By having them wipe out the Empire rather easily.

Han, Chewie, Wedge, Lando and Admiral Ackbar wiped it out. The Ewoks provided a needed distraction by throwing rocks and sticks and running around like lil' savages making Indian noises. :(

Besides, there was a point to it all. From the ever accurate Wikipedia:

From Lucasfilm's own documentaries, the origin of the Ewoks is suggested to be more accidental. The dramatic role that the Ewoks played in Return of the Jedi was to demonstrate how the high technology in warfare could be overcome by a primitive people. This was a role originally to have been filled by Wookiees. However, by the time of Return of the Jedi, creator George Lucas believed the Wookiees were now too sophisticated to fulfill this story function, and so a smaller furry alien race was designed. When sketches of the new characters came back looking like teddy bears, Lucas determined to, in his words, "dare to be cute."

Yeah. Dare to be cute!

Han, Chewie, Wedge, Lando and Admiral Ackbar wiped it out. The Ewoks provided a needed distraction by throwing rocks and sticks and running around like lil' savages making Indian noises. ;)  

Besides, there was a point to it all. From the ever accurate Wikipedia:

From Lucasfilm's own documentaries, the origin of the Ewoks is suggested to be more accidental. The dramatic role that the Ewoks played in Return of the Jedi was to demonstrate how the high technology in warfare could be overcome by a primitive people. This was a role originally to have been filled by Wookiees. However, by the time of Return of the Jedi, creator George Lucas believed the Wookiees were now too sophisticated to fulfill this story function, and so a smaller furry alien race was designed. When sketches of the new characters came back looking like teddy bears, Lucas determined to, in his words, "dare to be cute."

Yeah. Dare to be cute!

Yes I know about the Wookies, but the Empire must have had a drastic change since Cloud City because they went from badass to inept idiots and wusses. And that includes Vader

Going back to The Hobbit, After reading interviews with Jackson I kinda get the feeling that with all the time spent on LOTR and King Kong, to include the DVD deluxe editions of all 4 films, he is looking to take some time off and concentrate on smaller projects before he committs himself to something big.

While I'm sure he'd love to do The Hobbit it's probably not something he wants to do right now.

It all seems a bit messy.

This all does mean that if another director does The Hobbit, no matter now good a job he will do, EVEN BETTER THEN JACKSON COULD....

It would just get trashed anyway by these Internet fan geekswho are outraged that their fav Hobbit like film maker was robbed.

These people have the same mentality of the Lucas defenders that claim only Lucas was the right choice for directing the Prequels

Ypu see, normal film fans, normal Tolkien fans, normal PJ fans don't rally their troops to go up in arms against New Line.

They read the story in the news, say "Well, that's unfortunate", and go on with their lives.

• 1 month later...

Another shot fired in the Hobbit War:

Shaye: New Line Blacklists Jackson

In the latest comment in the controversy surrounding a proposed movie based on J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit, New Line head Robert Shaye told SCI FI Wire in no uncertain terms that the studio won't work with Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson on that film or any other film. Ever. At least not as long as Shaye is in charge.

Shaye's comments marked the first time a New Line executive has commented publicly on the fracas since Jackson announced that he has pulled out of the project and also appears to harden New Line's position against Jackson.

"I do not want to make a movie with somebody who is suing me," Shaye—New Line's chief executive officer—said in an interview on Jan. 5 while promoting The Last Mimzy, a New Line family fantasy that marks his first time in a director's chair since 1990's Book of Love. "It will never happen during my watch."

Jackson had told TheOneRing.net in November that he and partner Fran Walsh were bowing out after New Line, which produced the Rings films and has production rights to The Hobbit, told them the studio was moving ahead with The Hobbit without them. Jackson has said he won't discuss The Hobbit until a lawsuit against New Line over Rings accounting practices is settled.

As far as Shaye is concerned, Jackson is no longer welcome. "There's a kind of arrogance," Shaye said. "Not that I don't think Peter is a good filmmaker and that he hasn't contributed significantly to filmography and made three very good movies. And I don't even expect him to say 'thank you' for having me make it happen and having New Line make it happen. But to think that I, as a functionary in [a]company that has been around for a long time, but is now owned by a very big conglomerate, would care one bit about trying to cheat the guy, ... he's either had very poor counsel or is completely misinformed and myopic to think that I care whether I give him [anything]."

Shaye, who was also an executive producer on the Rings films, added: "He got a quarter of a billion dollars paid to him so far, justifiably, according to contract, completely right, and this guy, who already has received a quarter of a billion dollars, turns around without wanting to have a discussion with us and sues us and refuses to discuss it unless we just give in to his plan. I don't want to work with that guy anymore. Why would I? So the answer is he will never make any movie with New Line Cinema again while I'm still working for the company."

Shaye said that many of the Rings trilogy actors "suddenly, because, I'm guessing, of Peter's complaint," have declined to participate in celebrating New Line's 40th anniversary. "I'm incredibly offended," he said. "I don't care about Peter Jackson anymore. He wants to have another $100 million or $50 million, whatever he's suing us for. He doesn't want to sit down and talk about it. He thinks that we owe him something after we've paid him over a quarter of a billion dollars. ... Cheers, Peter."

New Line's hardened position against Jackson isn't the end of the story, of course. MGM, which owns the distribution rights to The Hobbit, on Nov. 20 told Variety through a spokesman that "the matter of Peter Jackson directing the Hobbit films is far from closed."

