Yeah, sure Fal, sure. It will also have finished effects and all... It's a sneak peek. I'm expecting something like what we had in FOTR and TTT DVDs, with just behind-the-scenes stuff and a few shots here and there. I wouldn't expect any new music if I were you.

If anything, the music would be temp track or one of the unplaced tracks on the SE disc.

Or it will be just SFX like the TTT preview (in which case we will just have to wait for the DOS DVD so we can phase invert the preview audio and get the Isolated music score from the preview sequence)

Which is a big IF, seeing how it could just be a collection of short shots and concept art arranged into a trailer of sorts.

Yeah, but at least with LOTR, they offered some new documentaries. Here, it's just stuff available on the internet. It's like they don't want anybody to buy this edition.

At first, I was interested in buying the film, to get the Theatrical edition, but now I think I'll just wait for the EE, because it might include the TE as well.

The special features on the LOTR TE DVDs were all existing featurettes and stuff that were already created prior to the DVDs. The unique special features made just for DVD didn't turn up till the EE releases.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder if the lack of awards recognition for AUJ as compared to the original trilogy will spur PJ to create more Oscar-worthy moments in DOS and TABA? Like add more drama, remove more jokes, or something?

Do you really think there wasn't filmed just as many bodily fluid/gas related humor for the rest of the films as there was for the first?

Well I will totally agree that the story gets more serious the further away they get from Hobbiton and the closer they get to the Lonely Mountain.... but this is PJ we're talking about here. He had a troll fart on Bilbo and put the Goblin King on a toilet throne

Could be that PJ did not submit the film on time for some awards or it was just snubbed by most serious awards as being more of the same as LotR and LotR was already awarded on the "first run".

Oh I'm sure it was submitted for everything but let's be honest - as much as we all enjoyed the movie, it isn't a stunning cinematic achievement like FOTR was

It's a very fun and enjoyable movie that you enjoy while watching it, but you're not dying to see the next chapter as badly as you were after FOTR

I mean with FOTR you watch this pack of 9 people go through a huge arduous journey where they were chased and/or attacked by a variety of evil forces every turn they took, and 2 members of the party DIED along the way, plus the movie ends with the remaining members split into THREE different groups, with 2 of them facing the most difficult task all alone!

When AUJ ends, everyone in the group is perfectly fine, on top of a mountain hugging each other, after going through a few places where they had comical adventures with some silly villains.

Really only the Gollum sequence was anywhere near transcendant

I agree with you, actually. I think had this story been split into two 3 hour movies as originally intended, each film would have been MUCH stronger than AUJ ended up being, at least in theatrical form.

With the trolls and goblins being so comical, PJ tried really hard to make Azog and the other orcs/ warg-riders a more sinister villain on par with LOTR villains, but he didn't succeed at that IMHO. I wish Azog was dead and wouldn't be appearing in DOS or TABA at all, but he will be.

I can just feel Peter Jackson's disorganised fickleness all over it, to the point that it's distracting. The Lord of the Rings trilogy never goes to great lengths to inadvertently remind me that I'm watching movies made under duress, if you know what I mean.

Oh and Shore's score is 90% MEH, which doesn't help.

AUJ also introduces plot elements that don't get resolved by the end of the movie - Witch King stuff, Dol Goldur stuff, how is Azog alive, etc etc. FOTR didn't have open ended questions. Sure FOTR has an open ending where you don't know what will happen to the characters yet, but it's more of an "end of act one, act 2 will begin after a break" feel..... There were no confusing moments that you are left wondering about later, like in AUJ.

I think Shore's score is 100% great!

Exactly. Despite it's open ending, FOTR really is a very strong self-contained movie. It makes you want to see the story continue, but it doesn't leave you feeling like you've seen an incomplete movie like AUJ does.

I agree with you, actually. I think had this story been split into two 3 hour movies as originally intended, each film would have been MUCH stronger than AUJ ended up being, at least in theatrical form.

With the trolls and goblins being so comical, PJ tried really hard to make Azog and the other orcs/ warg-riders a more sinister villain on par with LOTR villains, but he didn't succeed at that IMHO. I wish Azog was dead and wouldn't be appearing in DOS or TABA at all, but he will be.

About Azog's story...

We are shown that thorin only cut his arm and he was dragged inside the mountain by his minions, alive.

I dont need to be explained why he is alive... it clear he survived the wounds, didnt he?

Azog was shacked up with Shelob for a few years actually after Samwise Gamgee travelled back to the future to wound her - at the same time inadvertently causing a rupture in the space time continuum which made the universe briefly fold in on itself - a phenomenom which Gandalf himself witnessed with his own eyes as he lay in a daze at the summit of Zirak-zigil. But the relatively brief union of convalescence between the orc and the great grumpy spawn of Ungoliant soon proved to be a sham, the final straw of which saw Shelob throw her companion out after he left the toilet seat up yet again. And so it came to pass after wandering aimlessly for a while that he eventually travelled back into the past to renew his old grudge with a stubborn dwarf; the hook on his arm a bitter reminder of the toilet flush handle in Shelob's cosy abode and a love lost.