17851 posts in this topic

Strange how everyone seem willing to judge a 3 hour movie from a 10 minute clip. Especially considering no one actually saw that clip....

Maybe they'll rename the film: it won't be The Hobbit, but The Rabbit. It will tell the story of Bilbo the Rabbit, and the Company Of Bunnies, led by Hare Oakenshield. They will go on a quest to defeat Radagast, whose goal is to enslave every living rabbit in Middle-Earth. Along the way, they'll be helped by amazing characters and creatures, such as Gandalf The Buck, Elrond Half-Rodent, Beorn Bunny and Bard Bunny.

In a hole, in the ground, there lived a Rabbit...

Tagline: It's Rabbit Season.

Cut to Radagast J. Fudd saying: Be wevy, wevy quiet. We're hunting wabbits. Hehehehehehe.

ROTFLMAO

And you get the Award for "Outsanding Performance In A Supporting Joke"!

oscar-statue-0309-lg-99529884.jpg

Oh, you're misunderstanding me here. It's one of these films that somehow really moved me. I don't have a problem with the humour and the "grandeur" of the finale is well, grand. It was later that I came to certain conclusions about the pacing, what ended up in the film and what didn't, some solutions of the script (beacons, staircase) and the somewhat devoid of personality despiction of the land of Gondor, which "ruined" the effect on me so to speak.

I hate to say it, but while ROTK is my favourite film from the trilogy, the above statement is indeed one of its biggest flaws. Apart from Faramir and Denethor, there are no characters to represent Gondor that would make us feel more the despair in which this kingdom is. The film could have use at least one or two faces to embody the realm of Gondor, in order for us to feel the human side of it all. But as it is, Gondorians are just random faces. Shame.

Strange how everyone seem willing to judge a 3 hour movie from a 10 minute clip.

Well, descriptions of sled being pulled by bunnies generally tend to have that effect on people...

But to be honest, after thinking a bit about it, I'm more or less willing to accept it... if you take into consideration that apparently, in the film, the story will be told by Bilbo to Frodo. So giant bunnies and other nonsensical thing are just an addition by Bilbo to "spice things up" a bit (much like in the book, which is supposed to have been written by Bilbo, and has walking dogs, and giant bees). But even thinking that way, I'm sure I'll still have hard time accepting those bunnies... Bunnies are evil, man!

Strange how everyone seem willing to judge a 3 hour movie from a 10 minute clip. Especially considering no one actually saw that clip....

It is internet's prerogative. Make assumptions from least amount of information and produce bile, vitriol and disgruntlement.

And yes bunnies are kind of evil. All that floppy eared, bushy tailed cuteness can't be real. They are hiding something behind those adorably cute button eyes of theirs, harboring dark designs and evil plots. Almost as bad as pandas.

Are there any detailed descriptions of the "bunnies"? Maybe they're not bunny rabbits at all, but big badass hares harnessed in studded leather, battle scarred and scruffy hides chomping at the bit. I wouldn't fuck with 'em.

That's exactly what I was talking about! They're *uck*** evil! I tell you! All sharp pointy teeth and red eyes!

Far Over The Misty Carrots Cold...

To rabbits hole, where there's mold...

The hares were roaring on the heights...

The doe was moaning in the night...

The eyes were red, in flaming spread...

The teeth like torches, blazed with light...

Well, descriptions of sled being pulled by bunnies generally tend to have that effect on people...

But to be honest, after thinking a bit about it, I'm more or less willing to accept it... if you take into consideration that apparently, in the film, the story will be told by Bilbo to Frodo. So giant bunnies and other nonsensical thing are just an addition by Bilbo to "spice things up" a bit (much like in the book, which is supposed to have been written by Bilbo, and has walking dogs, and giant bees). But even thinking that way, I'm sure I'll still have hard time accepting those bunnies... Bunnies are evil, man!

They're pure evil regardless of whose perspective the story is in.besides, Bilbo never meets Radagast, he never about Gandalf's meetings. That's all behind the scene stuff.

Are there any detailed descriptions of the "bunnies"? Maybe they're not bunny rabbits at all, but big badass hares harnessed in studded leather, battle scarred and scruffy hides chomping at the bit. I wouldn't fuck with 'em.

they are described as Jackrabbits somewhere else.

they are described as Jackrabbits somewhere else.

That doesn't make it any better really.

atleast it doesnt sound as retarded (the name) as "bunny" or "bunnies"

"Bunny" doesn't sound retarded. It sounds jolly and funny. And evil. Bunnies are evil, man!

