"Care of the old folks home"?

A debate has arisen at another forum I frequent as to what exactly Obi-Wan says when he first contacts the Jedi Council from Kamino. Many have claimed he says, "R4, scramble a Code 5 to Coruscant, care of the old folks home". I can't remember this specifically, can you?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the 'old foke's home' which is jedi lingo for "the Jedi Council" with all those old guys sitting around looking at each other. :music:

I thought I would help you guys with this one since I have the screen play which is in the book Art of Star Wars: Attack of the Clones.

Scene 082

Obi-Wan: Arfour, relay this, "scramble code five," to Coruscant: care of "the old folks home."

ARFOUR BEEPS and WHISTLES. The panel lights up ...........

Anyway you get the point so yeah it's in the movie! :music:

Code? Hell, I thought he was just making fun of the fact that they're older than him, specifically Yoda. I just caught the line the third time I saw it.

Well, I guess it could be perceived both ways. It could be code or it could be Obi-Wan's playfulness.

Dan - who is pleased to read Kevin is interested in writing..........(Dan2: always thinking...)

That's a good point...could be both. Probably is. Obiwan does have a pretty good sense of humor, it seems...

Kevin - who is pleased that Dan is pleased about his writing...it's something that he's always done and has been interested in...

Yes. Obi-Wan used to be my favorite character until I discovered how incredibly Anakin was. He is so intriguing.

Dan - who is pleased that Kevin is pleased with him being pleased and who also does what he's always dreamt of doing: making movies

When I saw the film last Thursday I thought I was just imagining it, until I saw it again on Sunday. That's what he says. There were a few laughs that second viewing, but most still don't seem to catch it.

The first audience I saw it with, didn't laugh much. Only when Obi-Wan says a certain thing as they walk into a bar, following Zam. The rest of the excitement, of course, was at the end duels.

The second audience, however, reacted throughout the entire film -- especially at the Threepio one-liners and the duels. They certainly went bonkers during the 20th Century Fox/Lucasfilm, Ltd. opening, and then, of course, the "Main Title" was a raucous cheer that never ended until the 2nd paragraph scrolled up.

Dan - who got goosebumps every time with the entire theatre reacted to something onscreen.

Theory:

:arrow:

That line from Obi-Wan could be much more important then you realise. In stead of merely joking or using code...he could also be sarcastic. Why? Because what he says about the Council and the Jedi in general is true :!:

It has been said so in the movie: The Jedi are diminishing, their numbers tumbling, not enough new recruits and so you end up with more old people. Yoda himself in the movie said something to the extend of: "If people find out the Jedi are weakening more would join the seperatists". Why? Because the Republic without enough Jedi and without an army is defenseless, and is basically a sitting duck. Also Yoda said things like: "Blind we are" and "Our powers are diminishing". Perhaps meaning much more then first we would like to think.

Obviously, the Jedi are no longer that vigorous and powerfull as they used to be.

I think a lot of people don't realise yet, how incredibly rich the underlying story is, it's actually the best when it comes to that in the entire saga. A huge amount of things are being said and shown here, much more then you first realise.

Just one small example that you can actually see: If you pay close attention to the Clone Transports, there are these round outport guns attached to the ships with clones inside shooting lasers. Does that remind you of something? If you carefully watch the laser, you see it is constructed from three smaller lasers joined in a knot to produce one big laser. Deathstar anyone? This movie is chokfull of that sort of thing, this was just a tiny example about a small foreshadowing detail (lot of that in here), but way more important things are being shown and talked about, even historical things and entire plotlines.

Well, that was part of the problem. I've also mentioned this in my pro's and con's list of AOTC. It's all a bit chaotic, but I must also say that it gets less and less chaotic with each experience. And if that's the case it doesn't really matter anymore, I think, on the long run.

So, in the end, the fan wins after understanding the story more and more.

However, for the average cinema visitor, this could be a different story all together, for them the storyline and other elements are more problematic to understand. The fans will understand it in time, but they will not.

All 3 times I've seen the movie so far, I noticed that Obi-Wan said "R4 Scramble Code 5 to Coruscant, care of the old folk's home", and all 3 times I got that he was just being sarcastic, and that R4 knew what he meant. I don't think it was supposed to be a code.

All 3 times nobody in the audience laughed at all!!

Overall, audiences I've been with have laughed the most at "Anakin you'll always be that little boy I knew on Tattooine", and made the most noise during Yoda's fighting scenes (except opening night when the most noise was at the Lucasfilm logo).

-Jason, who personally laughs the most at those goddamn Watermellon-looking creatures in the Naboo Meadow! They're like 2% head, 8% legs, and 90% ass!

You mean the scene where they almost burst into "The Hills are Alive...." They did look like a couple people I have met (the space cows I mean)

"R4, scramble a Code 5 to Coruscant, care of the old folks home".

Yes, I heard that loud and clear in the one time that I saw the film, but I almost missed it because in my head I was listening for the line that I read in that gray, $35 Star Wars book of concept art for Episode II that had the annotated screenplay in the back.

The line read:

"Guiding Light to Old Folks Home."

It could've been "Guiding Light calling Old Folks Home," too, but the point remains the same.

So I'm guessing that those are the Star Wars equivalent of code names, like in Top Gun or something.

Just thought ya might want to know.