A cool forum with some JW demos as samples

pi

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's scary how it begins to resemble live recording. I hope i doesn't mean these mockups will replace some day actual orchestra. A picture of Williams conducting against nothing from the other recent thread is not so far away after all. :)

Nice job!

Karol

In many situations samples will not work as well as having a real orchestra, really depends on the cue. But even today much more than what you probably realize is made with samples. I have done several feature film scores done 100% with samples (except for a few vocals) now, and I will say that most "normal" moviegoers can't tell the difference, or just don't notice it. I was even asked on more than one occasion which orchestra recorded the score...

I would really prefer to record everything but unfortunately many producers see the great thing about using samples as it gives them more flexibility and saves a lot of money too. Big budget movies will still go for real recordings in the future I believe, but low budget (like, pretty much every movie in Denmark is compared to the US for example) will see the benefits in this. And it's not just a bad thing. Movies that might have gone for a "cheap" score done with a synth or two, now has the opportunity to get full orchestral scores, which complements the movie better than the synth score would have. And makes the production sound more expensive than it is:)

EDIT: I hadn't actually listened to the Episode two demos... went there, and they sound NOTHING like the real thing. They are really poor demos with samples and don't showcase how close you can get with samples at all. But they are done using a very inexpensive sample set so what can you expect.

Bring it on!

I really cannot see the downside. Once sample software becomes indistinguisable from a live orchestral performance that is.

Think about it, no more re-use fees, we will get every last note every time!

And the performance is always perfect! Well, sort of.

Karol

EDIT: I hadn't actually listened to the Episode two demos... went there, and they sound NOTHING like the real thing. They are really poor demos with samples and don't showcase how close you can get with samples at all. But they are done using a very inexpensive sample set so what can you expect.

"Across the Stars" was not convincing at all - though, as a user of Garritan Personal Orchestra, I will say that it is possible to get a bit more out of the library, particularly by layering the string sections with solo strings. It gives the timbre some much needed variance.

there is no breath there! Why do they insist on doing it.

I was hoping it was like... a demo recording of the love theme...as in... John at the piano playing something that would one day become the love theme... blast

Dont' do that to me lol

You can still hear a few of the problems... the tempi doesn't follow the breathing correctly... the strings especially sound odd..

I'm pretty convinced John uses flat tone... no vibrato... and with great orchestras you can do that with so much more power than vibrato... and I think this sound library used it...

Is it just me or do the low strings sound like they're playing too fast?... like really off... And why use a piano over a harp at the end...

blah

cool exercise...

there is no breath there! Why do they insist on doing it.

I was hoping it was like... a demo recording of the love theme...as in... John at the piano playing something that would one day become the love theme... blast

Dont' do that to me lol

You can still hear a few of the problems... the tempi doesn't follow the breathing correctly... the strings especially sound odd..

I'm pretty convinced John uses flat tone... no vibrato... and with great orchestras you can do that with so much more power than vibrato... and I think this sound library used it...

What do you mean by using "no vibrato"? The strings almost always play with vibrato or it would sound very wrong in this kind of setting. You only use no vibrato as an effect or if you play very pianissimo.

I'm not so sure about that. If you listen, they have perfect pitch. There are instances where they obviously use vibrato... but I find that no vibrato has a much stronger sound... not to mention it's harder to do...

It was just an observation. The virbato used in this case is wrong...too wide... too much... something is wrong about it. Too obvious perhaps?

I'm not so sure about that. If you listen, they have perfect pitch. There are instances where they obviously use vibrato... but I find that no vibrato has a much stronger sound... not to mention it's harder to do...  

It was just an observation. The virbato used in this case is wrong...too wide... too much... something is wrong about it. Too obvious perhaps?

Well, I don't care if you are sure - you are dead wrong:) Vibrato is ALWAYS used when playing something lyrical. It would sound horrible without. And that goes for all the string sections.

There are other reasons why these samples don't work very well - as I pointed out, they are very inexpensive so you shouldn't expect them to be top notch. The musicians were probably not very good either.

It's a good attempt for a sample... but sadly, it sounds too mechanical, because a computer probably never can learn to find musical and melodic lines properly... that will forever be organic.

It's a good attempt for a sample... but sadly, it sounds too mechanical, because a computer probably never can learn to find musical and melodic lines properly... that will forever be organic.

No, it is not a good attempt with samples.

This is: http://home.online.no/~finjaco/legionsofdarkness.mp3

And this isnt too bad either, although it is a bit older with worse samples: http://www2.hku.nl/%7Ejnd/files/demos_beta...asbergersen.mp3

Not my demos btw.

I think you are all wrong. Being one who works with samples all day, and knowing the somewhat lame quality of the GPO library I am very impressed by that attempt. Especially the legato strings sound nice. By the way the author was a teenager.

Hey Simon! Would you mind PMing me? I am in dire need of a good library for Rock Band. Obviously to purchase. Preferably, I'd like to find some sort of library on the upper end that has ALL instruments from a rock ensemble included, but if you have ideas of separate libraries, that would help too!

I've looked at VSL's distortion guitar and was impressed, but I just want to see what else is out there. Thanks!

I'm not impressed. As far as synthesized music goes, it ain't bad, but when I compare it to the original recording, I'm reminded why real orchestras won't have any real competition for many, many years.

Well,it might sound perfect in 5 years.Than someone here will do a complete ToD .Althought it took this guy 190 hours(lets see,8 complete days) for this one cue

K.M.

Well,it might sound perfect in 5 years.Than someone here will do a complete ToD .Althought it took this guy 190 hours(lets see,8 complete days) for this one cue

K.M.

Yes, this guy is not a pro composer, who can work at a viable speed. I can do 1-3 minutes a day, fully orchestrated and mixed with samples.

I'm glad some other people heard it too - the Across the Stars demo was TERRIBLE. No breath, no life. Exactly why people hate samples.

Jason

BTW, here's my three minutes I did today - about 10 hours total:

http://www.rednoteaudio.com/SH/SHMainTheme_Mix03.mp3

come on this is GPO we are talking about. the absolute worst library ever. I don't know why its fan base are so proud of it over at NSS forum. Decent job for some kid, shouldnt have taken him like 3 days or whatever it did. But i accidentally bought this library and have never used it cuz it sucks so bad.

Yeah, I got GPO for free and used a few of the solo instruments, especially the violins, until I got the Pro XP Platinum expansion. Everything else sounds really small and thin (by comparison to my normal samples). But I guess it's a good value for $300.

And I think he said he spent 190 hours hours on it. :eek: