Which "old" movies have you seen on the big screen

robthehand

By "old" I mean films you saw theatrically considerably after their original run. My entire list:

Rebecca

Citizen Kane

West Side Story

Ghostbusters

Spartacus

Thunderball

The Spy Who Loved Me

I've only discovered a few non-mainstream cinemas recently, but I intend to go a lot more in the future. Hopefully next month I'll add Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan to that list. :music:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1941's quite regular over here - I've just never been able to work up any enthusiasm for the movie.

just Star Wars, if the special edition release counts as after the orignial run

Yes, proper reissues count as well.

That's the plan. Ridley's final cut will be re-released in theaters for a brief time, similar to what they did for Alien for it's 25th. I'm trying to find a link now.

Ted

From ComingSoon.net - http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14724

Source: Warner Home Video

May 26, 2006

Warner Home Video (WHV) announced today that it has acquired worldwide rights to Ridley Scott's Blade Runner and plans two new DVD releases of the futuristic classic. Rights had lapsed a year ago, but negotiations for a long-term license have now been completed, and the film will again be available to the public.

First, a restored and remastered DVD version of the 1992 Director's Cut will debut in September in the U.S. for a special four-month limited release, after which it will be placed on moratorium by WHV.

Later in 2007, to celebrate the film's 25th anniversary, the studio will unveil "Blade Runner: The Final Cut," Scott's definitive new version of his science-fiction masterpiece. The film will be released theatrically in select major U.S. cities, followed by a multi-disc Special Edition DVD release which will also contain three alternate versions of Blade Runner: the Original U.S. Theatrical Cut, the Expanded International Theatrical Cut and the 1992 Director's Cut. Ample, ground-breaking bonus features will also be included.

In making the announcement, Jeff Baker, WHV's Senior VP and General Manager, Theatrical Catalog, said: "This is clearly Ridley's signature film and we are thrilled to have it back. While details of the new DVDs will be announced later, we wanted to get this great news to the many serious film buffs and ardent 'Blade Runner' fans who've been so patient, despite besieging us with thousands of annual requests in recent years for new 'Blade Runner' DVDs."

Continued Baker, "A number of people have told me that in the start-up days of DVD, 'Blade Runner' was absolutely the first DVD title they wanted, so much so that they purchased it even before their first DVD player! I guarantee these fans our new DVDs will be well worth waiting for."

Blade Runner -- starring Harrison Ford, Rutger Hauer, Sean Young, Edward James Olmos and Daryl Hannah -- made its first appearance in U.S. theaters on June 25, 1982, dazzling audiences with its stylish, brooding look into the future. From its intelligent, provocative story line to its stunning camera work and state-of-the-art special effects, Blade Runner opened the door to a new view of tomorrow.

Set in a multi-ethnic, overcrowded, high-tech city of the future, Blade Runner was also a benchmark in production design and helped propel the "cyberpunk" look into mainstream American consciousness.

Ted

Fortunately, there is the Louisville Palace Theater nearby, and every summer they have a classic movie series. Unfortunately, I have only been able to see Singin' in the Rain--which is good, but I missed Lawrence of Arabia!

Just the SW Special Editions, if those count. There are tons of movies I'd love to see on the big screen, but I don't think there's anywhere around here that shows them.

Blade Runner is being re-released theatrically? I thought it was only on DVD... :music:

That's the third official time it gets released theatrically, BTW.

Star Wars Trilogy (SE in '97 plus several re-releases in the early 80's)

Song Of The South (before it was banned!)

The Who At The Isle Of Wight

Gone With The Wind

The Goonies

Gremlins

Fantasia

Bambi

Jaws

E.T.

I know there are others, but that's all I can think of right now...

There are various connotations to that word. Old to one person may be ten years, but to another may mean 50 years. Kevynova's response was perfectly valid as "old" is not defined within the context of this thread.

Ted

Brazil

Oh how jealous I am. I still haven't forked over the rather large cost of money for the Criterion Edition of the film.

Ted

It was wonderful to see it on the "big screen". It wasn't really all that big as it was shown at a local arthouse cinema. Still, great film, great to see it in a cinema!

