I'm officially less interested in the Hobbit now that they have stretched it to 3 films for on book.

This has not been confirmed and its probably not going to happen. It's going to end up being 2 long extended edition cuts.

Although Gollum isn't how I imagined him whilst reading the book (I'd seen the marvellously snarky Bakshi Gollum far too many times before reading it), I still think Weta and Serkis absolutely nailed him for the movie and he's since become my definitive version of the creature, even moreso than anything Tolkien himself ever wrote about him.

Gollum really has become an icon since these movies, which speaks volumes for the execution and appeal of him in the trilogy.

Aye. The film version may not be in accordance to the Tolkien's description and it wasn't how I imagined him when I first read the novels, but its become the definitive appearance for the character - at least for me. Even when I re-read the novels, the film version is precisely what comes in mind. And it was perfect for the film. I also don't agree with the complaints about the eyes. They were a very necessary element to the depiction of Gollum and made Serkis' performance all the more effective. If they stuck with Tolkien's description of the eyes, I don't the impressive schizophrenic scenes could have been pulled off with the same remarkable degree of effectiveness.

Interestingly enough the people making the Hobbit Game want to use something halfway between the Film Version, and the The Rankin/Bass Cartoon version: 200px-The_Hobbit_%282003%29_Gollum.JPG

I think that Gollum has human (er, hobbit) eyes to remain sympathetic, or else the pity shown him by Frodo in TTT would be less believable than it was. They make Gollum scary by his motives and actions, not by just his appearance.

And by shrinking his pupils whenever the Gollum identity takes over.

We know the first film ends when the dwarves escape from the elves. That's approximately 200 pages from the book (out of 300).

Not so fast.

If the decision is made in favour of a third film quick enough, there is more than enough time to rearrange the first film so that it ends earlier than that.

The cartoon version of Gollum creeped me out growing up but he has been replaced, along with all illustrations from the books I had read growing up by Serkis' Gollum. The thing that killed me was the soliloquy at the end of TTT.

I dont understand why gollum has so big eyes, he is suposed to be a twisted hobbit... but his eyes should have remained at the same size.

I't makes you forget he was a hobbit sometimes.

I dont understand why gollum has so big eyes, he is suposed to be a twisted hobbit... but his eyes should have remained at the same size.

I't makes you forget he was a hobbit sometimes.

You don't think 500 years with the One Ring might have something to do with his physical appearance, even the bigger changes.

no, humph.

He should have bigger pupils for living in the dark for so long..

but bigger eyebals.... unlikely :P

he is not as deformed in other aspects: he is skinny (malnutrition), he is balding, and his skin color is wrong for the lack of sun.

otherwise he is just a big headed hobbit.

(why would he develop a bigger brain? ;)

You just don't get it, do you? Why do you think one of Sauron's eyes became so big, if not for the Ring?

no, humph.

He should have bigger pupils for living in the dark for so long..

but bigger eyebals.... unlikely :P

he is not as deformed in other aspects: he is skinny (malnutrition), he is balding, and his skin color is wrong for the lack of sun.

otherwise he is just a big headed hobbit.

(why would he develop a bigger brain? ;)

Oh Manuel you bring so much unnecessary demands of absolute realism into fantasy, even fantasy that is relatively "realistic" like Tolkien's. How do dragons even exist in the natural world like that, or talking trees? Some aspects of this world are not for realism's sake but for other story telling purposes. In the films they followed Tolkien quite closely, even though Gollum ended up being a bit of a deviation in small details. Bulging big eyes certainly, even a bit unnatural in size, can't be that horrid notion to you. :)

P.S. I retain rights to complain and whine about the film depiction of Dwarf beards and hair-dos and other heretical and wrong details unsuitable for Tolkien's world.

From Peter Jackson's Facebook...

