Good to see Richard Taylor a bit more here. I missed his voice. "The blade is made of polyurethane"... Ah, Richard, these making-of videos wouldn't be the same without you!

Taylor has without a doubt the most impressive flat nasal voice I have ever heard. It would be great to hear him do the Aragorn at the Black Gate speech or e.g. Henry V's Agincourt Speech. I bet he could suck all the inspiration out of it.

Wow, I dunno how I missed that! Weird! That's what I get for checking JWFan early in the morning before fully waking up :)

Wow, I dunno how I missed that! Weird! That's what I get for checking JWFan early in the morning before fully waking up :)

Too bad no coffee!

you don't drink coffee? haha, I envy you!

if only I had grown up in a country without sweden's extensive coffee drinking culture lol

Same goes for Finland. It's what makes this country get up in the morning and go to work with smile on our faces! :D

And I think Finland beats Sweden at least in this regard, people here drinking most coffee per person in the world. Sorry strike that! Seems Norway has dethroned us! We are paltry second most coffee consuming country in the world. :o

haha! I always thought finland was number 1 by far. what about sweden? top 5?

do you guys have something like fika? apparently, norwegians don't. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fika_(coffee_break)

I mean... we don't mess around when we're having our daily fika haha.

Oh sure. Coffee breaks are usually pretty standard at any job where some or all employees gather for a short break to have coffee together. One is usually in the morning and the other in the afternoon. I think these times are usually made clear when you start at a new job and of course you can take those breaks when you have time or feel like it.

But how about that Hobbit production diary. I wonder when it is Shore's turn in the spotlight. It is high time already. He has been at work for more than half a year.

my friend, coffee breaks are just a small small part of fika.

haven't you ever been to sweden? ;)

Yes although never had a chance to experience this fika hospitality, which sounds quite similar to Finnish coffee culture of old (and present).

What the fika... I mean, the fuck is going one here?

From The Hobbit to the comparison of Swedish/Finnish coffee culture. All in a days work at JWFan. You don't even break a sweat figuring out this obvious connection and train of thought which lead from one thing to another.

I never ever drink coffee, try not to ever drink soda either. I have tea at work almost every afternoon. I get two steeps out of one bag, and don't put anything in it.

But how about that Hobbit production diary. I wonder when it is Shore's turn in the spotlight. It is high time already. He has been at work for more than half a year.

agreed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for some shore in the next (and final!) production video. maybe they're saving the best for last.

HEY!! That canadian did all the work! He made Doug Adams the man he is. Without the Canadian, you have no Adams!

GO CANADA!!!!

Yeah, but without Doug Adams, the Canadian dude would have never had such exposure, and would have remained an obscure composer. Like that Williams bloke.

It wasnt Doug Adams who got the Canadian the gig. Adams made the Canadian popular in the film music community that makes up 0.000000000000000000000000...0001% of the world. The Canadian alone is responsible for the fame of his music in the mainstream.

What cani say, I'm very Canadian right now ;)

Ridley Scott should totally make his next movie about the discovery of an alien race of Canadians called....wait for it...

Canadian.

Why do you say that? Too much expectations heaped upon it? PJ going on a rampage through the Dwarf design? PJ breaking the continuity of the world by presenting something radically different in The Hobbit?

I still think it'll all come together nicely. He has a rock solid writing team, remember. And Jackson is open to ideas and criticism from others. If Boyens or his wife had issues, they'd surely tell him.

Peter isn't George.

Is that a positive outlook on something BloodBoal? :o

I didn't think you had it in ya...

Bah...shouldn't have said anything...I can only imagine long list of micro-criticisms you'll brew up after the film's release...

Oh and don't forget the Nazgul tombs.

I'm telling myself the film will suck so that in the end it will be all the more satisfying.

Seriously though, the Hobbit may be many things, but it won't be the prequels.

Was Prometheus that bad?....

And Peter Jackson has a better team than Scott. I doubt writers like Boyens or Walsh are going to let the production screw it up that badly...

- There won't be a Jar Jar character in The Hobbit. Well perhaps Bombur. Or Tauriel. But clearly nowhere near the level of annoyance of Jar Jar (well, i'm not sure on this Tauriel girl, though).

There was absolutely nothing redeemable about Jar Jar in the prequels, whether he was talking, acting like an idiot, or simply standing there taking up space.

Tauriel, on the other hand. She makes me want to dial 1-900 numbers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC59MgCkEdU

Do people have post-Prometheus depression or something?

Well it turns out I will be watching it tonight, so I'll taper my expectations to avoid the suicidal thoughts regarding prometheus that's been around here for the week....

The film just looks too good for all your severe complaints to be true though... :(

Lots of films look good, judging by their trailers. But lots of them don't live up to it. Prometheus is that kind of film.

But I'm sure you'll (more or less) like it. You're the kind of person who finds something to enjoy in everything, it seems.

Where'd you get that from? I've bashed nearly every film that's out this year as of yet. I'm pretty critical of the movies I like/don't like. Just because I WANT Prometheus to be good doesn't mean I'll like it....

And you're the guy who liked Pillars of the Earth...you shouldn't be talking ;)

I thought Dwarves thought Elves were full of themselves? why would a Dwarf be pursuing the an Elf?

I swear....

Once again... why all the worry about details like these when massive changes were made to Lord of the Rings? It's like, "I'm fine that the Lord of the Rings films completely rewrote Faramir's character and resequenced nearly everything from the Battle of Helm's Deep on, but it's inexcusable that the Nazgul are being said to have been created recently in the timeline of the films, rather than centuries before." Jackson has obviously never been out to produce a faithful adaptation of The Hobbit. As with Lord of the Rings, he's taking some very admirable source material, nodding to it, and creating something new. Look at these films stylistically and not clinically. Maybe Fellowship of the Rings sticks pretty close to the source material, but its tone can't be anything like what Tolkien intended. For example, the dramatic prologue giving us the backstory of the rings, although sitting perfectly within the book's "canon," drastically alters audience expectations, as compared to reader expectations. Because we are given information from the onset, the journey of discovery (told through Frodo's eyes in the book) is reduced. The coziness and warmth of the Shire is less assured because when we see it, we've already learned the backstory of Sauron and the Ring. These tones and moods aren't incidental to the plot of the film, they really are the film. All the characters, locations and lore are only tools used by filmmakers to create an emotional experience. They have no integrity. Okay? Tools, nothing more. In the end, I think audiences will remember The Hobbit - fondly or not so much - for the same reasons they remembered Lord of the Rings. Beautiful New Zealand landscapes. Endearing performances from actors like Ian McKellen. The music. The excitement and pace of battle scenes. Heartfelt writing that draws from a rich mythology... but... NOT the mythology itself.

You mention integrity. The important point is whether "superficial" details are changed like main plot moments, characters (incidentally, I agree that Faramir's story arc was modified a lot, but it was done to stay faithful to his character - bringing out character traits that only appear as backstory in the book) etc., or whether actual "world facts" are changed. Like the nature of the Nazgul. Or the reasoning and threat of Sauron (him coming out of Barad-dur for a one on one combat with Aragorn would have been a major blow to that).

I have a feeling that this is going to be exactly like the Star Wars prequels.

- The Hobbit has McKellen, Weaving, Lee, Freeman, Armitage... Lots of great, great actors.

If the prequels had one thing, they had a stellar cast.

Lucas just managed to write and direct them into the ground.