looking at all these shots, one thing is very clear. The visual style of this film will be so incredibly different to that of LotR. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I mean I'm looking at some of these super HD shots of Gollum or Thorin and the focus shots of Gandalf and I'm thinking to myself, "Wow, you would never see something like in the old Lord of the Rings".

+1. I guess we'll find out if it really looks different later this afternoon...

I still think that first shot of Tintin looks better.

I disagree. Haddock looks more fake. That is precisely one of the scenes were the combination of the soft lightning and many details makes the character animation look stunning.

I disagree. Haddock looks more fake. That is precisely one of the scenes were the combination of the soft lightning and many details makes the character animation look stunning.

agree the eyes of haddock in the finished pic look real eyes.

And i think the hobbit has the same look as LOTR, i agree with gkgyver, :blink: i dont see much difference. And i like that.

seeing the dwarves withing real sets and scenes, and in their propper proportion makes them look better.

I mean if you see a promo still of an isolated thorin or the young stubbled dwarf you think you are seeing two human warriors, but alongsige a towering gandalf... they look like dwarves.....with beards too short.

And i think the hobbit has the same look as LOTR, i agree with gkgyver, :blink: i dont see much difference. And i like that.

Its the incredibly digital look here that makes The Hobbit differ from LotR visually. I'd like to see how that plays out in today's trailer.

It is a good thing I have work until 20.00 CEST so that I don't have to eat myself up with anticipation.

Hey! If you were a hot dog...and you were starving, would you eat yourself? I know I would! First, I'd smother myself with brown mustard and relish. I'd be so delicious!...So would you?

He looks fake either way. You know why? Because he's CGI! It's stylized, either way he's gonna look like a computer generated cartoon. The first shot has better lighting and contrast that brings out the details in the animation. The revised shot just looks washed out and blurry.

It is a good thing I have work until 20.00 CEST so that I don't have to eat myself up with anticipation.

Hey! If you were a hot dog...and you were starving, would you eat yourself? I know I would! First, I'd smother myself with brown mustard and relish. I'd be so delicious!...So would you?

Then polish it off with a tall cool Budweiser.

HOW WAS IT?

must... not... watch... now...

First reaction: bloody awesome. It's clearly The Hobbit and not LOTR, or they make it appear as such.

He looks fake either way. You know why? Because he's CGI! It's stylized, either way he's gonna look like a computer generated cartoon. The first shot has better lighting and contrast that brings out the details in the animation. The revised shot just looks washed out and blurry.

But the lightning is a bit more beautiful. Haddock's slightly sad look is better at that moment than the creepy Haddock of the first picture.

With special effects I don't think you need to show off all the details all the time. If you can hide them from time to time as if it were a real element it helps to make it more "real".

It seriously looks really really good!

I don't get why so many people are complaining about every little difference from the novel. It's gonna be a fun night out at the movies!

One moment where I was torn, though, was when it became clear that the giants throwing boulders in the storm would be included. At first I was glad to know it was there, because it was such an effective, eerie image from the book. But then I realized that it's being turned into some sort of action set piece, and I'm a bit disappointed by that. I would rather have it play out like it was in the book, where you get quick glimpses when the lightning flashes. We'll see how they handle it. Definitely not a deterrent, but it was something I'd hoped to see realized on the screen.

BUNNNIIIIESSS! *popeyes*

Well, they are bunnies indeed, no jackrabbits/hares. I can't yet comment on their gait since onle one-two jumps are shown.

It would be much better if it were roedeers (other bigger and bigger horned deers would look to much like Santa). Ironic that for a film shot in new zealand they chose a pest foreign animal for the film :P... where are the Wetas, new zealand's falcons, etc?

Looks nice otherwise, and it looks like LOTR for me...

I'm sad they took the GL way and like the clone troopers, now i think the orcs or goblins are CGI at least in some close up scenes. :(

Don't get me wrong, it looks like great fun, but I'm a little disappointed to see all the goblin/orcs being CGI. I loved how in LOTRs they were real people with amazing make-up... Hope this still happens in other parts of the film. In LOTRs the shot of Bilbo fighting that thing with the sword would have had a real actor fighting, not CGI. Still I'm very excited! :D

Official site with trailer and additional scenes

http://www.thehobbit...ose-your-moment

You have to choose an scene and it will play at the end of the trailer.

Galdafs have shore music (concerning hobbits i think)

Official site with trailer and additional scenes

http://www.thehobbit...ose-your-moment

You have to choose an scene and it will play at the end of the trailer.

Galdafs have shore music (concerning hobbits i think)

Hey that's pretty cool!

They still have time to improve the CGI between now and Dec 14, especially since the film is probably closer to 2 hours now than 3 hours after the 2->3 movie split

They can actually start the scene of the giants that way. I would like that.

Ah, that would be good.

Something that occurred to me as I re-watched the trailer is that I think that the CGI characters in some way actually add to the lighter vibe. I can't say that that's intentional, or that it isn't something else to do with the way it's shot, but it just seemed like it contributed to the storybook vibe in contrast to LOTR. Anyone else see that? Am I crazy?

All the alternate trailer endings are GREAT! And all much better than the dwarf ending used in the real trailer. Martin Freeman is TERRIFIC as Bilbo in these!

thanks for that new panoramic jay!

GEEEEEE, they listened to me. now the eagles are golden eagles and not hawks. is gwaihir young? because the closer one is a young eagle...

Lol there is a mistake. a group of three eagles in the background is captioned from ROTK, gwaihir has gandalf on his back... but gandalf is on the forest! :P

Has anybody watched all these alternate endings? They are the best footage released today!

:lol: That moment was handled so well!

Martin Freeman is doing a good job of being a unique Bilbo, while showing signs of Ian Holm Bilbo. It's awesome.

Looks spectacular ...!

There are moments, like the wide shot with Thorin and Elrond in that cave thing, that don't really fit into the LOTR cinematography, but they look great!

Fanboy alert.

Its the incredibly digital look here that makes The Hobbit differ from LotR visually.

I don't think it looks much different either, personally. The colors are a bit more (too?) saturated in certain shots, and I'll give you that they seem to be bringing out the CGI a lot more, but other than that, it just reminds me of the original trilogy.