Oh, wait: that could actually be an excellent subplot. The dwarves might try to reclaim their stolen beards when confronting the Orcs. That would be cool.

Somewhat similar to the soldier heads in ROTK?

Cate Blanchett looks even more Elven in Hobbit than she did in LotR. She is positively radiant in that cover.

Fellowship was 2 hours and 58 minutes. First he says The Hobbit: AUJ is 10 minutes shorter, than he says its 2 hours, 40 minutes (18 minutes shorter). Which is it, PJ???

I kinda wish it was even shorter for its theatrical run, with more stuff left for the EE. Oh well.

So if its 2 hours 40 minutes now, I guess it will be about 2 hours 48 minutes with end credits right? There's the 10 minutes shorter figure. Cool.

All film makers and composers should have a fan or two in their care -- to teach them the meaning of the word, and to correct them.

WTF is a pancake puppy? :o Does it grow up to be a Bunny of Doom? Or is it made of ground-up Bunnies of Doom? After all, red velvet is colored with the crushed shells of small arthropods. Anything's possible.

EDIT: Oh wait, it's like a hushpuppy. Now it makes sense.

I'll let the PR mania run its course, food, drink, poster and stamp.

And yes Alice, it all looks like quite affordable, even cheap.

Good Lord, I didn't even see the Hobbit Hole cuisine at the bottom of the list.

What PR knucklehead thought these were a good idea?

:bash:

Who's going to go to Denny's and film themself ordering a Hobbit Slam with a side of Shire Sausage for their Hobbit Hole, and put it up on YouTube?

From the Set: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

hr_The_Hobbit%3A_An_Unexpected_Journey_80.jpg

McKellen looks so depressed on that pic! I'm sure he's thinking: "What the fuck am I doing here? 'Come back', he said. 'It will only be for one film', he said. Then, there were two. And two became three. I should have seen it coming, though. Before that madness even began, I was already surrounded with Bunnies Of Doom, starfish hairdos, Taurielisms, dwarves with mohawks riding wild boars and whatnots... What the fuck am I doing here?"

You can't just put comingsoon.net pics in posts, they don't show up for anyone else. Gotta copy to imageshack or the like first

Wow!

Unlike "The Lord of the Rings," which relied heavily on trick photography, "The Hobbit" is making use of "slave-cam" technology. The Dwarves can all do a scene on a set build to the appropriate size while larger characters, like McKellen's Gandalf, stand on a green screen set. The movement of the cameras between the two scenes are synced and adjusted to the size disparity, meaning that McKellen can act live while being digitally composited onto the appropriate scene.

Despite the advantages that the slave-cam technique brings to the final production, not everyone is a fan. McKellen himself voiced his early dissatisfaction with the process.

"The thirteen Dwarves are over there in their set," he explains, "and I'm over in my set, which is a little green screen cutout to make me look tall. With nobody else because my camera is enslaved to the other one and there isn't an operator. I can't see the people I'm talking to, so they're represented by pictures on top of poles which light up when they're talking and I hear them through a sound piece in my ear. I didn't feel like being back. I wanted to go away. I was very, very unhappy. Miserable."

Fortunately, Jackson was quick to listen to McKellen's thoughts on the process and things were handled a little bit differently as the production moved forward.

"Peter has managed to cut down the number of times we've done that since," the actor continues. "…I think because my reaction was so strong to it. It was very difficult and bewildering."

Poor Ian...

Yikes, a shame to hear Ian had to go through that. Hopefully it didn't mar his experience in Middle-Earth too much.

Is that why there's a shot where Bilbo looks at Gandalf but it doesn't really look like he's looking at Gandalf? Because I don't like that.

Well you'd have a similar problem with "traditional" forced perspective shots, where the actors are in the same scene but deliberately not looking at each other because they're not really standing where they appear to be. Always distracts me in the kitchen table scene between Bilbo and Gandalf in FOTR.