Lost in Space (John Williams) - Complete Scores

King Mark

Cue list (UPDATE 25 AUGUST 2013)

All tracks are La La Land 40th Anniversary Set Disk 1 (Better sound)unless otherwise noted(**):

A)The Reluctant Stowaway.

1-Lost in Space:Main title Season 1
2-Smith's Entrance
3-**JUDO CHOP(Irwin Allen Box Set Disk 1:Smith's Evening/Judo Chop/On the Pad/Count Down:2.47-4.11)
4-Final Countdown
5-Escape Velocity/Meteor Sorm
6-**ROBOT CONTROL(Irwin Allen Box Set Disk 1:Escape Velocity/Robot Control/Meteor Storm Defrosting:2.24-3.34)
7-Weightless Waltz
8-Monster Rebels
9-Walk in Space /To Be continued

10-**ALTERNATE TO BE CONTINUED (Irwin Allen Set Disk 1 The Monster Rebels/A Walk in Space/Finale:7.13-End)
11-End Titles Season 1

B)Island in the Sky

12-Strange Planet/John's Decent
13-**SUITING UP(Irwin Allen Box Set Disk 1 Suiting Up/Stranglehold/The Landing/Search for John:0.00-2.06)
14-Strangle Hold/Landing

15-Helmet It
16-Lil' Will and the Robot
17-Search for John
18-Monkey's Doo
19-Operation Rescue
20-Personnal Chauffeur/Electric Sagebrush/Will Threatened

C)The Hungry Sea

21-Earthquake

22-**CHARIOT TITLES (Irwin Allen Box Set Disk 1 Chariot Titles/Farenheight a GoGo/Chariot Continues/SunStorm:0.00-1.05)
23-**FARENHEIGHT A GO-GO (Irwin Allen Box Set Disk 1 Chariot Titles/Farenheight a GoGo/Chariot Continues/SunStorm:1.05-2.36)
24-Rising Temperature/Boring Company/Don's Ray's
25-Warming Rays/Sun Storm
26-**MORNING AFTER AND THE INLAND SEA(Irwin Allen Box Set Disk 1:Morning After/the Inland Sea/Land Ho/Strange Visitor:0.00-5.27)
27-Land Ho/Kids Play Off

D)My Friend Mr Nobody

28-Lost in Space :Main Titles Season 3
29-Lost in Space:Season 3 Bumper

30-Wonderland Discovery(LaLaLand Track 20 Edit)

31-**HAIRSTYLE BOOK/PENNY'S FRIEND/DIAMONDS/DIAMOND PLAY OFF(Irwin Allen Vol. 3 Track 13)

32-**PENNY'S CAVE/TO THE CAVE(Irwin Allen Vol. 3, Track 14 Edit)

33-Gathering Wildflowers (LaLaLand Track 20 Edit)

34-**MOVING ROCKS (Irwin Allen Vol. 3, Track 14 Edit)

35-**MOTHER AND DAUGHTER (Irwin Allen Vol. 3,Track 15 Edit)

36-Penny's Problem(LaLaLand Track 20 Edit)

37-STORM COMING(Irwin Allen LIS Vol 3 Track 16 , 0.00-1.30)
38-A New Galaxy(LaLaLand track 21 Edit)
39-End Titles Season 3

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm missing Vol III from GNP.

Me too.

Good work on the cue lists, King Mark! I have the Irwin Allen box set as well as the 40th anniversary CDs but never got round to working out which cues to cut and paste from the various releases to get the most complete scores possible.

;)

releases:

GNP Irwin Allen Box Set Disk 1

GNP LIS Vol 3

La La Land 40th Anniversary 2 C.D. Set.

You need all these to make the complete scores.

I believe it's mono recordings

K.M.

