What JW score are you looking forward to the most?

UCFKevin

What JW score are you looking forward to the most?  

31 members have voted

1. 1.

• Star Wars Episode III: Return of Howard the Duck
    • Indiana Jones IV: The Desperate Hunt for the Fountain of Youth
    • Minority Report: Um...I got nothin'...
    • Harry Potter II (assuming he's doing it)
    • Something else. Bah to those options!

Granted, some of these are very far off, but eh...live with it.

Anyway, my choice is for Indy 4. I just yearn to hear that wonderful fanfare once again, especially in a powerful sound system in a swanky movie theater.

VERY close second is Episode III. What WILL JW do for the duel between Anakin and Obiwan? The jeans cream at the thought....

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will score Harry Potter 2. He confirmed it on CNN. The score I'm looking forward to the most is Catch Me If You Can. So, obviously, I voted for "other".

Dan - who wonders if Johnny is considering any non-Spielberg/Lucas projects for next year. (Timeline should be his!!)

To be totally honest, I lost my faith in Lucas handeling a SW score. While I look forward to the music for it, I don't want to look forward to what will become of it.

Harry Potter -- This would be my second choice. I love the first score, and I am certainly looking forward to this one.

Minority Report -- More Williams action music! Yay! But, it may be in a techno style that I'm not sure I'll like.

Therefore, my vote went to Indy. I love the other three scores, and if #4 is composed in the original Indy style, this score will be awesome!

~Harry :)

He will score Harry Potter 2.  He confirmed it on CNN.  The score I'm looking forward to the most is Catch Me If You Can.  So, obviously, I voted for "other".  

Dan - who wonders if Johnny is considering any non-Spielberg/Lucas projects for next year.  (Timeline should be his!!)

Didn't you mention Oliver Stone's Alexander? If he composes that score, it should be awesome!

~Harry

Dan - who wonders if Johnny is considering any non-Spielberg/Lucas projects for next year.  (Timeline should be his!!)

Now Dan and I are in complete agreement. Timeline screams John Williams score.

But I hope he doesn't score anymore films by Stone.

Joe, who would like John to score a little film called Knowing.

Hmm....the first time Donner and Williams work together again since Supes. THAT would be awesome.

I could see/hear Williams doing Timeline. It definitely needs a hell of a score to go along with the plot and the action. I wouldn't trust anyone BUT Williams.

This topic is something that I've been wondering for a while. What will Mr. Williams be scoring next year? There hasn't been a confirmation yet on anything, only speculation. Anyone have any news?

~Harry

Oh, c'mon, Joe! If Stone were to do a huge Roman epic, you wouldn't want Johnny to score it? That screams Oscar! And the fact that Scorcese is trying to get one going means that Bernstein will return to his The Ten Commandments days. Surely, you would like to see Elmer and Johnny go against eachother once again.

Dan - who thinks you'll see that this year......plus a little score to a film called The Two Towers

Well, Kevin --- I think Jerry Goldsmith could do a fine job as well.

Williams, Goldsmith, Arnold, Howard, Horner, Goldenthal (à la Final Fantasy), and Zimmer -- in order of preferrence for Timeline.

Dan - who thinks Johnny's possible future looks awesome:

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack Of The Clones

Minority Report

Harry Potter and the Chamber Of Secrets

Catch Me If You Can

Timeline

Indiana Jones 4

Harry Potter and Prisoner Of Azkaban

Alexander

Star Wars: Episode III

Lincoln and/or

War Of The Worlds and/or

Ghost Soldiers

...........wow..... :)

He could just decide to take the year off, Harry. Maybe write his Horn Concerto and score 1 film and possibly start on a piano concerto or something.

Dan - overwhelmed by just thinking of it.

sorry Dan, I don't get into Stone's films. They don't do it for me. I am not a fan of LOTR FOTR. I am not looking forward to TT. I am looking forward to Harry Potter and the Room of Secrets.

Harry if you want to know what the film Knowing is about this will give you some details.

Joe, who thinks this film could either be good or schlock.

I'm really hoping the Ep III will turn out to be one of his finest scores yet. Somehow, all of these themes will come together and make Ep II a much better score.

My fingers are crossed.

Doesn't that go for any film, Joe?

I had the opportunity the work with Stone and not only is he an amazing filmmaker, he's quite an amazing person. Volatile and unpredictably harsh at times, but incredibly interesting.

