Where did JW Get His Idea for Anakin's Dark Deed?

Damo

Hey just wondering considering the soft choir in "Anakin's Dark Deed" is so similar to the soft choir in LOTR FOTR "Three Is Company" from complete recording OST, did he get his idea from that?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, that's probably the worst section of the OST. (Padme's Ruminations is a close contender...why include that instead of, say, "News of the Attack" or the cue accompanying Padme's funeral or any of the other brilliant unreleased cues?) When I first heard it, I did a double-take. I had the distinct impression that I'd inadvertently placed a LOTR soundtrack in the player and not Star Wars. It works well enough in the movie...but there was no need to put it on the OST. It's basically a direct lift from LOTR, and the choir seems to be synthesized...so I'm guessing this was a last-minute scoring decision.

Or maybe we can just forget about other scores when listening to it and realize that section works perfectly in the scene. The way it's structured it feels to me like it's almost like a bridge between Lament and the bulk of Anakin's Dark Deeds.

It seems not only FotR was in the temp track. I have been recently listening to "Star Gate" by David Arnold and I found a striking similarity of "ADD" main melody to one of "SG" themes - the one which opens "Giza (...)" track, for instance

IMO, that's probably the worst section of the OST.  (Padme's Ruminations is a close contender...why include that instead of, say, "News of the Attack" or the cue accompanying Padme's funeral or any of the other brilliant unreleased cues?)  When I first heard it, I did a double-take.  I had the distinct impression that I'd inadvertently placed a LOTR soundtrack in the player and not Star Wars.  It works well enough in the movie...but there was no need to put it on the OST.  It's basically a direct lift from LOTR, and the choir seems to be synthesized...so I'm guessing this was a last-minute scoring decision.

Oh yes, because we all know Howard Shore is the first and only composer to write for big choirs in films. In foreign languages. As Duel of the Fates was surely not written three years prior to that and with Sanskrit lyrics.

Don't you realise that you are correcting things Datameister didn't even mention or even imply?

And yes, I think writing for various choirs in at least five different foreign languages (which by the way nobody ever attempted to translate into music of this scope) may very well be a first. And each one needs to have a sound to it.

Well my comment was just as much of a generalisation as the original post.

EDIT - Oh my, I seem a bit crabby today. I haven't been on here in a while. I forget how bad internet posts are at communicating one's true feelings.

They maybe similar in a way but they're both different. The soft choir in Anakin's Dark Deed has a different melody and it in different key. The choir and the bass drum or Taiko drum can be heard much more clearly compared to soft choir LOTR FOTR considering it has sustain note from the strings and the bass drum or Taiko Drum can be barley heard...or wait that could be to do with the recording and mixing...

I think the beginning of Anakin's Dark Deeds is definitely been temped with LotR music from the Three is Company scene. Although the tone of the music is the same the melody is not. The choir is clearly humming the Anakin's Dark Deeds theme.

Still this is one of the more blantant temp track leaks in Williams' scores.

Oh yes, because we all know Howard Shore is the first and only composer to write for big choirs in films. In foreign languages. As Duel of the Fates was surely not written three years prior to that and with Sanskrit lyrics.

You're right, he wasn't. But that's entirely unrelated to this thread, which deals with very soft boys' choir music--NOT the apocalyptic "big choir" music you're talkinga bout. If you'd like to verify just how similar this section is to LOTR, compare the first thirty seconds of the FotR OST's "The Treason of Isengard" to the first thirty seconds of the ROTS OST's "Anakin's Dark Deeds." Same key signature (A minor), with extremely similar orchestration (boys' choir singing wordlessly over fifths in the strings, with occasional bass drum hits). The boys' choir sings a melody that's quite obviously lifted from LOTR; both melodies are basically permutations of the notes C D E and F.

I'm sorry you were having a bad day, magical me, but if you're going to unleash sarcastic attacks on what others say, at least do so after thoroughly reading the previous posts and taking a listen to the music being discussed. :P