It is only at the end of a shoot that you finally get the chance to sit down and have a look at the film you have made. Recently Fran, Phil and I did just this when we watched for the first time an early cut of the first movie - and a large chunk of the second. We were really pleased with the way the story was coming together, in particular, the strength of the characters and the cast who have brought them to life. All of which gave rise to a simple question: do we take this chance to tell more of the tale? And the answer from our perspective as the filmmakers, and as fans, was an unreserved ‘yes.'

We know how much of the story of Bilbo Baggins, the Wizard Gandalf, the Dwarves of Erebor, the rise of the Necromancer, and the Battle of Dol Guldur will remain untold if we do not take this chance. The richness of the story of The Hobbit, as well as some of the related material in the appendices of The Lord of the Rings, allows us to tell the full story of the adventures of Bilbo Baggins and the part he played in the sometimes dangerous, but at all times exciting, history of Middle-earth.

So, without further ado and on behalf of New Line Cinema, Warner Bros. Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Wingnut Films, and the entire cast and crew of “The Hobbit” films, I’d like to announce that two films will become three.

It has been an unexpected journey indeed, and in the words of Professor Tolkien himself, "a tale that grew in the telling."

Cheers,

Peter J

Source: http://www.facebook.com/notes/peter-jackson/an-unexpected-journey/10151114596546558

That's right, it's officially 3 films!

I added the source link to Joe's post

The way I look at it: This means we're getting significantly more Shore music :)

I'm hoping we get to see Liv Tyler's Arwen playing with a significantly younger Aragorn as a child, for no purpose other than to weird out all people who think human and elvish relations are cool.

So now it won't be until sometime in the middle of 2015 that we can get a nice fan edit that just shows the actual story of "The Hobbit" without all the appendix and made-up stuff interspersed

Huh, like maybe he's stripping out all the other stuff, and now parts 1 and 2 will just be The Hobbit story, and 3 will be all the made-up stuff in once place? I can dig that

This is utter nonsense, on the face of it. But they know things about these movies we do not. The threesome writing and directing team know what they're doing.

Perhaps the best way to look at this development is this: don't see it as The Hobbit spread over three movies; but nine hours of awesome brand spanking new big budget Middle Earth material brought to us by very capable hands ;)

It seems like they did the biggest part of the job, and suddenly though: "Oh, oh, we fucked up! We need a third film!"

No no, it's more like "Oh, oh, we can make more money by splitting it into 3 films! Let's do that!'

The cash appeal is obvious, but only a dick head would truly believe they'd risk the quality and integrity of this largely artistic enterprise based on the allure of more dollars in the bank.

You know what's weird? The more scenes they film of random LOTR appendix stuff, the worse off the films will probably be, but the better the Shore score albums will be, I think. For some reason I am almost looking forward to the way he will rework his LOTR music into the new scenes for the old characters more than the all-new underscore he will make for the actual Hobbit plot. Though I do expect that to be extremely amazing as well, of course

It is curious that the annoucement comes now when the first film is coming out in less than 6 months. My concern is that they really don't have 3 movies worth of coherent story to tell and that there is a danger of veering off the mark storywise by including all kind of side story entanglements.

My first thought after reading PJs announcement was "Oh well, the bright side is that we get more of Howard Shore's music." :)

The more I look forward to this new trilogy of Gandalf and crew, the less I care about faithfulness to the source. Heresy? Nah, I just love these characters and the more I get to see of them the better, I say. Moreover, I'm in no doubt whatsoever that the "spirit" of Tolkien will be all over this thing, no matter where they take the story.

I'm genuinely thrilled. I don't care how ridiculous it is to make a trilogy out of LOTR and then make a trilogy out of the Hobbit. It's more Middle Earth, and most importantly it's MORE SHORE. I couldn't be happier about this announcement. It's made my day.

But if they expand these films with bunnies and Nazgûl tombs and irrelevant inanities then PJ has abandoned the path of wisdom. And yes I hate heresy. HARRUMPHHH!!!!!

:pukeface:

I'm gonna have to kick KK's ass.

I bow my head in shame....there's nothing I have to say.

Excuse me, but I'm going to go my dark corner and cry for a bit....