On a side note,Season 3 Bumper is really cool...only a few notes but so JW.I actually remember it from the show when it was on TV,but could never catch it in time to record it with a tape recorder when I was small

The beginning of Walk in Space is a cue I always wondered why it wasn't on the GNP sets(this motif sounds exactly like one in Goldsmith's The Burbs)....and the end of Don's Rays too.I looove all the hyperdramatic pre-commercial music and cliffhanger music(To Be Continued,Will Threatened...),really some of JW's best edge of your seat stuff ever.

K.M.Who started the only real JW thread of the day

You know I was listening to this today.The La La Land tracks sound excellent and the score arranged this way in it's complete form now ranks very high on my Top Williams list.There is some great music in there.

k.m.

The GNP cds are from the original mono source material, for the most part, but I'm sure they have been synthetically enhanced into a stereo sound stream.

KM, do the LaLa recordings sound better, in your opinion?

And to Stefancos...Have you heard some of this music? If you haven't then I'd have a listen, if I were you. Some of it is really inspired, especially the themes written for the episode "My Friend Mr. Nobody."

Edit: P.S. Bloody good job Mark...a true fan if ever there was one!

I haven't liestened to this since earlier this year, when the Lalaland disc was released.

But I think that the recordings aren't the same, which will explain if some sound better than others.

For sync reasons, there was a lot of re-scoring, much of it condcuted by Lionel Newman.

I should check the cd notes, as I think they are pretty good in that respect.

I'll get back on that later.

And great work Mark ;)

Miguel, who feels that KM should be awarded JWFan.net member of the year

Interesting.John Williams originated Dr Smith's motif(Smith's Entrance,On the Pad),but it was developped by other composers into a more comedic version .

There is still uncredited music at the beginning of the episode There Were Giants in the Earth(Season 1 Episode 4),not appearing on c.d. 2 but that sounds like JW.Maybe there was some leftover stuff from the first 2 scores they used there or it was partially scored by JW.

K.M.

• 1 year later...

Questions:

6-ROBOT CONTROL(Irwin Allen Box Set Disk 1:Escape Velocity/Robot Control/Meteor Storm Defrosting:2.24-3.34)

Should we edit Robot Control in between Escape Velocity and Meteor Storm from the Lalaland disc?

The Hungry Sea

19)CHARIOT TITLES (Irwin Allen Box Set Disk 1 Chariot Titles/Farenheight a GoGo/Chariot Continues/SunStorm:0.00-1.05)

On the CDs there's the track "Earthquake" that precedes this...?

Also, do you know where "Helmet It" should go (before or after Suiting up)? Or is that an alternate or so for "Suiting Up"?

Questions:

6-ROBOT CONTROL(Irwin Allen Box Set Disk 1:Escape Velocity/Robot Control/Meteor Storm Defrosting:2.24-3.34)

Should we edit Robot Control in between Escape Velocity and Meteor Storm from the Lalaland disc?

C)The Hungry Sea

19)CHARIOT TITLES (Irwin Allen Box Set Disk 1 Chariot Titles/Farenheight a GoGo/Chariot Continues/SunStorm:0.00-1.05)

On the CDs there's the track "Earthquake" that precedes this...?

Also, do you know where "Helmet It" should go (before or after Suiting up)? Or is that an alternate or so for "Suiting Up"?

I forgot Earthquake.I re-placed it.

i just placed Robot Control after Escape Velocity/Meteor Storm as a seperate cue.

Thanks for your reply. An updated editing guide is below.

- Does the "Helmet It" cue come after "Suiting Up"?

- I put "Earthquake" before "Chariot Titles", because that's where it goes on the GNP CD. Of course, I haven't seen the episodes so if I'm wrong someone please tell me.

i just placed Robot Control after Escape Velocity/Meteor Storm as a seperate cue.

- I edited it in myself. (I didn't go to the trouble for the last episode, because the Lalaland tracks seem the same as the GNP Vol 3 tracks (thus no library rerecordings), with approximately the same sound quality.)

