IMAX film scores - opinions?

MikeyKW

I've been listening to quite a few of these lately and am really enjoying them -- Mysteries of Egypt, Blue Planet/Dream is Alive, Amazon, India: Kingdon of the Tiger. They seem to have a boldness, a lushness and an exoticism rare in feature film scores. The scores also seem to have a prominence in the final sound mixes of the films rarely seen outside of the Hermann/Hitchcock, Williams/Spielberg or Williams/Star Wars pairings. Opinions or reccomendations?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two marvelous Imax scores by composer Alan Silvestri exist.

The first is from 1999 for the odd bio Siegfried & Roy: The Magic Box. This score is best described as a Silvestri concert. Everything that makes his music great can be found in this score. It's big, it's epic, it's colourful, it's Silvestri. Two bootlegs exist of this score: The first one only carries this score (51 minutes) and the end credits song "Grand Illusion" arranged by Alan Silvestri and performed by Dennis DeYoung. The other bootleg pairs his score for Siegfried & Roy with What Women Want but dropped the end credits song.

There is another silvestri-score for an Imax project called The Luxor Ride from 1993 which is an attraction at the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas. Maybe not as rich as the music from Siegfried & Roy, it's a very short one (barely 20 minutes) and the sound quality of the bootleg is really bad but the adventurous theme is one of the best Alan Silvestri ever did. The score features the first silvestri choral music that actually has vocals (all his choral music before was vocal less). There is also a funny spoof on the jaws theme in the first track.

Both scores would fit together on one CD and such a pairing would be one of my holy grail releases.

I have Grand Canyon on cassette(I bought the cassette at the Grand Canyon gift shop),I need to transfer it to digital.I remember it's abig sweeping theme

i also have Eric Serra 's Atlantis,I think that was Imax.Was Anima Mundi(Philip Glass) Imax too?

k.M.

Sam Cardon is definitely the king of Imax composers. Check out his beautiful scores to HEARST CASTLE: BUILDING THE DREAM and MYSTIC INDIA, two of my favorites.

There is a thread on Intrada's message board at the moment with an impressive list of every Imax film that has had a score release, either official, promotional, or boot.

The only IMAX score I remember enjoying as I was watching the film was Amin Bhatia's score to Jane Goodall's Wild Chimpanzees. Enjoyable film too.

I have Grand Canyon on cassette(I bought the cassette at the Grand Canyon gift shop),I need to transfer it to digital.

Aah, I didn't saw any CD in Grand Canyon's gift shops (I went to more than one shop when visited the Canyon), otherwise I would have bought it.

There are a few nice IMAX scores, John Barry's Across the Sea of Time is a nice relaxing listen, Conti's Grand Canyon is ok.

Basil Poledouris has one released called Flyers.