In his own online statement, Jackson said that New Line executive Mark Ordesky, who shepherded the Rings trilogy, argued that New Line is dumping Jackson because the studio has a "limited time option" on the film rights, obtained from Saul Zaentz.

Well, I need to see more facts to give an opinion on who's right or wrong on the whole LotR money issue. But New Line just dumping Jackson on The Hobbit is indeed very bad form.

If Peter Jackson is "arrogant", then what does that make this Shaye fellow? :wave:

...The man we can blame for Nightmare on Elm Street 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7?

If Peter Jackson is "arrogant", then what does that make this Shaye fellow? :|

...The man we can blame for Nightmare on Elm Street 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7?

:wave:

He is in no position to criticize Jackson and his films.

PJ Strikes Back:

Jackson Responds To Shaye

Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson released a statement saying that he found "regrettable" comments made by New Line Cinema chief Robert Shaye to SCI FI Wire that Jackson would never work for the studio again under his watch.

In an interview, Shaye—New Line's chief executive officer—told SCI FI Wire, "I do not want to make a movie with somebody who is suing me," referring to Jackson and his legal action concerning accounting practices for Jackson's Lord of the Rings films. "It will never happen during my watch."

Jackson's complete statement follows:

"Our issue with New Line Cinema has only ever been about their refusal to account for financial anomalies that surfaced from a partial audit of The Fellowship of the Ring. Contrary to recent comments made by Bob Shaye, we attempted to discuss the issues raised by the Fellowship audit with New Line for over a year, but the studio was and continues to be completely uncooperative. This has compelled us to file a lawsuit to pursue our contractual rights under the law. Nobody likes taking legal action, but the studio left us with no alternative.

"For over two years, New Line has denied us the ability to audit The Two Towers and The Return of the King, despite repeated requests. Film auditing is a common and straightforward practice within the industry, and we don't understand why New Line Cinema has taken this position.

"In light of these circumstances, I didn't think it was appropriate for me to be involved in New Line Cinema's 40th-anniversary video. I have never discussed this video with any of the cast of The Lord of the Rings. The issues that Bob Shaye has with the cast pre-date this lawsuit by many years.

"Fundamentally, our legal action is about holding New Line to its contractual obligations and promises. It is regrettable that Bob has chosen to make it personal. I have always had the highest respect and affection for Bob and other senior management at New Line and continue to do so."

This is all pettiness on both sides. Jacko made plenty of money, and SHaye didn't need to take it public.

But frankly, is Jackson going to be missed on the Hobbit? His directorial style isn't exactly a winning formula, and has been considered the weakest part of an otherwise excellent LOTR series.

• 1 month later...

Meh. I like The Evil Dead films and The Quick and the Dead, but I didn't like the Spider-Man films, so I'm not convinced by his ability to handle big-scale CGI epics...

I'm one of the few on this board who actually think the Spiderman films are very good.

But this is an old rumor and from what I understand there's no way New Line will get this film made before the rights expire and revert back to a person/company who wants Peter Jackson to make it.

I'm one of the few on this board who actually think the Spiderman films are very good.

I agree, except for Kirsten Dunst. I can't stand her or her character. Peter Parker should look more at dating that cute Betty Brant.

Oy. That's all I have to say.

Morlock- who loves A Simple Plan, but thinks the Spiderman films are very forgettable (though they do have some excellent scenes, they have some terrible ones as well).

I don't regret seeing the Spider-Man films when they came out, and I'll most likely see the next one, but I really don't think they're anything special. I would like a film of The Hobbit to be something special.

I'm a big fan of the Evil Dead Sam Raimi, but he's not done anything since to make me believe he would be capable of adapting The Hobbit. Besides, this rumour is old and likely very dead. What a story like this needs is someone who is superb at filming spectacle, whimsy and character. So that's someone like James Cameron out. He only scores one point - a great action director but could do better in the character area. Ridley Scott could be interesting but again, even though the movie would look gorgeous, he is yet to prove himself in family fantasy. Legend was decent enough, but totally forgettable and probably a bit too dark for a lot of children. My point being that there aren't many directors out there who have the whole package required for this film. Spielberg on the otherhand might indeed be worthy: He has a proven track record for knowing what the audience wants and he appears to have matured greatly in terms of filming characters. If I had to pick a big name it would be him. Plus we would possibly have another classic Williams score on our hands. Oh and I'm talking big names because that is what Raimi is.

But none of this really matters because New Line won't get it off the ground anyway, thus MGM will offer PJ the golden deal of DOOM!

Scott could be great. I don't think he'd make it too dark. It's supposed to be scary for kids, anyway.

Fun scary is good, downright disturbing is wrong! As a child it took me months to shake the image of Tim Curry with horns out of my nightmares :eek::P

Scott could be great. I don't think he'd make it too dark. It's supposed to be scary for kids, anyway.

Yeah but the music would suck because he'd probably use Zimmer or hire a good composer and then butcher the score in post-production.

Raimi is no Jackson, but I think that he might do a good job. I consider the Spider-Man series (in the comic book film genre) to be one of the few that has maintained a degree of goodness. 'Course, Nolan's Batman films are likely to change that.

Scott is a good choice, but he couldn't be light-hearted if his life depended on it. Even the fairies in Legend were disturbing.

Me too. I consider them to be some of the best comic book movies around (though I have to add that, as in pretty much all cases, I don't know the original comics).

I'm not convinced Raimi would be right for Tolkien though.