Alternate to Be Continued (Irwin Allen Set Disk 1 The Monster Rebels/A Walk in Space/Finale:7.13-End)

- Finally: I put this after "Land Ho/Kid's Play-Off", because that cue actually features this "To Be Continued" version on the GNP release, but featured an alternate on the Lalaland release (which is used here). This placement fills that gap, provides for a nice conclusion for this episode's music, and avoids the repetition of having two almost identical "To Be Continued" cues right after one another on the "Reluctant Stowaway" score.

Here's the track list/editing guide:

(All tracks from Lalaland release unless otherwise noted.)

(DISC ONE)

01 Main Title Season 1

02 Smith's Entrance

03 Judo Chop [VOL 1: 2:47-4:11]

04 Final Countdown

05 Escape Velocity / Robot Control / Meteor Storm [edit: VOL 1: 2:24-3:34 edited in Lalaland track]

06 Weightless Waltz

07 Monster Rebels

08 Walk in Space / To Be Continued

09 Main Title Season Two (Unused) [Warren Barker]

10 Strange Planet / John's Descent

11 Suiting Up [VOL 1: 0:00-2:06]

12 Helmet It

13 Strangele Hold / The Landing

14 Lil' Will and the Robot

15 Search for John

16 Monkey's Doo

17 Operation Rescue

18 Personal Chauffeur / Electric Sagebrush / Will Is Threatened

19 End Titles Season One

(DISC TWO)

20 Main Title Season Three

21 Earthquake

22 Chariot Titles / Farenheit a Go-Go [VOL 1: 0:00-2:36]

23 Temperature Rising / Boring Company / Don's Rays

24 Warming Rays / Sun Storm

25 Morning After / The Inland Sea [VOL 1: 0:00-5:27]

26 Land Ho / Kid's Play-Off

27 To Be Continued (Alternate) [VOL 1 track 5: 7:13-end]

28 Season Three Bumper

29 Wonderland Discovery [VOL 3]

30 Hairstyle Book / Penny's Friend / Diamonds [VOL 3]

31 Penny's Cave / Gathering Wild Flowers / Moving Rocks [VOL 3]

32 Mother & Daughter / Penny's Problem [VOL 3]

33 Storm Coming Up / New Galaxy [edit of VOL 3: 0:00-1:30 + Lalaland track]

34 Season Three End Title

Nice thing here is that there's exactly one opener and one closing cue for each episode.

Thanks again for all your work KM!

• 3 years later...

Thanks for all you guys' work, I am excited to assemble me some complete and chronological Lost in Space :)

These scores seem so unappreciated here.

And how many scores outside the selected few get any appreciation here?

I's true that Lost in Space is not mentioned often but mostly because most of the younger fans have never heard of these TV-scores. It is really wonderful material that is highly entertaining but also challeging. There are melodies but most of the time it is not in the extremely direct and immeadiate way of SW or Indiana Jones and it is up to Williams to describe musically the alieness of space and what a success it is even though he did not have a full symphonic ensemble at his disposal.

Truly great work with the list KM! :thumbup:

P.S. I am also missing the Vol. 3 of Lost in Space, much to my annoyance when I did a comparison of what should be on the complete version and what's missing.

• 2 years later...

I am curious about something:

Does the Lost In Space 40th Anniversary Edition soundtrack contain ALL of the music that was released on the Volume 1, 2, 3, and The Fantasy Worlds of Irwin Allen set releases?

Do the other sets contain music not on the 40th anniversary set?

Good question.

I never got the 40th set since I already had the Allen box and the Vol. 3 disc that came separately (both of those combined contain all of Williams' music for the series). I don't know if they omitted some of the cues for the 40th set.

King Mark will be the better source, but for some reason, I think all releases are needed... maybe I'm wrong.

Actually, I should go back to those scores. Haven't listened to them in ages and they are just awesome.

