You obviously have some revised version of the novel BloodBoal. Perhaps it is the Short Cut to a Few Too Many Weird Mushrooms Edition.

I pity the April Fools!

Yeah, that's very lame of you, K.K.. I thought you were worth more than that. Apparently, I was wrong.

You're not the Merciful One anymore. You're the Pitiful One.

Careful Messenger, I've been lenient and merciful with you thus far, but thine foolishness and mockery will lead to your downfall. Thine hesitance to take in the spirit of this foul day disappoints me...I expected more from you...

You obviously have some revised version of the novel BloodBoal. Perhaps it is the Short Cut to a Few Too Many Weird Mushrooms Edition.

That's one my favourite editions, second to A Conspiracy Undressed by the Looney Elf Maiden edition.

hey I liked that rejection story. I think it would have been good for the movie.

They still had have that dwarf company theme which is obviously stolen from the HOOk Wendy Tells Peter the Truth.

Do you have something against Shore and the Lord of the Rings hornist? And the dwarf company theme is not at all stolen from the Hook melody you mentioned...

Of course not, it was meant to be humor...

A difficult concept that. Humor. Can blow up in your face. Quite often does.

Hey, blame Ghân-Buri-Ghân. The guy wouldn't let me pass through Druadan Forest! The rotter!

You expect help from barbarian pygmies? You should put all that bright cold iron and fire to better use. Down the woses! Burn their forests! Rip them all down! We need news!

My apologies then ;)

The Messenger has brought us no news for scores of ages! He has failed us. Rohan has not come!

I believe the Messenger may have fallen to darkness long ago, and perhaps without our knowing...

A difficult concept that. Humor. Can blow up in your face. Quite often does.

It is a strange fate that we should suffer so much fear and doubt over so small a thing. Such a little thing.

Tell me, my friend, when did BloodBoal the Messenger abandon reason for madness?!

The board is set, the merchandise is moving.

It's kind of creepy that Bilbo steps right through your chest when you wear that shirt. :|

Hey those pics (aside from the half naked man posing below the spoiler tags) look promising. Thanks Messenger. You are such a great guy! Keep up the good, should I say most excellent work!

Some "news" about the hobbit score from Dougie Doug D Dadams!

http://www.musicoflo...ng%20Discussion

Hi all,

The question on everyone's lips/fingertips right now is: "when are we going to get some information on the Hobbit's music?" The short of it is, I've been asked to not talk about The Hobbit yet. I can tell you that Howard Shore is working on it, and has been for some time now. I'll even go a step beyond that and tell you that he's made a handful of trips to New Zealand already, and will continue on his "long commute" schedule (a few weeks here, a few weeks there) during the summer. But beyond that, I can't tell you specifics regarding new themes, big moments, etc.

Composing is a very conceptual thing. It's much like writing in that sense. 95% of what one does occurs prior to a physical product, yet that physical product is what one is really creating. (For The Hobbit, that physical product will be scores, parts, and a recording.) I can't imagine being a sculptor -- no matter how much careful planning a sculptor tends to, concept and execution are essentially the same. You chip away the first bit of marble and it's gone, forever dedicated to an immovable goal. That's got to be a lot of pressure ... although the neat, self-contained process must be exhilarating. Music is more like writing a play, perhaps. The final staging is the goal, but most of the creative work happens prior to that point. That's not to suggest that the final staging is any less creative, but in terms of pure percentages, most of the work involves quiet dreaming, paper, graphite, and ink. (Computers de-romanticize my flowery imagery here, but of course they're essential.) For a composer, like a writer, everything that leads to that last 5% of execution is fluid, thus subject to editing, revisions, and whole-scale 're-do's. This is precisely why most composers don't like to speak publicly about works as they're being created. As soon as one says something publicly, the music is in a box, conceptually frozen. That's antithetical to a composer's creative process.

Some of these lessons I learned during the long-gestating The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films. Every once in a while I shared a inchoate idea of mine that suddenly everyone latched onto. And it was tough to go back and explain that I was sharing early notions and that we now had a better, clearer notion of where we were headed. Chronicled, it looks like indecisiveness; it looks messy! The reality of it is, this is how things are created.

Think of it this way: if this were April, 2003 and I was to starting run on about the score to The Return of the King, you'd be hearing about all the male vocalists lined up, and about this new song "Use Well the Days" that was meant to close the score. We all understand the progression of these ideas now, and certainly they haven't been swept under the rug or treated as some sort of secret shame. In fact, the whole point on The Rarities Archive is that these early ideas have their own beauty. But how distracting would it have been to sit down to ROTK in its full glory and find that these elements had been rethought?

Oh, if you prefer a food analogy: they're currently baking you the grandest cake imaginable. I'm not about to start feeding you raw eggs in preparation. :)

Peter Jackson is running a pretty transparent production right now, but note that the script to The Hobbit was created in quiet solitude. The reason he can be transparent now is because the production has entered the execution stage -- the ideas are in place. Later this summer, Shore will likewise cross the terminus into the next stage of his process. At that point, ideas will be in place, music-driven moments will be fully shaped, pacing and architecture will polished, and the music of The Hobbit will be ready to be realized. That also when there will be (considerably!) more to say.

I like to keep my current projects in folders on top of the filing cabinet in my office. I realize this sort of defeats the purpose a cabinet, but such is life. Right now there are two folders atop the cabinet: one fat, one thin. The fat folder pertains to my current project, the one I've been hinting about lately. I'll have more to say on that subject soon, probably in May and June. The thin folder is The Hobbit folder. Inside are a few notes, a few ideas. It's a little lean, but it's begun.

Interesting. The last mention of "The Hobbit" in his post links to this web page:

http://www.musicofthehobbit.com/

But when I go there, I get a 503 error.

Good post by Doug though, makes perfect sense. I want my first exposure to the music (outside of any that appears to in upcoming trailers) to be when I pop the OST in. I'm glad he won't be discussing the ideas that were scrapped along the way until long after the movies are done and Complete Recordings / Rarity Archives released.

First pics of Laketown.

6712370.jpg6712371.jpg

Yeah, I know, we don't see much, but I had to post it anyway since I didn't want El Don or The Merciful One to show off like last time "Hey, look, I've got something the Messenger didn't know about!"

Whoa!

Not Laketown, I mean the security guard.

He should have played Bombur!

I guess they were going for the security guard being so wide no one could sneak past him to the Lake-Town sets. :P

Perhaps he is some sort of emergy Bombur stomach double when they need quick close up of his gut.

It just occurred to me that the score for the first movie will be almost a decade since Shore wrote RotK.

That's a long time for a composing style to change. Maybe I'm naive, but the idea of having LotR scores 4 and 5 is a good one :)

I know this has been posted before (either here or somewhere else..I can't remember) because I've seen this stills before. But I noticed it only came on the blog recently, so might as well put up a link anyways.

http://www.thehobbitblog.com/?p=4773

So they absolutely had to have Legolas intruding on the scenes in Mirkwood. I guess no mere cameo appearance in the background was enough for Bloom. He had to babble something as well.

So many chumps complaining about the 48fps preview across the net, 99% of whom have not actually seen it of course.

I don't get why people seem always so adverse to any sort of change or advancement. If we all had this mentality, whe'd still be watching black and white at 18fps. Apparently The Hobbit will be showing at 24fps at certain theatres that are unable to upgrade in time so I guess they'll get their way anyhoo.

Personally, I'll be embracing the future on opening night, 48fps, 3D. Gimmicks? pffff. :)