I thought JFK and Nixon were excellent films. I fell asleep during Heaven and Earth and thought Any Given Sunday was greatly flawed (that's where I worked with him). But the entire film was a mess from start to finish. I did, however, think his scripts for Scarface, JFK, and Evita were quite good. Whatever.....

I've never seen Born On The Fourth Of July, Wall Street, or Platoon. But I plan on seeing them soon, actually. I've been on a movie-watching craze lately, preparing for some projects I'm working on for this year and next.

Now that I think about it, I guess that's why you don't like Williams' score to Born On The Fourth, huh? Was it because of the film and the music or did you feel that Johnny was too busy with ...The Last Crusade?

Dan - wondering what Joe's thoughts are

I have generally thought 1989 was a very bad year for John Williams and for me.

I think it is well known that I don't like Born of the Fourth of July, both film and movie. And the score for Least Crusade is one of John's weakest efforts ever.

My BOT4J cd is a dust collector. My Least Crusade cd isn't only because I try to give it a chance ever so often to prove myself wrong. So far I haven't produced those results.

But I look at it this way. John cannot always produce great quality. He must have something that we can judge his greatness against. 1989 is considered by many on this board to be a home run for John. But to me he struck out.

About Stone, I find his films competent but souless. Platoon is a very powerful film, but it is a film that can be watched once and then it is over. It isn't entertainment. He did produce a film of great horror. JFK was way out there, Nixon was a bore and I haven't seen the football film.

Hope this clear things up.

Joe.

JFK way out there? You mean theory-wise?

Nixon was "boring" at times, but that's because it was about......well, Nixon! It's an amazing study of the man and Hopkins' performance is impeccable, as is Powers Boothe's and Joan Allen's.

He recreated the White House and the Nixon Presidency without a single flaw, I thought. And the film, visually, is very very good.

Now, granted, I love Anthony Hopkins, love bio-pics, love politics, love American History and have always been fascinated with the Presidency.

Dan - who, since 4th grade, can list every single president the U.S. has had and who's met two of them. :)

Minority Report -- More Williams action music! Yay! But, it may be in a techno style that I'm not sure I'll like.

Non-sense, if anything we'd get something like Goldsmith's mix of of orchestra and techno.

And Ancient epics... are the kings of all scores. They are usually a composers best score. Williams has already tackled some epics though, like Star Wars. But it should be bloody brilliant! I can not understand anyone who isn't over the moon about the possblity of Williams scoring such a film. It's almost like winning the lottery! GREAT NEWS!

I have generally thought 1989 was a very bad year for John Williams and for me.

I loved that year! Though I was very young, but great year for music.

I think it is well known that I don't like Born of the Fourth of July, both film and movie. And the score for Least Crusade is one of John's weakest efforts ever.

Insanity!

Anyway, on the list I am most looking forward to indy because it had been so long since the last one.

JoeinAr wrote: About Stone, I find his films competent but souless.  

I thought Stone's "Doors" movie was great and full of soul.

He got the drug haze of Morrison just right in cinematography.

The Peyote scenes out in the desert where simply amazing.

And of course, because i love Doors music anyway...hehehe.

P.S : I was suprised to hear Stone is directing this 'Alexander' though. Last i had heard, Ridley scott was doing it. But how things change. The whole "inner subjective dialogue" of of Alexander could be done well by Stone i reckon. I think this film needs to be handled correctly, otherwise it will be glorifying and making hero's out of power crazed lunatics (like history has already done with him). This film needs to show the chronicled moment where alexander asked his guards to leave his arms hanging out of his funeral shroud, to show that although he conquered many countries and killed thousands of people...he now held nothing in his hands, and it had all been worthless. Although the cynic in me is pretty damn sure that Hollywood is going to make this guy into a Maximus Desimus Meridius hero without showing that Alexander was a bit loopy and had quite an inferiority complex.

P.S : I heard that Jude Law was lined up to play him. Good choice. :)

What were they thinking when someone suggested Leo Di Caprio? :(

Minority Report. The trailers... :baaa:

Also Dan....that list....you took my breath away. :)

Justin -Who is looking forward to Potter right after Minority. :)

I'm looking forward to the Minority Report score. Just seeing the trailers and what the movie is going to be like, I think the score is going to be awesome.

