Recommend me Tchaikovsky

Vaderbait1

I'm a big fan of Tchaikovsky (What I've heard anyways), but I'm limited in my knowledge of what he does, or even the organization of classical work.

For example: I love the 1812 Overture. But is this part of a greater piece? I guess the best analogy I can think of would be: Is the 1812 Overture merely a track on a full score? Or is it a standalone piece? Because there's a few other pieces of music that sound very similar to 1812, and I'm basically ignorant in the orgnization of classical music.

And my second question is: What are some of the best recordings of Tchaikovsky's work?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I only have a couple Tchaikovsky "Greatest Hits" CDs, I don't know much about his work at all. I've never gotten into any of his symphonies. Maybe I'll give his 4th, 5th and 6th another try... Anyway, from these compilations, I really like "None But The Lonely Heart" and Andante Cantabile (orchestral version) from String Quartet No 1. I don't know if NBTLH is from a larger work or not.

Jeff

I really enjoy his Capriccio Italien and of course Romeo and Juliet is astounding. If you can find a complete recording of The Nutcracker, it is great.

I love Symphonies 4, 5 and 6 (which are broken up into 4 movements each FYI). These are the Symphonies where he famously struggles with his "Fate," that which being his homosexuality. When people talk of "sublime" music, this is the music they refer to. And it wasn't written that long ago -- just over 100 years or so.

My favourite is 5-mvt-2. A beautiful love theme on the horn, I don't know why he shied away from homosexuality if this is what he conceived of it musically.

I love the 6th, Especially the 3rd movement. The background 16th triple patterns drive me nuts in a good way.

The LSO has a wonderful Nutcracker out there that I got my hands on. Has basically everything, not just the suite. Romeo and Juliet, while he never acctually based off of the story, is still beautiful. March Slav is neat. Did it one year in a marching show acctually. Swan Lake has it's moments. Piano Concerto #1 is interesting. Not my favorite piece of piano work, but good. Panorama from Sleeping Beauty is also nice...a little repetitive at times though.

Really, most Tchaikovsky is worth at least one listen. My favorite orchestra for his work is Chicago Symphony Orchestra under Sir George Solti. There are a few CD's of him doing various Tchaikovsky work. 1812 overture is a standard Erich Kunzel and Cincinnati Pops Orchestra piece.

Can't go wrong with LSO recordings though. Glad to see you found Tchaikovsky!

~JW

"Overture" doesn't necessarily mean that it's the opening movement of a larger work, like overtures to suites, ballets, operas etc. A concert overture is basically a (not too long) self-contained work in a somewhat free form. I think the 1812 overture was written for an first performed at a festive occasion (celebration of Napoleon's defeat in Russia), so it's comparable in character to Williams pieces like "Liberty fanfare" etc.

If you can find a complete recording of The Nutcracker, it is great.

I have a recording by Williams and the BPO. First CD I ever got. I must have been about 6 or 7 years old. :)

Not complete, though, just the suite.

I need to get myself a recording of the full Nutcracker. There's so much great music not featured in the suite. But Marche Slav has always been my favorite Tchiakovsky piece.

The Nutcracker contains some of Tchaik's most beautiful miniature pieces. Home Alone would have sounded quite different had Williams never heard the Sugar Plum Fairy!

Next go for the 6th symphony. The second subject of movement 1 is absolutely a tear jerker!

Symphony 4 next, for that amazingly powerful brass opening! It comes back right at the end of the last movement too! Ooooooh! Shivers up the spine when it happens.

The 1st piano concerto is one of the most famous in the repertoire.

For a laugh check out the Karajan recording of 1812 overture on DG (on the "originals" series, coupled with Rimsky Korsakov's Scheherazade). Instead of the string quartet at the beginning he uses a large Russian male voice choir. They are SO out of tune and ghastly sounding it's hilarious! :)

Piano concerto 1 with Van Cliburn, chicago. The best recording of any piece I have ever heard.

By the way anyone notice David Raskin's music sounds alot like Rachmaninoffs?