Radagast should just ride a horse like he did in LotR. Like normal wizards do.

Normal wizards? There are no such things!

Wizards are weird! Deal with it!

Well one of them was trying to take of the world with genetically mutated super men (or Orcs) and the other one sleeps in ditches and hangs out with Hobbits. So the third will naturally be a certified lunatic hermit with bird nests growing from his hair.

They're pure evil regardless of whose perspective the story is in.besides, Bilbo never meets Radagast, he never about Gandalf's meetings. That's all behind the scene stuff.

Well, if you had read Quint's reports (not our Quint, the other Quint, from Ain't It Cool News), you would have known that Bilbo and the Dwarves are actually present during a scene where Gandalf and Radagast are speaking.

Well one of them was trying to take of the world with genetically mutated super men (or Orcs) and the other one sleeps in ditches and hangs out with Hobbits. So the third will naturally be a certified lunatic hermit with bird nests growing from his hair.

And don't even get met started on Alatar and Pallando! These two are the worst of the gang!

Well, if you had read Quint's reports (not our Quint, the other Quint, from Ain't It Cool News), you would have known that Bilbo and the Dwarves are actually present during a scene where Gandalf and Radagast are speaking.

And don't even get met started on Alatar and Pallando! These two are the worst of the gang!

They just have the blues, that's all. Blues wizards they are called.

They just have the blues, that's all. Blues wizards they are called.

Alatar And Pallando's Lament - Music By Jazzy J. Jones

A- I'v got the bluuuuuuueeeeeessssssss.

Can you feel the bluuuuueeeeessssss deep inside meeeeeeee??

P- I've got the bluuuuuuueeeeeeeeesssssss.

I don't feel like going to barbecuuuuueeeeeessssss.

A- I've got the bluuuuuuueeeeeessssssss

Let's have some fonduuuuuuuueeeeeeesssssss

P- I've got the bluuuuuueeeeeeeeesssssss

I've got so many issuuuuuuueeeeeeessssssss

A- I've got the bluuuuueeeeeeesssss

Would you lend me some tissuuuuuueeeeessssss??

A&P-We've got the bluuuuuuuuueeeeeeeeeeessssssss

That's why people call us The Bluuuuueeeeeeeeesssssss

And this is our song, a song that came out of the bluuuuuuueeeeeesssssssss!

The Blues Wizard Brothers?

We should not even jest of such things. Internet is a dangerous tool Faleel. We don't know who else might be watching.

*throws a cloth over JWFan forums in fear of Peter Jackson's eye*

o-howard-shore-returning-to-score-the-hobbit-for-peter-jackson.jpg

Wow. Never saw that pic before. That's my next sig for sure.

Was it during King Kong recording sessions? Because that would explain a LOT of things...

No that's from the time of RotK sessions if I remember correctly. Shore looks quite pained and PJ is his usual manic self.

Ah, yes. And I forgot that PJ started melting and lost his glasses during King Kong.

Ah, these were the good ol' days. No bunnies or starfish hairdos to moan about... These were simpler times. Happier times.

gollum.jpg

There's only one good way to film a brace of coneys.

800px-Golden_Eagle_flying.jpg

STUPID FAT JACKSON! HE RUINS IT!

165457-bigthumbnail.jpg

Oh much better.

Maybe we all misinterpret things, and Jackson really wants to push PG 13 by having Radagast's sled pulled by a pair of these rabbits:

ADMIN NOTE: IMAGE REMOVED

Heh most reviewers do not care about the inaccuracies of the story telling but consistently moan about the 48fps and how cheap it makes the film look. Ouch PJ! Ouch film reports and critics!

Are some of these reviewers not taking in to account (or for the sake of being able to criticise, ignoring) the fact that the footage was largely unfinished and ungraded? The scene was Saruman was apparently still just actors against green screen.

We've seen how great it will look in the trailer. It doesn't look like HDTV or, as that last review mentioned, an old Doctor Who episode. The 48fps probably will take some getting used to when we first see it, but I don't think anyone can judge the look of a film based on footage that hasn't even been colour graded yet. Look at raw footage from LOTR - looks pretty rough too.

I'm sure under normal circumstances the journos would absolutely take an unfinished state into consideration. No, this seems alarming. Maybe the final colour grading and various other tinkerings will drastically improve the finished aesthetic, but I still can't help but wonder why Jackson would allow such an apparently substandard work-in-progress to be seen... and dissected by the rabid internets. It makes no sense.