-Jason

P.S : I was suprised to hear Stone is directing this 'Alexander' though. Last i had heard, Ridley scott was doing it. But how things change.  The whole "inner subjective dialogue" of of Alexander could be done well by Stone i reckon.  I think this film needs to be handled correctly, otherwise it will be glorifying and making hero's out of power crazed lunatics (like history has already done with him). This film needs to show the chronicled moment where alexander asked his guards to leave his arms hanging out of his funeral shroud, to show that although he conquered many countries and killed thousands of people...he now held nothing in his hands, and it had all been worthless. Although the cynic in me is pretty damn sure that Hollywood is going to make this guy into a Maximus Desimus Meridius hero without showing that Alexander was a bit loopy and had quite an inferiority complex.

There's also talk that Scorcese wanted to do an Alexander movie. The Ridley Scott production and the Oliver Stone production are separate entities.

As for which score I'm looking forward to the most: A tie between the first three.

Then Alexander was a total fool. I would have thought that considering he would have to be smart, that he would have done it for an ideology rather than all for himself. Or perhaps in the end he only cared about himself.

JoeinAr wrote: About Stone, I find his films competent but souless.  

And of course, because i love Doors music anyway...hehehe.

P.S : I was suprised to hear Stone is directing this 'Alexander' though. Last i had heard, Ridley scott was doing it. But how things change.

P.S : I heard that Jude Law was lined up to play him. Good choice. :)

What were they thinking when someone suggested Leo Di Caprio? :baaa:

You are right, Melange. As a matter of fact, there are three Alexander pics are in the works. Dino DeLaurentiis (producer of the Hannibal Lecter trilogy) is developing one and would like Ridley Scott to helm it (from his work on Gladiator and their relationship during Hannibal.) Jude Law is rumoured to be the star of this one.

For Stone's version, Heath Ledger has been cast and I'm sure it will have a huge Oliver Stone cast as most of his films do.

The other version is rumoured to be helmed by Martin Scorcese and Leo DiCaprio might snag the role.

SO -- in other words, we might get a John Williams Alexander score, a Hans Zimmer Alexander score, and an Elmer Bernstein Alexander score all in the next two years..

Dan - finding that exciting and going to see Episode II RIGHT NOW

Thats happened a few times now.

Two Columbus pictures were released at the same time. 1492 and another forgotten one.

Also two Wyatt Earp ones were released around same time. Tombstone/Wyatt Earp.

But 3 Alexander movies?...That would just leave people lost as to which one to chose.

There were 2 Spartacus that were going to be filmed. However, one was canceled because some of the crew moved out of the production and some to the Kubrick production because it had a better script

I voted for Minority Report mainly because that's the first one being released!

:( Clarinet Concerto (Williams)

Thats happened a few times now.

Two Columbus pictures were released at the same time. 1492 and another forgotten one.

The other one was Christopher Colombus: The Discovery from Alexander Salkind. I liked Cliff Eidelman's score.

Hector - who always thought Williams wrote "Celebrate Discovery!" two years earlier to make time for someone that was going to ask him to write a Colombus score, but at the end no one did :(

Well, the same could be said about the onslaught (good word, Harry) of WWII pics made after Saving Private Ryan. Now, thankfully, they're branching out to the American Revolution, Vietnam, Korean conflict, and one or two Desert Storm pics.

Dan - who will direct a Civil War film

I'm excited about all of them, but I can't wait for Chamber of Secrets! Hearing different variations of themes from the first movie and new themes for the second one will be fantastic. The score should be a good deal darker, given the content of the movie.

Ray Barnsbury

To be totally honest, I lost my faith in Lucas handeling a SW score. While I look forward to the music for it, I don't want to look forward to what will become of it.

I voted for EP3,but think the same as Potter.

K.M.Awaiting another disastrous editing of the EP3 score,if Williams decides to score it.If I were him,I wouldn't really bother dooing a great score.

K.M.Who has listened to his EP2 c.d. once,after getting bored of the MP3's.

Johnny will score it. His contract was signed for all three prequels and he will do a great score, because that is what the film requires.

Don't worry about it --- you'll have an awesome score. You might have a stellar release, but you'll have an awesome score.

Director - loving this candle that's burning next to his computer. :)

• 2 weeks later...