I used to hate most of it, but the LLL set grows on me every time I hear it. Some very cool ways of depicting the loneliness of space, and a very different approach to JW's later sci-fi scores.

this might help you: http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11644&hl=lost

It seems like in the 1960's the quality of TV music was exceptional. I am listening to the Star Trek OST scores and they are really strong. I think the JW Lost in Space music is very strong as well and has many of his mature style fingerprints on display.

John created two magical themes for the show. I can play them in my mind with no effort. I still remember the day the show premiered. The show, the music, the Jupiter 2. It set me on a path through life. It amazes me that the show and the music is approaching 50 years old. Miguel is correct the score is awesome, not just the themes. Johnny knew what he was doing. Still does.

Yes you really need all the releases to create the most complete versions of all Williams scored episode scores. KM is really the expert here.

And outside the catchy main themes the music is more atmospheric and motivic than heavily thematic and as indy4 said has a unique feel to it as it creates a lot of the mystery, strangeness and danger of space travel but the scores do have just about everything from suspense to comedy in them. Good stuff. :)

Ah, there you go. Seems like the box and Vol. 3 weren't enough in themselves, after all. Oh well, I'm pleased with what I've got. It's quite a demanding listen, these scores -- but ultimately rewarding. Incidentally, here's my evaluation of the episodes themselves, and Williams' music:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=60348&forumID=1&archive=0

I have to agree with the above. Lost in Space is what got me interested in John Williams and yet I find this music so very different from say Munich, Memoirs, or any of his output from the last decade.The theme is 60's cheesy but all the incidental music is superb. In fact the music makes the TV series. if you took it out it would be so boring and empty. I also like the occasional use of guitar and synthesizer... all very 60's but I think original none the less. I really like the hungry sea music _clearly here JW spirit in this. All so the dramatic music when the spaceship lands on the plannet... chimes and brass. When you think about it there are no tv series like star trek etc anymore so this kind of scoring doesnt really exist anymore. I guess the closest you get is Lost....

I have to agree with the above. Lost in Space is what got me interested in John Williams and yet I find this music so very different from say Munich, Memoirs, or any of his output from the last decade.The theme is 60's cheesy but all the incidental music is superb. In fact the music makes the TV series. if you took it out it would be so boring and empty. I also like the occasional use of guitar and synthesizer... all very 60's but I think original none the less. I really like the hungry sea music _clearly here JW spirit in this. All so the dramatic music when the spaceship lands on the plannet... chimes and brass. When you think about it there are no tv series like star trek etc anymore so this kind of scoring doesnt really exist anymore. I guess the closest you get is Lost....

WHICH theme (main title I'm assuming) is cheesy? Williams wrote 2 themes for the show, after all.

Someone at FSM posted this, as a response to KM's guide:

A few years ago I tried those instructions for The Hungry Sea, and found that he got it wrong, much as I appreciate his contributions.

First of all, "Earthquake" goes at the beginning, not the middle. GNP Track 8 and LLL Track 16 have the same content. The LLL sounds a little better. So "The Hungry Sea" should start with LLL Track 16.

Second, what's up with stopping GNP Track 9 at 1:05 and then resuming right there at 1:05? It's a misprint.

King mark's plan also leaves out the cliffhanger ending heard on GNP Track 10. Figuring out how to correctly assemble the cues after "Earthquake" is maddening.

The GNP Volume One Tracks:
08. Earthquake (2:44)
09. Chariot Titles... (3:43)
10. Morning After... (7:55)
Total time 14:22

The LLL Tracks:
16. Earthquake (2:45)
17. Temperature Rising... (4:08)
18. Warming Rays/Sun Storm (3:00)
19. Land Ho/Kid's Play-Off (2:36)
Total time 12:29

Hi, king mark. I just played my pre-recorded video of The Hungry Sea to make sure. "Earthquake" plays over the teaser, before the main title. So it should be listed first.

Incidentally, the teaser itself lasts 2:45, meaning Williams scored it wall-to-wall with "Earthquake." smile.gif And the "Chariot Titles" music starts immediately after the main title.

from FSM.