I'd probably chalk that up to a bad judgement call. There's no doubt that this wasn't the right way to show off the new filming technique. Would have been better just showing the trailer, maybe slightly extended, in 48fps 3D. There has been positive feedback as well though.

It's going to look different, but for now I'll trust that PJ and Co will not have gone ahead with this if it was going to make the end result look like it was made for TV. It's not supposed to look like 24fps celluloid but there will be a "normal" version released as well. I'm not a huge fan of 3D anyway so I dare say I'll be watching the 2D 24fps version first and then I'll give it a go in super smooth-o-vision :)

Wow. Never saw that pic before. That's my next sig for sure.

Is it now?...

I'm not a fan of Lord of the Rings. I haven't read any of the books and personally don't like the three films. I personally think they're far too long and the story doesn't compel me enough to invest over nine hours of my life to ever watch them again. That being said, I have no problems acknowledging that they are extremely well crafted films and obviously had a lot of care and attention put into them all headed by a director who never achieved greater before or probably since.

With all that being said, I don't see why he would do the 48fps with these films. If they're supposed to be viewed in unison with the trilogy, wouldn't you want them to visually be similar to the others? While they might be using the same locations and similar set designs, the fps will clearly stand out and detract from the ability to connect the films together. This is the same problem Lucas got into when he decided that the Star Wars films apparently didn't need to build sets any more. Phantom Menace at least visually fits into the series, yet the other two just feel completely out of place and have very few visual connections to the original films. For being such a fan of Star Wars, it seems that Jackson failed to heed the mistakes that Lucas made.

Again, I have no investment in these films so I could care less, but its unfortunate that fans of these films will now have to deal with the same problems that Star Wars fans have to. Personally I'm not too surprised, as other than LOTR, I haven't found any Jackson film particularly amazing or worthy of high praise. Perhaps just like Lucas, Jackson just had a brief period of supreme creativity and achievement.

Since the films are also released in 24 fps, and Jackson didn't go the Lucas way, in any sense, of filming in a complete digital environment, I don't see a problem with visual continuity.

The wonderful places in New Zealand play a major major part, and sets and miniatures are being built just like with LOTR.

There isn't even the faintest reason to worry about visual continuity.

Yep. And the source material is awesome, so the films would be at the very least tolerable, moreso than the prequels.

And the casting is still top notch, while the same can't be said about the prequels.

I'm not a fan of Lord of the Rings. I haven't read any of the books and personally don't like the three films. I personally think they're far too long and the story doesn't compel me enough to invest over nine hours of my life to ever watch them again. That being said, I have no problems acknowledging that they are extremely well crafted films and obviously had a lot of care and attention put into them all headed by a director who never achieved greater before or probably since.

With all that being said, I don't see why he would do the 48fps with these films. If they're supposed to be viewed in unison with the trilogy, wouldn't you want them to visually be similar to the others? While they might be using the same locations and similar set designs, the fps will clearly stand out and detract from the ability to connect the films together. This is the same problem Lucas got into when he decided that the Star Wars films apparently didn't need to build sets any more. Phantom Menace at least visually fits into the series, yet the other two just feel completely out of place and have very few visual connections to the original films. For being such a fan of Star Wars, it seems that Jackson failed to heed the mistakes that Lucas made.

Again, I have no investment in these films so I could care less, but its unfortunate that fans of these films will now have to deal with the same problems that Star Wars fans have to. Personally I'm not too surprised, as other than LOTR, I haven't found any Jackson film particularly amazing or worthy of high praise. Perhaps just like Lucas, Jackson just had a brief period of supreme creativity and achievement.

Some valid points here. Some.

I'm sure under normal circumstances the journos would absolutely take an unfinished state into consideration. No, this seems alarming. Maybe the final colour grading and various other tinkerings will drastically improve the finished aesthetic, but I still can't help but wonder why Jackson would allow such an apparently substandard work-in-progress to be seen... and dissected by the rabid internets. It makes no sense.

Agreed. Even if this was the right way to show off the new film-technique, I am extremely surprised that a high-profile perfectionist like Jackson and his brilliant team would allow anything sub-standard to be shown. But one thing I'm pretty sure about is that after all this negative criticism, Jackson isn't going to let this slide. I'm sure he'll do whatever needs to be done to fix the 48 fps.

And by the way. The trailer looks great, yes, but its in 24 fps right?