'Munich' and John Wayne?

Elmo Lewis

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nuh-uh. Probably a different John Wayne (although none of the others listed on the imdb would seem to have anythign to do with Munich, either).

While we're on the subject- anyone know why Spielberg got a special thanks credit on Titus?

While we're on the subject of inexplicable credits, does anybody know why Johnny got a "thanks" in the credits of An Inconvenient Truth (according to imdb, at any rate)? I haven't seen the doc just yet, does he make an appearence?

Oh, and while I've been a lurker around here for ages, I believe this may be my first post, in which case :)

• 1 year later...

Wow, three separate questions, and no one has a clue. Seems about right. :blink:

P.S. Check this out! It's not to John Wayne himself (he's been 30 years in his grave, after all) but to some cancer foundation and to Wayne Enterprises. God knows why.

It's curious, because in the book, Avner had childhood fantasies about becoming John Wayne.

I was just about to point that out. In the book being John Wayne was a big deal with young Avner...it might just be a nice nod to the book.

While we're on the subject of inexplicable credits, does anybody know why Johnny got a "thanks" in the credits of An Inconvenient Truth (according to imdb, at any rate)? I haven't seen the doc just yet, does he make an appearence?

Oh, and while I've been a lurker around here for ages, I believe this may be my first post, in which case :P

Don't know the answer to your question, but welcome! ;)

Forgive my foggy recollection, but...

In The Making of 1941, Spielberg talked about how he had met John Wayne at Joan Crawford's funeral (I'm pretty sure it was Crawford; Spielberg had worked with her on a TV project). They became friends and spoke on the phone occasionally. When Spielberg started working on 1941, he sent Wayne the script (because he was considering him for Stilwell, the role that later went to Robert Stack). Wayne was very offended by the script, felt it was anti-American, and tried to convince Spielberg not to make the film. But, for better or worse, he made it anyway, and they remained friends and just never spoke about it again.

So, there was probably some experience or something that Wayne had shared with Spielberg that he felt helped him on the film in some way, I suppose.