it would be "Angela's Prayer" and "Plenty of Fish and Chips..."

Uniquely atmospheric, and musically the equal of "Schindler's List," I believe...

Back To America is great (although somewhat simplistic; almost Hornerish) and Angela's Prayer is good too (but somewhat similar music from BOT4OJ or Schindler's List is vastly superior IMO).

In the end; Angela's Ashes is not one of my favorite Williams' scores. It's good, but not great. Although it's more constistent than, let's say, Seven Years In Tibet or Munich, I still enjoy those soundtracks more.

It's also one of my favourite scores by John Williams!

But where could find the 'Suite from Angela's Ashes, for piano, cello, harp, narrator and orchestra'??

Well, I guess I am an exception, but I can safely say that I listened to every single 'major' Williams score, plus a very large portion of his 'minor' score by the time I was 18. But, that was do to a serious amount of cramming in my last year as a free man.

You shouldn't call songs to the pieces that make up the suite, rather movements.

I don't have a list of the movements, but I think it goes something like this:

Theme

My Story

My Dad's Stories

The Lanes of Limerick

Angela's Prayer (with the oboe part replaced by solo cello)

My Mother Begging

Delivering Telegrams

Back to America

I might be missing something, or even miss labelled some movement, I should check it out again.

As for availability, this was recorded for an Evening at Pops show, back in 2000. Featured Williams conducting from the piano, Yo-Yo Ma at the cello, Ann Hobson-Pilot on harp, and narration provided by author Frank McCourt. This isn't comercially available

But when Williams recroded his Cello Concerto, he and Ma recorded at least two excerpts, those being the Theme and Angela's Prayer. for a future release, so there is hope that the full suite get's out some time soon -- next year would be nice ;-)

Maybe it's better to change your signature into, "I haven't heard this score".

He's just a boy.

Did you hear every Williams score out there when you were 18? I know I didn't.

I'm 19. 8O

And Angela's Ashes is a "major" score?

Anyway, I don't think I've ever seen a copy of it in a store, so I haven't really gotten a chance to buy it. Yes, there's the internet, but I'd have to seek out a version without narration first.

Also, there's a whole bunch of scores (from other composers too), that I want to seek out first.

- Marc, who wonders why he's even defending himself. :|

Maybe it's better to change your signature into, "I haven't heard this score".

He's just a boy.

Did you hear every Williams score out there when you were 18? I know I didn't.

I'm 19. 8O

And Angela's Ashes is a "major" score?

Anyway, I don't think I've ever seen a copy of it in a store, so I haven't really gotten a chance to buy it. Yes, there's the internet, but I'd have to seek out a version without narration first.

Also, there's a whole bunch of scores (from other composers too), that I want to seek out first.

- Marc, who wonders why he's even defending himself. :|

Persoanlly I do find this to be a major score, yet of intimate proprotions. And if I'm not wrong, you're from Europe, so chances are you'll find the Decca release much more easelly than Sony's. Actually, I think that the Decca CD is being sold here, on our local Fnac store, for about 10 euros.

Certainly it is a major score. A second tier Williams classic (not in the top 10, but in the top 20).

And the Decca disk is worth any effort it might take to find it. The narration is an ear-soar.

Certainly it is a major score. A second tier Williams classic (not in the top 10, but in the top 20).

And the Decca disk is worth any effort it might take to find it. The narration is an ear-soar.

Angela's ashes is surelly on my top 10, probably on my top 5.

And I personally prefer the Sony release, with narration.

That just goes to show ya, Marc.

Well, to each his own. For my money, if I wanted to hear the score in context of the story it was written for, I'd see the film.

Back To America is great (although somewhat simplistic; almost Hornerish)  

I don't find it simplistic,especially the middle portion.And the "theme" is kind of like Theme from Jurassic Park I find.

K.M.

Agree 100 %

Marc, not every score work well with narration -- or better yet, not every score is thought to be presented with narration.

I love the way the narration works in Angela's Ashes, because it seems clear to me that Williams prepared the whole thing to work with the narration.

Is just as in any other piece of music that uses narration, like Peter and the Wolf or Lincoln Portrait.

Still, since its all about taste, and for those who don't like the narration, there is an option, I guess everyone's happy. One version isn't better than the other, they are jsut diferent presentations.

By the way, which release is available in Canada?

I love the way the narration works in Angela's Ashes, because it seems clear to me that Williams prepared the whole thing to work with the narration.  

Is just as in any other piece of music that uses narration, like Peter and the Wolf

Wait a minute, the music of Peter And The Wolf was written with narration in mind, Angela's Ashes wasn't.

Wait a minute, the music of Peter And The Wolf was written with narration in mind, Angela's Ashes wasn't.

Both were intented to have narration and even dialogue over it. You should check your sources.

Both were intented to have narration and even dialogue over it. You should check your sources.

If you pursue this line of thinking, then every soundtrack should have narration, unless the film it was written for is silent.

Alex

Well,to me Back to America is an outstanding "stand alone" Williams track I like to put on compilations of his best stuff.I don't want narration over that,especially over the beautiful clarinet intro.It would be like someone speaking over the flute intro of Anakin's Theme.The other cues,i think it matters less,the music that is spoken over doesn't seem as important to the flow of the music(it's like music you could edit out and it wouldn't change the cues that much).

I basically paid for the Decca c.d. to have Back to America without narration,on the rest of the c.d. I don't care as much

K.M.

You should now that Williams, and other composers take a lot of time thinking how the music should work witht eh dialogue and/or narration. If you read the recent interviews about Memoirs of a Geisha, Williams recorded numerous alternates to try to make the best with the on-screen narration.

As for the present discussion, I wasn't trying to make a point that every score should ahve narration. Smoetiems it works, but because there was a deliberate atempt at that. It was Williams choice to have the narration on the American release of Angela's Ashes. Everyone's entitled to disagree with his choices, but as I said before, everyone's happy has you can choose the version you want.

And i fully understand when you say that if you wanted the narration and so on, you'd watch the film, but I still persoanlly find that the score, or the suite, with narration, is a marvelous musical presentation of Williams interpretation of McCourt's novel.

I don't find it simplistic,especially the middle portion.And the "theme" is kind of like Theme from Jurassic Park I find.

JP Theme is simple, not simplistic.

Well,at least Williams didn't make the dreadful mistake of putting the poems into the American Journey c.d..I was REALLY scaredd before the c.d. came out,it was just after Angela's Ashes and the live version had narration.

There are two scores than in my view work great with narration: Angela's Ashes and Hannibal. In the case of Angela's Ashes, the fact that the book is so wonderful certainly helps.