The Criterion set IS expensive. I was given it as a birthday present from two friends who clubbed together to get it for me. I can recommend hinting that your friends do the same! :music:

I don't even remember how many years have passed since the last time I walked into a cinema.

But I'm sure it was a new movie. Cinemas here only give new movies.

Whoa, new Criterion DVD is $50 from Amazon. I never knew it was that much. 8O What the hell is there in that set that's worth that much?

Disk 1 is a lovely DVD transfer of the definitive version of the movie. This is the version that was released in the UK (with a shot of clouds at the very beginning that wasn't there before). There's the usual hysterical stream-of-consciousness audio commentary from Gilliam. Anyone who has listened to a Gilliam audio commentary before will know exactly what I mean!

Disk 2 is what Criterion do so very well. A handful of excellent documentaries about the making of the film, and retrospectives from people involved in the legendary "Battle for Brazil". In other words, Gilliam's fight to get the USA to release the film uncut, without completely changing the meaning of his film! Michael Kamen has a nice segment on the second DVD also. One of the best aspects of disk 2 is all the Gilliam-drawn storyboards for the unmade dreamsequences. Oh my! What an amazing film this would have been had Terry had the time and money to realise all the sequences in these storyboards!

Disk 3 is the least valuable. It presents the awful hacked-to-shreds version of Brazil that the US originally wanted to put out, against Gilliams wishes. It's 48 minutes shorter, VERY dumbed down, very anticlimactic, and just is a terrible experience. It's included in this set only to demonstrate WHY it was so important that Gilliam's film be presented in it's correct format. To be honest I got so upset about 10 minutes into watching it that I had to stop. This version of the film has an audio commentary by Gilliam expert David Morgan. I haven't heard it as I can't bring myself to watch athe bastardized version of Brazil.

I saw E.T. re-issue in 2002 but hhad already seen it in 1982

I also saw The Exorcist re-issue in theaters in 2002.It was pretty intense compared to the home video versions.

he said old movies

I think 1970's movies can now be considered old movies.

K.M.

Kevynova's response was perfectly valid as "old" is not defined within the context of this thread.

Actually, it is very much defined:

By "old" I mean films you saw theatrically considerably after their original run.

Which basically also defines "big screen". Because otherwise, I would add that a projector allows you to watch old movies on your own big screen, sometimes with better sound (thanks to mediocre to poor theatre equipment, especially for those theatres which actually show old movies) and cleaner picture (thanks to DVD restorations). I've seen many classics that way. 8O

I've seen many "old" films during their first-run: Star Wars IV, Superman, ESB, ET, ROTJ, Indy 2, View To A kill, etc. and

a just a few during their return engagements (Star Wars Special Editions, Vertigo, Midnight Cowboy). Frankly I would have traded in the

Star Wars: SE Trilogy for the chance to see a good print of Raiders theatrically, or North By Northwest, or Psycho.

I just got back from a screening of the original The Little Shop of Horrors and The Intruder with director Roger Corman and Joe Dante in attendance.

Neil

I just got back from a screening of the original The Little Shop of Horrors and The Intruder with director Roger Corman and Joe Dante in attendance.

Neil

I envy you sooooooo much. ;) Roger Corman is very high up on my want-to-meet list.

Bambi (Dutch dub)

101 Dalmatians (Dutch dub)

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Mission: Impossible

Mission: Impossible II

I was going to try and catch The Untouchables on the big screen, but the ruddy bus was too slow, and the last showing will be next Tuesday - when I'm working. ;)

Jesus Marc, old movies....OLD!

Raiders Of The Lost Ark

The Original SW Trilogy

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan

Star Trek III: The Search For Spock

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

Star Trek: First Contact

Jesus Marc, old movies....OLD!

Well, of course, those aren't old, but I saw them again after their initial run. Thought I'd include them anyway.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Was that the DC?

It was not.

I saw it during a Star Trek Marathon celebrating the Dutch premiere of First Contact.

It's rather startling to hear a cinema full of devoted Trekkies laughing at Shatner's "Damned Bones I need you...badly!" line. ;)